Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: AC SE, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Diamond, Hilton Gold
Stayed here for nine nights a couple of weeks ago. Some thoughts as a Diamond:
  • Rates at this property are relatively low – it's good value.
  • Great location as Nob Hill is central, yet very calm and peaceful.
  • There were a ton of reviews on TripAdvisor that the hotel was run down and poorly maintained. I didn't think it was that bad, although the office chair in the room should be replaced and the bed skirt was showing a little wear and tear. Not nearly as bad as the reviews indicated.
  • The people working at the hotel ranged from really friendly to ok. For example, when passing in the hallway some would smile and say hello and others would look down. They might benefit from a little more training in this area. Wasn't bad, just didn't live up to Fairmont/luxury expectations.
  • Housekeeping was excellent. They were very on top of all the rooms.
  • Booked a base room and was upgraded to a Tower room on an upper floor with an incredible view of the Golden Gate, Alcatraz and Coit Tower. One of the best hotel views I have ever had and was better than the view at the Top of the Mark. It was a stunner.
  • No amenity was provided and the weekend breakfast benefit was a credit. I think it was between $80 and $90, but was reasonable. Food was quite good.
  • The gym is excellent as it is run by a third-party. This is an area where Fairmont properties tend to be really weak, but wasn't the case here. The only issue is that the hours are a little weird. For example on the weekend you can't enter between noon and 1pm. That said, I think the tradeoff is worth it as you get a full gym.
  • Really beautiful gardens on the roof. We only discovered them on our last day.
  • President Biden was at the hotel for part of our stay. It meant that all the roads were blocked off around the hotel and there was extensive security to enter. Wasn't a huge deal, and added a little excitement to the stay.
  • The Tonga Room. Hmmm. I went in with low expectations on the food and they weren't met. The drinks were good though. If you want to go book a reservation through the hotel if you are staying there. We got a nice poolside table.
  • 2:30 late check-out was granted with no issue.
Overall a really good stay. I'd stay here again.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Just completed a two night stay. I used two suite night upgrades to go from a basic queen room to a Main Building Suite, which was upgraded at check-in to a corner suite. The room was ready at my requested early check-in time (11 am) and we got a 4 pm checkout. Two welcome drink tickets were presented at check-in but there was no mention of my Accor status or any other status benefits. The welcome amenity (I think) was three macarons each evening.

The room on the 6th floor was quiet and had a nice view of the Cathedral. The living room had a large dining table, big sofa, two chairs, coffee table, desk, and big refreshment center. Very spacious and functional but not a lot of character. The bedroom was well separated down a hallway, and had a walk-in closet and king sized bed. The bed was extremely comfortable. There were plenty of outlets. Bathroom was big, with a tub, separate shower stall and double sink. Water pressure was good and hot water came quickly. The big bottle of hand lotion in the bathroom was empty and the battery in the scale was dead. Tea bags were not replenished in the refreshment center.

There is a $35 daily junk fee which includes "Daily bottled water" (never provided) and a $10 daily credit in the coffee bar which covered either a pastry or drink but not both. It also includes use of the hotel bicycles, access to the fitness center, and an in-room movie, none of which we used. You had to request turndown service, which I found out after not getting it the first night, and didn't it need the second night. Physical newspapers are not available despite that being a listed Platinum amenity.

Overall a pretty good stay and a good use of the upgrade certificates, but they really need more attention to detail.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Mixed feelings

Yet another stay at this hotel - my 6th or 7th I can't remember, and it comes with mixed feelings.

Booked a Signature Bayview tower room for 3 nights with a special fare which included various perks including breakfast, room credit, and upgrade subject to availability.

I checked in quite late (as per the ETA I indicated). Receptionist was friendly. When I enquired about the upgrade, I was told that no suite was available tonight but may be later so the receptionist would put a note in the booking and I should check the next morning around 11 as that is the time when most people check out. I was told that in the meantime, since upgrade was not available, I had been put on the top floor. I was told that the inclusive breakfast represented value of $90 per room in the restaurant or room service. I was thanked for being a platinum member and given a drink voucher for 1 and handed my key.

