Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Fairmont San Francisco Review

I am a fan of Fairmonts in general, and though the brand is not absolutely consistent, it has often delivered high quality service and physical facilities. The Fairmont SFO is no exception. A very nice property and generally courteous and professional service.
Location is great. It's right on top of Nob Hill, so the view is quite spectacular. I was in the Tower, and my room had a harbour view, which means I could see Alcatraz from my room. At night the lights of the city below are quite enticing.
I was in SFO for business in the Union Square area, which is only a quarter of a mile from the hotel. But because the hotel is up on the hill, it's away from the noise and crowds below. I consider the location of the Fairmont to be ideal -- close enough to things but a place to escape to after.
But it's on a hill. A steep one to boot. I like walking, but still going up gets tough especially if you do it two or three times a day. Of course you can also do the cable car, or take a cab. But I thought the walk would do me good after all the nice good in the city.
The room is spacious. It's called a deluxe room in the Tower. Marble bathroom. Separate shower and tub. Miller Harris toliteries as usual. Bathrobes, etc.
Large Flat screen TV, though reception is a bit iffy. No stereo equipment, other than an IPOD docking station/alarm clock. No coffee/tea making equipment in the room -- this is disappointment, since I have always enjoyed a cup of their nice Fairmont selection of teas in my rooms.
Electronic safe in room, which is very nice. A/C works, if not extremely powerful, it is effective enough. Good closet space, though if you have a lot of overcoats etc it may become a bit cramped.
Room in very good condition. I encountered none of the worn out conditions that some other reviewers mentioned. As is, my room, at least, does not even need a reno job. It's nice enough for a Fairmont.
Breakfast in the Laurel Court. It's included in my rate. Very wide selection of foods for breakfast buffet. $28 per person. Given what's available and the quality, it's a bargain. I did not have other meals at the hotel.
The lobby is probably the grandest part of the hotel. Impressive.
All in all, a very nice hotel. If I go back to SFO, I'll definitely check out this hotel first.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:07 am

Post Fairmont san francisco question

Would like to ask you 2 question:

We have booked two different stays usin NFAF promotion for March 2010 at Fairmont San Francisco

1- As American Express Platinum there are any special amenities at this hotel. We stayed twice last year at Fairmont Resort in Aventura on North Miami Beach, and both times they gave us a $50 daily resort credit when paying with Amex.

2- On the second stays in march this year we need to request an extra late check out like 7pm, our flight leaves at 11PM, could this be possible.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by RICKIEMIGUEL
1- As American Express Platinum there are any special amenities at this hotel. We stayed twice last year at Fairmont Resort in Aventura on North Miami Beach, and both times they gave us a $50 daily resort credit when paying with Amex.
There are amenities if you book through Amex Platinum FHR, however, since you are on the NFAF rate, there is nothing.

2- On the second stays in march this year we need to request an extra late check out like 7pm, our flight leaves at 11PM, could this be possible.

If you are plat/premiere you are guaranteed 4 oclock checkout. You can try to request 7 pm, although that is pretty late. It will depend how busy / nice the hotel is. This can't really be predicted, but yes, it COULD be possible.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 8:41 am

thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RICKIEMIGUEL
Would like to ask you 2 question:

We have booked two different stays usin NFAF promotion for March 2010 at Fairmont San Francisco

We were on this deal with the Winter Rate if you pay with the American Express. You would have to book the rate which is obviously going to more than NFAF.

I agree that you can only request it.. but weird that you wouldn't get supper before leaving for the airport. I would check out as late as possible, have them store your luggage for you.. walk the China Town strip and get supper.. I mean its right there!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:36 am

Request for GM contact info + suite upgrade experience

I'm headed down there in August on a very affordable rate. Currently upgraded to "Main Building Suite" which appears quite nice and spacious. Mrs. Quank is an environmentally/sustainability nut and would be very excited to be in the "Lexus Hybrid Living Suite". I think my chances of getting comp upgrade into this room is slim considering the rate is like $899/night. Any tips on how I might score this? Message the GM? Call close to the date and see if it's available?

On a related note, any recent suite upgrade experience here?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by quank
I'm headed down there in August on a very affordable rate. Currently upgraded to "Main Building Suite" which appears quite nice and spacious. Mrs. Quank is an environmentally/sustainability nut and would be very excited to be in the "Lexus Hybrid Living Suite". I think my chances of getting comp upgrade into this room is slim considering the rate is like $899/night. Any tips on how I might score this? Message the GM? Call close to the date and see if it's available?

