Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Which suite, location & floor?

Just booked a 3 night stay using 2 free night certs & cash for the last night. They matched the low (relatively) Orbitz rate of $237xx for the last night. I was able to use my Suite u/g cert for all three nights.

What part of the Main Bldg should I request if I can't get moved to the Tower? N, S, E or W facing? High floor? Primary concern is a "quiet" location as I'm a light sleeper. Any hints appreciated. We arrive 8/31.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by philemer
Just booked a 3 night stay using 2 free night certs & cash for the last night. They matched the low (relatively) Orbitz rate of $237xx for the last night. I was able to use my Suite u/g cert for all three nights.

What part of the Main Bldg should I request if I can't get moved to the Tower? N, S, E or W facing? High floor? Primary concern is a "quiet" location as I'm a light sleeper. Any hints appreciated. We arrive 8/31.
All the one-bedroom suites I´ve seen were really nice. The bedroom and the hallway were separated by the living room, so I don´t think I ever heard any other guests. Can´t comment on N/S/W/E, I believe all the suites are located on floors 3-5 (or maybe 2-5), so that shouldn´t make a huge difference either.

I wouldn´t be too concerned, sometimes the upgrade turns out better if you don´t enter half a dozen requests.

Also, if you can´t get the tower suite (afaik they rearely upgrade guests to those), I´d politely enquire about the Main Building Balcony Suite which is fantastic.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Review

We ended up with a 3rd floor 1BR suite (382 & it faces West). The LR and BR touch the hallway. There is a locked connecting door in the LR & BR. Not sure why you would need these in a 1BR suite. My wife heard a child's voice next door a couple times but nothing irritating. It was the most luxurious room/suite I have ever stayed in. The wife was also impressed. The single pane glass in the windows should be replaced though. We heard a few cars honking & a few sirens but nothing woke us up.

We could not eat dinner in the Tonga Room because they were booked up until 9 or 9:30 each night. Tip: call and make dinner rez. BEFORE you arrive. We did eat in the adjoining bar however. Food was OK but not too many choices. Some drinks were discounted a bit. It was an "interesting" room.

All the employees were helpful & polite. We saw no remodeling.

Our best meal was at Tadich Grill. A+. The second fav. was Woodhouse Fish Co. A-
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:08 pm

Was wondering if anyone has stayed in both the Diplomat and Cambridge Suites and can give a head to head comparison. The nightly rates are considerably different but the specs seem pretty similar. Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Was wondering if anyone has stayed in both the Diplomat and Cambridge Suites and can give a head to head comparison. The nightly rates are considerably different but the specs seem pretty similar. Thanks for any help!
I haven´t stayed in either suite, so can´t really help you much, but based on the descriptions the Diplomat Suite probably comes with a hefty surcharge as it should have some excellent views from the top floors of the tower while the views from the Cambridge Suite seem much more limited.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 12:06 pm

Thanks Jasper.

I had thought along similar lines. The price is exactly double for the Diplomat, so was curious if there were any other standout differences in the two.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:44 am

Rooftop beekeeper: Fairmont San Francisco

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityexposed/2...top-beekeeper/

"A recent Thursday: Spencer Marshall methodically zipped a white bee suit from his waist to his chin, then pulled a meshed hood over his head to protect himself from venomous harm. Only after he was all secure did he light a piece of burlap, put it in a tin smoker and start replacing the beehives in the rooftop garden at the Fairmont Hotel.

Patrons of the hotel were none the wiser as thousands of bees swarmed the skyline just above Marshall’s head. It was business as usual for the hotel, for Marshall and for his bees.

Marshall, 69, has worked with bees for 40 years and manages more than 500 hives in 70 locations all over the Bay Area. His organic honey operation, Marshall’s Farm Honey in American Canyon near Napa, produces more than 50,000 pounds of honey per year. He has a pretty good idea of what kind of conditions bees need to make copious amount of honey.

You wouldn't think the Fairmont roof would supply those conditions. Marshall himself was skeptical when the hotel’s chef asked him four years ago if he would bring some of his bees to the Nob Hill landmark to exchange for earmarking a modest amount of honey for the kitchen – 10 pounds a year per hive, to be exact.

Still, he said OK. And last year, four double-queen hives atop the Fairmont produced more than 1,000 pounds of honey. “In this day and age,” Marshall said, “that’s unheard of.”

“We’re right up here where the wind is always blowing … and all you see is concrete, asphalt and big huge high-rise buildings. You don’t see any fields of flowers,” Marshall said.