The platinum amenity was waiting for me in the room, a bottle of Evian, and a small box of chocolate. Not particularly impressive. The room itself was as I remember. Nothing special with the decor or anything, but remarkable panoramic views of the Bay which I love. The bathroom has separate (standard US) bathtub and shower. Products are still Lab rose but in large containers (yikes).

Next morning, I woke up early as predictable with jetlag. The $90 credit got me exactly one egg benedict, one avocado toast and a glass of (not fresh squeezed) juice. Honestly, if it was not included, I would never pay that sort of money for that sort of food, and to make things worse, the egg Benedict was frankly mediocre at best (dry English muffin, wafer thin supermarket style ham, not enough hollandaise. Only the poached eggs were well cooked). The avocado toast was a bit better without being spectacular in any way.

After a brisk morning walk, I came back to reception around 11 to see if as mentioned the evening before, I was able to get my upgrade wondering what type of room I'd be offered and whether I'd take it (I didn't really want to lose nice views altogether). After a longish queue (peak check out time indeed, and the priority Accor counter didn't work as priority at all), I finally got to speak to one of the reception agents. When I explained why I was there, he looked at me like I was a smart Alec trying my luck and told me that I was already in the highest room category so he wasn't sure what I wanted to be upgraded into. I patiently explained that his colleague the evening before was the one telling me that she was trying to upgrade me to a suite but none was available for that night but should be the next day so I should check at reception and she would leave a note. He answered that they can't upgrade people from rooms to suite, hinting quite unsubtly that I was making his colleague's words up (I was not. She said all the things I mention above).

At that stage I wasn't entirely sure what to do so wrote to my TA (whom I know had also requested the upgrade based on the rate perks, as well as communicated my plat number. I knew suites were available (the receptionist made no mystery of it) so I was left wondering if both my TA and the reception lady who checked me in were incompetent (I know some hotels do exclude upgrades into suites) or if the reception guy I spoke to on days 2 was the one making things up and finding excuses not to give me the upgrade I was supposed to get on two different grounds! The TA replied that they believe I should get the upgrade and wrote to their contacts and I am waiting to see if I end up getting any resolution or at least message before I leave.

Meanwhile, used used the drink voucher to get a nice cocktail, and used some of my credit for room service dinner. basic cheeseburger is listed at $32, which means that once you factor in tray charge, their compulstory 20% service and tax, the bill goes up to over $52 (yes, that is just for the cheeseburger and fries - no extras as bacon or avocado would result in over $10 more to the final bill or over $20 for both, no dessert, no drink, etc. Just the burger with fries. It is, for all practical purposes, a very basic cheeseburger. Patty is not only unremarkable but cam a tough dark grey whilst I had asked for mine to be rare. There is a salad leaf, slice of tomato and some raw red onion. Not even a pickle. Fries are the standard McDonald's frozen fries type - surely, in this day and age, a luxury hotel restaurant could have the basic dedication to cook fresh fries? In short, whilst it wasn't atrocious, it really wasn't g.oing beyond a standard diner burger.

So, where does it leave us? I like this hotel because of its nice location and great views from some of the rooms. Both things are still a great attraction so I can certainly see myself returning for the same. Having said that, I just think that the hotel is adding very little value, as well as 0 without wishing to come across as DYKWIA - showing very little interest in a multi-repeat customer with relatively high (only platinum, not diamond but still) status. I frequently book those rates with upgrades as a perk, andi I find it rather sad that it has been taken far more seriously in most hotels - including in San Francisco - where I have exactly zero status than in this one where even my status alone should have been enough to be considered for an upgrade. I fully acknowledge that upgrades are never guaranteed, but here, I don't really appreciate the contradictory messages and being told on day 1 that they would have upgraded me but suites were not available so I should check the next day... to then be told suites are available but I'm not eligible to be upgraded into one. So I guess next time, I might end up coming back but will certainly check out what the competition is offering first, and if they do better, I may well pick somewhere else over the Fairmont.