On a related note, any recent suite upgrade experience here?
Stayed at the Fairmont SFO this April and used a suite upgrade cert:

Their designated suite upgrade category is a "Main Building Suite", I was able to get a confirmed upgrade to a "Main Building Balcony Suite" which was very nice. FPC doesn´t even confirm upgrades to the Tower Suites, so I think you´re out of luck with regards to the "Lexus Hybrid Living suite", but it never hurts to send the hotel an e-mail and ask if they´re willing to upgrade you (for a surcharge).

If you´re interested in my opinion on the three "standard" suites:

"Main Building Suite":
- basically two standard rooms connected with each other
- pretty spacious bedroom and living room, but small bathroom (probably the smallest one I´ve seen at a Fairmont)
- some modern amenities (flat TV, ipod docking station etc.), but overall traditional furnishing

"Main Building Balcony Suite":
- see above, plus a HUGE private balcony (mine was about 200 sq.ft., and I very much enjoyed having breakfast / a glass of wine on the balcony, had a great view of the SFO skyline)

Tower Suite:
- a little bit smaller, more modern design, larger bathrooms
- great views of the skyline from the Tower

If I were you, I´d try to get a tower suite or a balcony suite, the main building suite is decent, but nothing special IMO.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
If I were you, I´d try to get a tower suite or a balcony suite, the main building suite is decent, but nothing special IMO.
Thanks for the advice Jasper - will do some digging and see what I get!
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by quank
Thanks for the advice Jasper - will do some digging and see what I get!
Just found some photos of the rooms/suites and the property on the Fairmont website:

http://www.fairmont.com/EN_FA/Proper...os/propertyvrx

(unlike other properties the rooms indeed look like the rooms in the video )

P.S. If you decide to go for a balcony suite, try to get one facing the roof garden (views of the skyline are much better than the views from the other side of the building)
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We've stayed in the Main Building Suite Before.. nice traditional charm.. But, I must say that we would prefer the Bay Tower Suites.. I think we were on the 28th floor once.. Corner Suite Bay Tower is nice as well, and another suite on the 24th floor.. But basically, Bay view overlooking Alcatraz if I remember correctly, an amazing feeling when overlooking the Bay..

Phone front desk, maybe they've got an FPC deal they can cut to do a Bay Tower Suite, or Lexus/Hybrid Sustainability Suite.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Received 3 complimentary nights and breakfast Fairmont San Francisco

Just received in the mail 3 complimentary nights to Fairmont San Francisco in a Signature King room with free breakfast for 2.

I was talking to the Regional Marketing Manager about missing the Fairmont San Francisco Lifetime Platinum deal.. She said she would send me a token gift for the advertising mistake.

So the token gift is 3 complinmentary nights in a Signature King Room, with complimentary breakfast for two every morning.

We'll be in SoCal in July.. so I guess we'll take a break from Disneyland and divert for 3 nights. Thanks for the gesture.. as obviously I'm dissapointed with the LifeTime Plat deal.. this makes it up a bit!

I guess not bad.. looked up the dates when we'll be going.. $519 per night for bed and breakfast.. so $1,500+ retail in inducements. Feeling a bit better.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
wow, I've never heard "losing" sound so good.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
My recent stay at the Fairmont San Francisco

I had a very pleasant stay at the Fairmont San Francisco. This was my third stay there in the past five or so years and I've always enjoyed my visits.

This time I had a wonderful tour of the property as well.

My visit allowed me to take in the true Fairmont SF experience, including drinks in the Tonga Room (kitsch is fun ), breakfast at the Laurel Court, etc.

I also visited the new Intersect lounge, which is very cool.

Here are a few photos - a more detailed review (with three slide shows) is online here.

Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jspira
I had a very pleasant stay at the Fairmont San Francisco. This was my third stay there in the past five or so years and I've always enjoyed my visits.

This time I had a wonderful tour of the property as well.

My visit allowed me to take in the true Fairmont SF experience, including drinks in the Tonga Room (kitsch is fun ), breakfast at the Laurel Court, etc.

Sounds good..

The renovated foyer is very nicely done.. we shall visit this as planned on our SoCal excursion this summer..

Does the hotel offer this tour as part of their schedule?.. I know the Banff Springs has regular castle tours..
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by jspira
I have been there 3 times this year and never heard of Intersect until you mentioned it.

I am a big fan of the Fairmont SF for its large charming rooms and forced exercise program. A nice walk to the top of Nob Hill after gorging down below keeps the waist line trim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.