Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 2:35 pm

Seriously? https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/fir...it-card-draft/.That whole site is so vapid and full of junk content.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by exoticfusion
Seriously? https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/fir...it-card-draft/.That whole site is so vapid and full of junk content.

Hope it screams out to regulators that this is a credit card marketing business masquerading as a travel site
Old May 4, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:08 pm

I actually thought that TPG article was helpful. Now we easily know, in one place, all the cards that have affiliate links available!

Also, from the comments it appears it's the breaking point to get TPG to lose readers, so that's a bonus.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:42 pm

lol this is just sad ..... 'nuff said
Old May 5, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by lizs
I actually thought that TPG article was helpful. Now we easily know, in one place, all the cards that have affiliate links available!

Also, from the comments it appears it's the breaking point to get TPG to lose readers, so that's a bonus.
Nah, their readers are mostly uninformed people who take his site as gospel, so they'll eat it all up. All they do is tag their equally as uninformed friends and relatives on their posts on facebook, and air their emotional laundry about how the airlines are out to screw them and thank TPG for teaching them how using points turns the tables on the airlines
Old May 5, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by diburning
Nah, their readers are mostly uninformed people who take his site as gospel, so they'll eat it all up. All they do is tag their equally as uninformed friends and relatives on their posts on facebook, and air their emotional laundry about how the airlines are out to screw them and thank TPG for teaching them how using points turns the tables on the airlines
This is TPG's business model, sad!
Old May 5, 2017, 8:43 am

As much I hate the garbage they spew every day, I subscribe to their emails and on Facebook just in case they find a deal I didn't know about. That doesn't seem to happen anymore, since it doesn't seem like they're interested in posting deals anymore, just garbage. One of these days, they'll irritate me enough to unsubscribe from everything.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:01 am

As much I hate the garbage they spew every day, I subscribe to their emails and on Facebook just in case they find a deal I didn't know about. That doesn't seem to happen anymore, since it doesn't seem like they're interested in posting deals anymore, just garbage. One of these days, they'll irritate me enough to unsubscribe from everything.
The problem is they are almost always 2-3 days late on different deals. In fact, there have been some fare deals that they posted after they had expired!
Old May 5, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by runfit
The problem is they are almost always 2-3 days late on different deals. In fact, there have been some fare deals that they posted after they had expired!
Some? Nearly all, these days.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:00 pm

A lot of the quick-grab-deals don't earn a commish...and you will notice the same few bloggers delay-posting those deals (read: trying to wait-and-see if an affiliate link pops up) or mentioning them in a mediocre fashion.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I liked the post about the epic service failures of United. And by "like," I mean find the whole exchange incredibly odd and figure that the author is a real tool when he travels and often has interactions like that with customer service representatives.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:22 pm

I believe most bloggers post deals after they make sure they can get it first. Then when that deal is confirmed, up come the late posts and affiliate links. By that time, they've hooked most uninformed people and they can't get the same deals as the bloggers.

Look what happened last year with the Hyatt status match. Almost all the bloggers are "Globalist," but if you tried the same thing, Hyatt wasn't budging. Small window of opportunity. They cut down all the trees in the forest, so to speak and devaste the "hobby."

They try hard to sell you devalued miles that you can barely use. I find it amazing how gullible most of the population is, to actually want to "support" a "little" blog, that makes 6 figures plus. Also, their rants on how the landscaped changed and their "woe is me, I was treated badly on United posts." If you chopped the "forest" down for profit, then don't complain about the current landscape and shut your entitled butt up... #1stworldproblems . Airlines (not all) treat customers like crap now (compared to the golden era) and it has been trickled down to bloggers (not all again), then they do the very same thing the airlines do toward their readership.

Fyi, there are times when complaints are valid, but a lot of complaints are entitlement. No system runs perfect, mishaps happen. I feel bad for people who have to deal with these people. They have some messed up priorities if they didn't get a particular "wine" pairing with their first class meal. Then they wonder why, when you come to complain to them that the agents are unhappy to see you. Want to know why? They dealt with 8383192 a**holes like you that day.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:38 am

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/qat...flight-review/

I can't tell if the reviewer is just that dumb, lying, or if he's dumbing it down for their dumb audience.

He wasn't sure how to transfer terminals... Wouldn't a normal traveler look this up ahead of time if they were connecting between airlines? He even admits to seeing the signs that says which buses go between terminals, yet still complains about it.

Most US airlines, especially American, who he flew in on, would have terminal maps on their mobile app as well as inflight magazine. Even if he didn't pick up on the fact that E is far away from B that he would have seen the map and realized that he could have cut through the central parking garage. He'd also see that Terminal C is right next to Terminal E, and is connected airside, so PreCheck would have been possible if he went through TSA at C.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:17 am

In his new 7 year anniversary post, kind of shameful/deceptive that he doesn't mention he sold the site to a credit card marketing company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.