As an aside, I'm a bit sad to see what Central San Francisco is becoming. Siuch a great city but looking really depressing and even a bit rough these days. Endless shops have closed down (Nordstrom, Barneys, the higher end bargain shops such as Saks off 5th and Nordstrom Rack, the big players like Gap and H&M, etc), there are "retail opportunity" signs in front of empty shops everywhere, great numbers of homeless people, Market street and Union square looking like shadows of their former selves etc. I really hope this unique and fabulous city picks up before too long as one really feels a bit saddened by how it seems to have evolved in the past few years.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Yet another stay at this hotel - my 6th or 7th I can't remember, and it comes with mixed feelings.

Booked a Signature Bayview tower room for 3 nights with a special fare which included various perks including breakfast, room credit, and upgrade subject to availability.

I checked in quite late (as per the ETA I indicated). Receptionist was friendly. When I enquired about the upgrade, I was told that no suite was available tonight but may be later so the receptionist would put a note in the booking and I should check the next morning around 11 as that is the time when most people check out. I was told that in the meantime, since upgrade was not available, I had been put on the top floor. I was told that the inclusive breakfast represented value of $90 per room in the restaurant or room service. I was thanked for being a platinum member and given a drink voucher for 1 and handed my key.

The platinum amenity was waiting for me in the room, a bottle of Evian, and a small box of chocolate. Not particularly impressive. The room itself was as I remember. Nothing special with the decor or anything, but remarkable panoramic views of the Bay which I love. The bathroom has separate (standard US) bathtub and shower. Products are still Lab rose but in large containers (yikes).

Next morning, I woke up early as predictable with jetlag. The $90 credit got me exactly one egg benedict, one avocado toast and a glass of (not fresh squeezed) juice. Honestly, if it was not included, I would never pay that sort of money for that sort of food, and to make things worse, the egg Benedict was frankly mediocre at best (dry English muffin, wafer thin supermarket style ham, not enough hollandaise. Only the poached eggs were well cooked). The avocado toast was a bit better without being spectacular in any way.

After a brisk morning walk, I came back to reception around 11 to see if as mentioned the evening before, I was able to get my upgrade wondering what type of room I'd be offered and whether I'd take it (I didn't really want to lose nice views altogether). After a longish queue (peak check out time indeed, and the priority Accor counter didn't work as priority at all), I finally got to speak to one of the reception agents. When I explained why I was there, he looked at me like I was a smart Alec trying my luck and told me that I was already in the highest room category so he wasn't sure what I wanted to be upgraded into. I patiently explained that his colleague the evening before was the one telling me that she was trying to upgrade me to a suite but none was available for that night but should be the next day so I should check at reception and she would leave a note. He answered that they can't upgrade people from rooms to suite, hinting quite unsubtly that I was making his colleague's words up (I was not. She said all the things I mention above).

At that stage I wasn't entirely sure what to do so wrote to my TA (whom I know had also requested the upgrade based on the rate perks, as well as communicated my plat number. I knew suites were available (the receptionist made no mystery of it) so I was left wondering if both my TA and the reception lady who checked me in were incompetent (I know some hotels do exclude upgrades into suites) or if the reception guy I spoke to on days 2 was the one making things up and finding excuses not to give me the upgrade I was supposed to get on two different grounds! The TA replied that they believe I should get the upgrade and wrote to their contacts and I am waiting to see if I end up getting any resolution or at least message before I leave.

Meanwhile, used used the drink voucher to get a nice cocktail, and used some of my credit for room service dinner. basic cheeseburger is listed at $32, which means that once you factor in tray charge, their compulstory 20% service and tax, the bill goes up to over $52 (yes, that is just for the cheeseburger and fries - no extras as bacon or avocado would result in over $10 more to the final bill or over $20 for both, no dessert, no drink, etc. Just the burger with fries. It is, for all practical purposes, a very basic cheeseburger. Patty is not only unremarkable but cam a tough dark grey whilst I had asked for mine to be rare. There is a salad leaf, slice of tomato and some raw red onion. Not even a pickle. Fries are the standard McDonald's frozen fries type - surely, in this day and age, a luxury hotel restaurant could have the basic dedication to cook fresh fries? In short, whilst it wasn't atrocious, it really wasn't g.oing beyond a standard diner burger.

So, where does it leave us? I like this hotel because of its nice location and great views from some of the rooms. Both things are still a great attraction so I can certainly see myself returning for the same. Having said that, I just think that the hotel is adding very little value, as well as 0 without wishing to come across as DYKWIA - showing very little interest in a multi-repeat customer with relatively high (only platinum, not diamond but still) status. I frequently book those rates with upgrades as a perk, andi I find it rather sad that it has been taken far more seriously in most hotels - including in San Francisco - where I have exactly zero status than in this one where even my status alone should have been enough to be considered for an upgrade. I fully acknowledge that upgrades are never guaranteed, but here, I don't really appreciate the contradictory messages and being told on day 1 that they would have upgraded me but suites were not available so I should check the next day... to then be told suites are available but I'm not eligible to be upgraded into one. So I guess next time, I might end up coming back but will certainly check out what the competition is offering first, and if they do better, I may well pick somewhere else over the Fairmont.

As an aside, I'm a bit sad to see what Central San Francisco is becoming. Siuch a great city but looking really depressing and even a bit rough these days. Endless shops have closed down (Nordstrom, Barneys, the higher end bargain shops such as Saks off 5th and Nordstrom Rack, the big players like Gap and H&M, etc), there are "retail opportunity" signs in front of empty shops everywhere, great numbers of homeless people, Market street and Union square looking like shadows of their former selves etc. I really hope this unique and fabulous city picks up before too long as one really feels a bit saddened by how it seems to have evolved in the past few years.
Thanks for your review. In general the US hospitality industry has become totally miserable in post covid (knowing that it was already quite bad before compared to other geographies). And prices...OMG. What you described for your burger at this Fairmont is true everywhere. An average main course with a glass of wine in a "regular" downtown restaurant of a US significant city brings you easily to $80. Insane.
What's even more shocking is that a high end hotel like Fairmont is not capable to serve a burger or egg benedict better than at the local fast food restaurant.
And for SFO, I haven't been there for ages and I love this city but some friends have made me the same description as you and there was something on TV in France about it some months ago. Very sad. It's going to be very hard to reverse this situation.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:19 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thanks for your review. In general the US hospitality industry has become totally miserable in post covid (knowing that it was already quite bad before compared to other geographies). And prices...OMG. What you described for your burger at this Fairmont is true everywhere. An average main course with a glass of wine in a "regular" downtown restaurant of a US significant city brings you easily to $80. Insane.
What's even more shocking is that a high end hotel like Fairmont is not capable to serve a burger or egg benedict better than at the local fast food restaurant.
And for SFO, I haven't been there for ages and I love this city but some friends have made me the same description as you and there was something on TV in France about it some months ago. Very sad. It's going to be very hard to reverse this situation.
I agree with your general point about the US hospitality industry, prices and quality, but I still think that there are differences that are not entirely negligible.

For instance, if I compare the prices at the Fairmont SF to those at the Sofitel in DC, Egg Benedict at the Fairmont are $30 whilst at the Sofitel DC they are at $18. I had the opportunity to say that I didn't find the quality of the breakfast at the Sofitel DC great but I'd say the Fairmont Benedict was even lower. Conversely, the bacon-blue cheese burger at the Sofitel DC was $24. The plain cheeseburger at the Fairmont was $32, and if you want to make it a bacon cheeseburger (because why not! ) the price jumps on to $40! And there, the Opaline burger in DC was actually good and quite original, whilst the Fairmont burger was plain, overcooked and mediocre.

