Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by gpapadop
For the commercial blogs, this is NOT about a HOBBY, it is about the BUSINESS of selling credit cards! "Conversions is all that matters".
What? Doesn't that contradict:

Originally Posted by ingy
This is a HOBBY about miles and points and the venom spewed between members of this hobby is way out of bounds and over the top
Maybe contradict isn't the correct term. I'll explain, the big blogs who are now mostly or wholly commercialized were started by enthusiasts who wanted to spread information on points and their associated uses. As they grew in readership and traffic, someone, perhaps Kelly or *insert owner here* figured out, "Hey, I could make a ton of money from credit card commission" and inserted small sidebar ads as such. However, these small sidebar ads eventually transformed into ads being in every second sentence and garbage quality posts being shown.

TLDR: The original point wasn't to make money, but as their popularity grew, the quality of posts went way down while the amount of credit card ads went way up. That is probably the issue most are discussing here as "selling out".

-LPDAL
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:24 pm

I think I'm going to start calling them template bloggers, since all their posts are predictable. It's like writing an essay in MLA format, everyone knows what structure and or format to expect. I also agree about the lack of personality and personalization. Maximizing travel (at least to me) is about the cultural experiences, what you have learned and how it possibly changed how you view the world at large. You don't see that perspective because they aren't those types of bloggers. It's just vapid fluff with no filling.

Many of them come off snobbish or lack personality because there isn't any personalized connection to their audience. In fact, they don't have an audience, they have followers. Followers who are gullible and baited by words of "free" "easy" "luxury" who want to be just like them and fly first class all the time for "free."

Their followers also ask really "perplexing" questions in the comment sections. Questions like, "How long do I have to wait to sign-up for this card if I had it 32532 months ago?" Those types of questions can be verified so easily. Many times, I even wonder if those types of questions are staged in order to push more CC affiliate links or are they just that intellectually challenged/lazy or both? The thing with a lot of these template bloggers is that their followers or template is never "elevated" to the next level and for good reason on their part.

Once you figure out the basics in anything, you move on to more intermediate or advanced levels. Template bloggers keep their templates elementary, their questions elementary, their answers elementary, their followers are elementary because it keeps it going. There's a HUGE difference in the template blogger that is TPG (etc) compared to a non-template blogger.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by LPDAL
TLDR: The original point wasn't to make money, but as their popularity grew, the quality of posts went way down while the amount of credit card ads went way up. That is probably the issue most are discussing here as "selling out".

-LPDAL
No, I was pointing out that TPG, like FTG, actually sold his blog. It is no longer a hobby or The Hobby at that point, it is a commercial operation.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LPDAL
TLDR: The original point wasn't to make money,
I do not believe this is true for TPG. The site was started 100% as a business proposition with the understanding that CC conversions were the way to maximize returns.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Originally Posted by sbm12
I do not believe this is true for TPG. The site was started 100% as a business proposition with the understanding that CC conversions were the way to maximize returns.
Thanks for that info. ^

I write trip reports and would never turn my hobby into a venture. Too many inherent caveats IMO.

-LPDAL
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...late-post.html
for those who missed it
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
It's all about creating a repeatable process
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dimramon
processes and standard operating procedures
Old Oct 10, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by dimramon
That's more crucial when you have staff churning out posts, but you want to avoid errors and maintain a consistent feel.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
That's more crucial when you have staff churning out posts, but you want to avoid errors and maintain a consistent feel.
Bottom Line

Must end posts like this
Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Bottom Line

Must end posts like this
Why?

A consistent writing style is a large part of attracting a loyal following.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Why?

A consistent writing style is a large part of attracting a loyal following.
It's a joke on how many travel bloggers now end their posts "Bottom Line".

That can't be a coincidence can it? No idea who started it. Lucky? I've even seen it used on articles that run no longer than 3 sentences. Maybe they've put it there over the guilt of using clickbait titles?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
------
I get a bit tired of aspirational travel snobs like
- which tell you, must use points for flights instead of cash because of the cpm
(just use money if want to be sure if you want to be on the flight/class)
- can't use points for economy class ever
(if it's an emergency i still fly business/first only not economy)
- you have to stay in this aspirational hotel
(even if it is in the middle of know-where, does the hotel outweigh the destination)
- I value miles at Xcpm..... If they are maybe more or less, people whine as if the blog holds the currency trade standard and miles are (not) smart to use.
-----
Sunday catch up on blogs done, this was the reaction it provoked
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:15 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by HadesNL
- you have to stay in this aspirational hotel
(even if it is in the middle of know-where, does the hotel outweigh the destination)
Not sure I agree with this totally.

Yes, aspirational air is "easy."
There is often always a way to redeem for premium classes.

But, a good number of the aspirational (5*) hotel properties are independent or not part of a Miles+Points redemption scheme. Off the top of my head, you can't (easily or effectively) redeem points (earned from credit card sign-ups or otherwise) at Aman, Four Seasons, MO, Peninsula or numerous other top tier 5* chains or other smaller luxury aspirational properties.

Hence why you see so much posted on St. Regis (SPG), Park Hyatt (Hyatt) or Waldorf (Hilton) properties. (seems less so for Ritz (Marriott) because a lot of bloggers don't really seem to like Marriott rewards, or at least it seems that way)

HadesNL, I would re-word your quote as :
"- you have to stay in this luxury hotel that is a part of SPG/Gold Passport/Marriot Rewards/Hilton.....
(even if it is in the middle of know-where, does the hotel outweigh the destination)"

Personally, I take great pride in our hotel reviews. Even if, we happen to write one for a property that (sadly) closed..... after closing....

Last edited by baccarat_king; Oct 11, 2015 at 5:22 am
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
You took the words out of my mouth haha, still charming and witty since the ikvliegveelFTU.

Indeed weird that marriott rewards is not getting much comparison/reviews, you would have guessed to prove a more weighted opinion bloggers need to take in account all major points programmes.

But to return to TPG topic, was he or OMAAT the first to introduce guest writers aka ditferent viewpoints/varying quality posts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.