Sofitel Kuala Lumpur Damansara

Old Dec 18, 16, 9:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ASIA
Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,523
Sofitel Kuala Lumpur Damansara

The opening of this property too has been postponed to May 2017 (like the one in Singapore).

Not much info up yet, however the GM will be Thomas Gassner (previously HM at the Pullman Jakarta and prior to that at Sofitel Cairo and other properties.
gilbertaue is offline  
Old Dec 19, 16, 1:58 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Lumo (OWE), Accor Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 1,800
Extremely happy to see a new Sofitel in KUL. I hope it will be a decent place to stay at.
lkrt is online now  
Old Dec 19, 16, 6:30 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
Posts: 473
I really really hope this hotel will not follow the usual standards of hotels in Malaysia where they do not upkeep their hotels as often as other hotels in surrounding countries. Just look at Pullman Kuching.
ContinentalVoyager7 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 16, 7:10 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ASIA
Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,523
Originally Posted by cocoleolol View Post
I really really hope this hotel will not follow the usual standards of hotels in Malaysia where they do not upkeep their hotels as often as other hotels in surrounding countries. Just look at Pullman Kuching.
I wouldn't be too worried about this. The KL property is developed by GuocoLand as part of the larger Damansara City project. This is a reference project for them and would reflect bad on them if it were allowed to become dilapidated.
gilbertaue is offline  
Old Dec 19, 16, 9:55 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: KCH
Programs: Trying my best to love Le Club Accor (Gold)
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by cocoleolol View Post
I really really hope this hotel will not follow the usual standards of hotels in Malaysia where they do not upkeep their hotels as often as other hotels in surrounding countries. Just look at Pullman Kuching.
Pullman Miri (same owner) is quite good, newly opened & damn cheap. My go to place to stay since opening, and will enjoy it as long as the maintenance are good before moving on to the next newly opened hotel in the future.

Yay for Sofitel in KL! more choices for me to try & look forward too
Ver Jaina is offline  
Old Feb 28, 17, 12:23 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SE ASIA
Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Posts: 615
The hotel's website says it's opening 01 June 2017, but I can't seem to make a booking for Jun 1-3. Really looking forward to trying this hotel, as it's close to my Mom's house. Have been putting up at the Pullman Bangsar since it opened but the property .. alas has not been well maintained as was my experience over the CNY period. The lounge staff are still fantastic, though.
kaffir76 is offline  
Old Apr 16, 17, 3:38 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SE ASIA
Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Posts: 615
Finally, together With the Sofitel SG City Center, the Sofitel KL will also be opening on Sep. 1
Booking system is open, and if anyone is staying on Sep 1. & wants to meet up for a drink at the lounge etc.
Please post your dates of stay here.
I'll be there @ Sep 1-3 & again on 14-16
kaffir76 is offline  
Old Apr 17, 17, 2:02 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Wellington/Jakarta
Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Posts: 480
Damansara? They've got to be friggin' kidding!
Stayed once in PJ and that's already very boring. Going even much further out from city center? No matter how wow the Sofitel is going to be, I'll pass.
FGunawan is offline  
Old Apr 17, 17, 3:04 am
  #9  
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ASIA
Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,523
At least this property isn't as ridiculously priced as its sister hotel in Singapore.
gilbertaue is offline  
Old Apr 17, 17, 3:50 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by gilbertaue View Post
At least this property isn't as ridiculously priced as its sister hotel in Singapore.
YESSSS, agreed. When I stay at the new Sofitel in Singapore, I'm holding my expectation super high with the price I pay.
ContinentalVoyager7 is offline  
Old Apr 17, 17, 4:09 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Asia
Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Posts: 608
Originally Posted by FGunawan View Post
Damansara? They've got to be friggin' kidding!
Stayed once in PJ and that's already very boring. Going even much further out from city center? No matter how wow the Sofitel is going to be, I'll pass.
It's not like they have a lot of choice, they just go with anyone that comes along . Explains the low opening rates. Yes it's a boring area with a capital B.
RJ77 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 17, 12:23 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: SAS Eurobonus Silver
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by RJ77 View Post
It's not like they have a lot of choice, they just go with anyone that comes along . Explains the low opening rates. Yes it's a boring area with a capital B.
Aren't there a lot of good restaurants in Damansara?

Am gonna stay there and use it as a base to do day tours, so most important thing is that there a good restaurants in the area for the evenings when we are back at the hotel.
Rasmus3s is offline  
Old Aug 6, 17, 1:32 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SIN
Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Posts: 3,745
Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
The hotel's website says it's opening 01 June 2017, but I can't seem to make a booking for Jun 1-3. Really looking forward to trying this hotel, as it's close to my Mom's house. Have been putting up at the Pullman Bangsar since it opened but the property .. alas has not been well maintained as was my experience over the CNY period. The lounge staff are still fantastic, though.
If I remember correctly both are belong to the same owner
lingua101 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 17, 6:42 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
Posts: 473
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
If I remember correctly both are belong to the same owner
I know for a fact that both Sofitel Singapore City Centre and Sofitel KL is owned by GuocoLand. Which is then related to Hong Leong Group, which Hong Leong is related to CDL & Millennium hotels and several other 5 star hotels in SG (St Regis, W Hotel, Etc.)

So I am hoping these 2 hotels do well, since the Owners might have some experience in running hotels.
ContinentalVoyager7 is offline  
Old Aug 6, 17, 7:39 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: ASIA
Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 3,523
Originally Posted by Rasmus3s View Post
Aren't there a lot of good restaurants in Damansara?

Am gonna stay there and use it as a base to do day tours, so most important thing is that there a good restaurants in the area for the evenings when we are back at the hotel.
Damansara is not equal Damansara

The development is within a new complete project which is encircled by a highway. The new Damansara MRT station is close by.

However the foodie areas of Damansara are still at least a short car ride away as not much is walking distance away. So if you are planning to eat something when you get back to the hotel and not venture out much, then your options are really just what is in that development.

Last edited by gilbertaue; Aug 7, 17 at 2:12 am
gilbertaue is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: