Reload this Page >

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by diburning
His commenting readers all appear to be "unwashed masses"...
Of course, these people never had a travel rewards credit card most likely----->conversions!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Went over there to see what you all were talking about. That is the ugliest website I have ever seen. I liked it when Brian (did you know he's 6' 7") started the site but then the sell out and the slide into mediocrity began. Not unusual, have seen it happen with others.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
Went over there to see what you all were talking about. That is the ugliest website I have ever seen. I liked it when Brian (did you know he's 6' 7") started the site but then the sell out and the slide into mediocrity began. Not unusual, have seen it happen with others.
He was a sellout from the beginning. The whole intention of creating the website was to grow it into a large business. I don't think I can easily recall any well written articles from Brian. He was more a middle man of information. He either had the latest airline news or stole ideas/content from flyertalk and other bloggers and did a lot of spoon feeding.

He seems to have more talent in growing the business, whereas lucky had more of a talent of detailing products. Rick was more about churning and tips and tricks.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Speaking of well written articles (or the complete opposite of them) it appears that one of them, who used to write the garbage clickbait-y articles on the front page of FlyerTalk (Am I allowed to name names? If not, then his initials are JC and he shares his name with a Puerto Rican boxing referee) now writes the same geographically challenged, and non-fact-checked clickbait-y non-stories for TPG.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Speaking of well written articles (or the complete opposite of them) it appears that one of them, who used to write the garbage clickbait-y articles on the front page of FlyerTalk (Am I allowed to name names? If not, then his initials are JC and he shares his name with a Puerto Rican boxing referee) now writes the same geographically challenged, and non-fact-checked clickbait-y non-stories for TPG.

It's Jesus, isn't it?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
LOL. It's painful to read the front page of FlyerTalk with those articles. Instead of 'alternate facts' many seem to have 'confused facts' or just poorly researched copy & paste posts.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
James Cury?

http://thepointsguy.com/author/jamescury/

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
LOL. It's painful to read the front page of FlyerTalk with those articles. Instead of 'alternate facts' many seem to have 'confused facts' or just poorly researched copy & paste posts.
Those front page articles are atrocious! Random monkeys could spit out better posts. If that's the kind of writer TPG is using then I don't see much hope for improvement on the site. (Or for that matter, for FT's front page either!)
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:33 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The kid TPG/Bankrate paid to attend last weeks LH A350 event was a joke... he was two steaps ahead of me, took a few pictures and then ran off the aircraft.

godsavethepoints likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
James Cury?
Hah! No, the other one

Apparently he still writes for FT, and they just added an article on the front page about flexible pipe dreams, I mean aircraft cabins
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The kid TPG/Bankrate paid to attend last weeks LH A350 event was a joke... he was two steaps ahead of me, took a few pictures and then ran off the aircraft.

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/828990215314345990
I wonder how much it pays and how I could get that gig.... Of course, I'd be writing for multiple sites at the same time (unless Bankrate doesn't like that, in which case, they better pay very well )
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Hah! No, the other one

Apparently he still writes for FT, and they just added an article on the front page about flexible pipe dreams, I mean aircraft cabins
Joe Cortez?

If that's not it, I give up on the guessing game

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/author/joecortez

http://thepointsguy.com/author/joecortez/
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I wonder how much it pays and how I could get that gig.... Of course, I'd be writing for multiple sites at the same time (unless Bankrate doesn't like that, in which case, they better pay very well )
FT News pays 50-125$/article (I wrote 3 articles a while ago). TPG/Bankrate will probably pay double that?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:13 am

I don't know why people are complaining... isn't this what we always wanted on Flyertalk? For TPG to become a hideous looking website where newbies are given very little information? It's just one big credit card advert. It's okay to point and laugh, but lets not mull over how dreadful the content is. I'd rather we be critical if Brian's team tries to post any major deal and spoon-feed it. Though, those deals are rather sparse and his blog and others like TPG are typically at least a day behind if not more.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
An email arrives from ITB Berlin where my assistant is at the Qatar press conference for the new J seat:

"Still queuing to see the seat.... there are people more important than us like The Points Guy who got a private tour first... then the big news channels"
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:02 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Raffles
An email arrives from ITB Berlin where my assistant is at the Qatar press conference for the new J seat:

"Still queuing to see the seat.... there are people more important than us like The Points Guy who got a private tour first... then the big news channels"
Perceived importance. Perceived exposure. I mean, their (Qatar) "fearless leader" is Akbar Al Baker. Need I say more?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.