“I really can’t explain it. The only thing I can think that makes sense to me is they have very little competition, and the weather must be just right for them.”"
Old May 16, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: Aegean Gold, United Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
To the original poster, I'd certainly recommend checking out the Tonga Room. Book ahead if you can.

It's a great experience, and unique across the Fairmont chain. If you tell a Fairmont employee you're going to SF they'll definitely recommend it. The food is good, not spectacular, but it's the ambience and drinks you should really be going for! It's an amazing piece of history and post-war kitsch.

Otherwise, be aware, that at least in 02-2012 the hotel is still an "older" Fairmont, however not to the level of a non-renovated room at the Empress though. The rooms are smaller and older in interior design than a comparable Hyatt or 4 Seasons. Not a bad thing, just be aware of it.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Is it typical for platinum members to be upgraded to junior suites (having booked a standard fairmont room)? What have people's experiences been?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by AM6449
Is it typical for platinum members to be upgraded to junior suites (having booked a standard fairmont room)? What have people's experiences been?
Are you using a suite upgrade certificate?

If not, I would expect the room I booked.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:46 am

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Are you using a suite upgrade certificate?

If not, I would expect the room I booked.
No, I booked a standard room and was given a junior suite as an upgrade upon arrival. They didn't deduct a certificate. I was told it was for being a platinum member. I was just wondering if that was typical or not?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Stayed using CC nights & suite upgrade cert. last weekend. Begged politely for a balcony suite, but none were available. The front desk agent told me our suite was one of the better ones in the main building. It was a 3rd floor corner suite (362) with huge separate sitting room tastefully if minimally appointed (the Philemer suite?). Next time, I'll go for this one.

We upgraded to the Breakfast buffet for $30 (note - gratuity is included in the bill so tax & tip brings it to $75 for 2). Wonderful, although the omelet station took a very long time. But we didn't need to eat again until dinner.

Took the free SF City guides walking tour of Alfred Hitchcock's SF , which mainly focuses on the movie "Vertigo" filming spots - imgine our surprise when the guide pulled out a photo of Jimmy Stewart with our suite's windows visible over his shoulder!

Workout room was complete but small (about 3 each treadmills, stationary bikes, ellipticals, a couple stair climbers (who needs those in this city?) and freeweights as well as some Cybex machines. There is also a dry sauna and steam room behind the locker room, and a separate room for classes.

Thanks to this thread, we made dinner reservations both nights at the Tonga Room although night 1 we just went for desserts and night 2 to meet some friends for appetizers. Those reservations saved us about a 45 minute wait at 9pm both nights. Service was very spotty, and the food was meh, but overpriced umbrella drinks after the 3rd mai tai were good The cover band had the wedding reception music playlist pre-1987 nailed.

There's some wonderful history to the building (Operated as the Western White House for a number of years, UN Charter Drafted here, "I left my heart in San Francisco" first performed here, etc) and there's a nice hallway exhibit to the north of the Lobby that explains a lot of it.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:01 pm

Thanks! Good report.

The Classics: The Tonga Room is so retro it’s modern

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog...ro-its-modern/
Old Dec 14, 2013, 2:16 am

Just made a reservation here in early March using my left over certs from this year. I am on a rate of 195/night and using 3rd night free and suite upgrade.
Is it possible at this hotel to also use the room upgrade cert in combination with the above two in order to get a better suite? Based on previous responses, it seems not. But I have done this in the past at the Orchid.

In any event, 130/night for a suite is hard to beat.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pickles1107
Just made a reservation here in early March using my left over certs from this year. I am on a rate of 195/night and using 3rd night free and suite upgrade.
Is it possible at this hotel to also use the room upgrade cert in combination with the above two in order to get a better suite? Based on previous responses, it seems not. But I have done this in the past at the Orchid.

In any event, 130/night for a suite is hard to beat.
Extremely unlikely. The Orchid and the Kea Lani are the only two properties Im aware of that apparently will accept a suite upgrade cert and a room upgrade cert during the same stay, however it doesn´t seem to be a published benefit. Instead it seems to depend on who you talk to, your status and room availability.

Some hotels will offer upgrades to better suites when booking a higher room category or will offer an better suite upgrade in return for a co-pay, but again it depends on the guest, room/suite availability/the person you´re talking to.

What suite did you get at the Fairmont SFO? I assume a Main Building Suite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.