Or I can compare to the Lotte Palace hotel towers at NYC, which is a lot more luxurious than both the Fairmont SF and Sofitel DC. Prices were comparable to the Fairmont (service added only 19% and not 20% as in the Fairmont though!) but the quality is outstanding.

In terms of service, recognition and upgrade, Sofitel DC gave us drink vouchers for 2 per room even with single occupancy, were very graceful with the upgrades (including for my colleague who had the same rate with perk but only silver status) and made us feel a lot more welcome. Other non-Accor hotels where I've stayed this year in NYC, LA, Miami were all also a lot more transparent/coherent about upgrades. In most cases they made them work - including in some cases by generous multiple categories where the category directly above was not available. In some cases, they couldn't but that was clearly due to unavailability. Here, I think what annoyed me is the whole ringmarole: 1) we can't tonight but come back tomorrow, 2) oh we could but we can't because we have availability but don't you expect us to upgrade you from the top room category to a suite combined with that reception guy's demeanour that he clearly thought I was lying when I said it was his colleague who told me to check the next morning (whilst this is exactly what she had told me to do and when she had told me to do it!)

So I completely agree with your general assessment but I still think there are "levels" if that makes sense, and I felt that on this occasion, even by US standards, the Fairmont SF service levels and F&B pricing and quality were pretty underwhelming. I do like some rooms here (some of the main building rooms are a dump by the way and I'd never book them) but service, even within a US context, could, I suspect do with a competent General Manager which I suspect is probably not the case now.

PS: next staying at the infamous Sofitel NY which we all know can be pretty bad on that front including ALL recognition, service and all, but they had a good rate for my stay and the location is what I needed this particular time, so wish me luck, I'll report!
Old Apr 26, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: ALL Platinum, Avis Presidents Club, Marriott Silver, Aeroplan Elite

My pro tip for the Fairmont SF is to directly email their Legendary Chef Concierge, Tom Wolfe, ahead of the stay and let him know all your hopes for your time at the property and around town. We were recently upgraded from a main building king to one of the tower suites on our recent multi-day return to this property (Platinum status). We always stop and visit with Tom every time we stay. Direct requests with staff before stays usually always pays off for me. It is a business of relationships after all!

That being said, we were still disappointed with the Laurel Court and the Tonga room's food again... They really need to revamp that stuff.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I agree with your general point about the US hospitality industry, prices and quality, but I still think that there are differences that are not entirely negligible.

For instance, if I compare the prices at the Fairmont SF to those at the Sofitel in DC, Egg Benedict at the Fairmont are $30 whilst at the Sofitel DC they are at $18. I had the opportunity to say that I didn't find the quality of the breakfast at the Sofitel DC great but I'd say the Fairmont Benedict was even lower. Conversely, the bacon-blue cheese burger at the Sofitel DC was $24. The plain cheeseburger at the Fairmont was $32, and if you want to make it a bacon cheeseburger (because why not! ) the price jumps on to $40! And there, the Opaline burger in DC was actually good and quite original, whilst the Fairmont burger was plain, overcooked and mediocre.

Or I can compare to the Lotte Palace hotel towers at NYC, which is a lot more luxurious than both the Fairmont SF and Sofitel DC. Prices were comparable to the Fairmont (service added only 19% and not 20% as in the Fairmont though!) but the quality is outstanding.

In terms of service, recognition and upgrade, Sofitel DC gave us drink vouchers for 2 per room even with single occupancy, were very graceful with the upgrades (including for my colleague who had the same rate with perk but only silver status) and made us feel a lot more welcome. Other non-Accor hotels where I've stayed this year in NYC, LA, Miami were all also a lot more transparent/coherent about upgrades. In most cases they made them work - including in some cases by generous multiple categories where the category directly above was not available. In some cases, they couldn't but that was clearly due to unavailability. Here, I think what annoyed me is the whole ringmarole: 1) we can't tonight but come back tomorrow, 2) oh we could but we can't because we have availability but don't you expect us to upgrade you from the top room category to a suite combined with that reception guy's demeanour that he clearly thought I was lying when I said it was his colleague who told me to check the next morning (whilst this is exactly what she had told me to do and when she had told me to do it!)

So I completely agree with your general assessment but I still think there are "levels" if that makes sense, and I felt that on this occasion, even by US standards, the Fairmont SF service levels and F&B pricing and quality were pretty underwhelming. I do like some rooms here (some of the main building rooms are a dump by the way and I'd never book them) but service, even within a US context, could, I suspect do with a competent General Manager which I suspect is probably not the case now.

PS: next staying at the infamous Sofitel NY which we all know can be pretty bad on that front including ALL recognition, service and all, but they had a good rate for my stay and the location is what I needed this particular time, so wish me luck, I'll report!
Totally agree with you. Sofitel DC is very good. I just had a very good stay in Sofitel Chicago (review to come).
Good luck for Sofitel NY...can't wait to read your review
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:27 pm

Meanwhile a small update about here: this morning, I received a phone call from the Guest relations manager saying she heard about the mishap on the upgrade and wanted to apologise. She said she would put a note on my file to ensure I will be upgraded to a suite on my next stay and asking if she could "send something nice to the room" in the meantime to apologise about the confusion (which I interpreted to mean a bottle of wine rather than a masseuse, and therefore accepted! ). So at least, someone reacted I guess.

Yes, I'll admit that I fear the worst about my NY stay. My last one, years ago, was crowned by an epic (and very poorly managed) fire alarm incident resulting in a "refreshing" couple of hours in pyjamas in the streets of February New York at 3am in the morning and enough step climbing and unclimbing from the 28th floor to be healthy for a few years... So I guess it can't get too much worse than that....
Old Apr 26, 2024, 6:55 pm

“Something nice”…

To close the chapter, the “something nice” was delivered this evening in the form of a bottle of California Red wine and a rather generous charcuterie platter with condiments, crackers and fruit. I was the one asking the waiter to leave the cling film on as I’d just had some food so didn’t want to have this immediately. But it is actually quite nicely presented, complete with a little pyramid of wooden boards.

i read the message as “we are really sorry” and am perfectly happy to accept the apology in the spirit it is offered and give the hotel another shot on my next visit. I might have without the apology anyway just for the convenience and views (and because in truth i don’t tend to hold a grudge on minor things) but it’s nice to see them actually wanting to correct a not-so-great impression with a repeat guest so I appreciate the gesture.
EcotoneHR likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:59 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Meanwhile a small update about here: this morning, I received a phone call from the Guest relations manager saying she heard about the mishap on the upgrade and wanted to apologise. She said she would put a note on my file to ensure I will be upgraded to a suite on my next stay and asking if she could "send something nice to the room" in the meantime to apologise about the confusion (which I interpreted to mean a bottle of wine rather than a masseuse, and therefore accepted! ). So at least, someone reacted I guess.....
An adequate acknowledgment (the meats and wine), masseuses and masseurs are best left to the Spa

Yes, I'll admit that I fear the worst about my NY stay. My last one, years ago, was crowned by an epic (and very poorly managed) fire alarm incident resulting in a "refreshing" couple of hours in pyjamas in the streets of February New York at 3am in the morning and enough step climbing and unclimbing from the 28th floor to be healthy for a few years... So I guess it can't get too much worse than that....
I think I speak for all past Sofitel NYC guests (post COVID) when I wish you luck and infinite patience!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
An adequate acknowledgment (the meats and wine), masseuses and masseurs are best left to the Spa
Definitely adequate, though not entirely sure about that second point: after climbing that steep hill 6 times in a single day, I'd be willing to hear of an alternative theory that they'd be best place by the hotel entrance door, welcoming all guests with a brief post-climbing leg massage!!

Promise the NYC review will be forthcoming - for better or more likely for worse!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.