One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

although he does still pretty much avoid anything personal on blog, right?

he came out on blog after bringing up hotel(/country) internet censorship (not 'news')
only reason he mentioned meeting friends in barcelona was because mom scammed
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

he came out on blog after bringing up hotel(/country) internet censorship (not 'news')
I guess "personal" is hard to define. I feel like he shares every poop he takes in business class, and he advertises his boyfriends services, after all.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Some of you might not understand how big a deal the shooting in Orlando is to members of the LGBT community, but I, someone who has low expectations of Ben, am still shocked to say he has himself made 21 posts since the shooting, as well as 1 post by Ford, and the events in Orlando have not been mentioned at all.

Yet, he has talked about what camera he is buying (sponsored by Sony), and highlighted 4 airlines owned by countries where homosexuality remains punishable by death.

I'm not talking about social justice here; i'm talking about humanity. Most blogs I read - by gay, straight, or I have no idea - have mentioned it somehow. Even the Points Guy had someone post about Jetblue offering free flights to victims' families.
I guess "personal" is hard to define. I feel like he shares every poop he takes in business class, and he advertises his boyfriends services, after all.
Who cares? Just because someone happens to be homosexual doesn't mean they have to comment on every news story (even major) involving the LGBT community. Brian Kelly didn't post the JetBlue story, it was one of the 500+ contributors, editors, interns, or whatever...
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Who cares? Just because someone happens to be homosexual doesn't mean they have to comment on every news story (even major) involving the LGBT community. Brian Kelly didn't post the JetBlue story, it was one of the 500+ contributors, editors, interns, or whatever...
I agree that Brian's post was disappointing as well.
As I noted though, most straight bloggers have commented on what happened - even those who aren't gay men from central Florida.

What's been hard for a lot of people the last few days is realizing how many people don't get it - don't get how this attack isn't just a news story - but how it gets at our sense of self and safety. How many young gay men- Ben included - visit gay bars and clubs when we travel with a sense of safety, with self exploration, and with a sense of community. Your response only shows why it is important to write about it.

But I'd posit that if Lucky were straight he would have posted about it, if only to acknowledge that something happened.

Is he "required" to post something? Of course not. But the decision not to do so shows something about his character.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Earlier this month I said here, "Having a premium cabin and chain hotel blog is not a moral defect. It just isn't."

That still stands. I was tired of the gay rights sermonizing then, and that hasn't changed either.

You evidently still fervently wish that Ben ran a gay-themed blog instead of just a travel blog.

Good for you, but his choice to run a travel blog says nothing about his character.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EP
As I noted though, most straight bloggers have commented on what happened - even those who aren't gay men from central Florida.

What's been hard for a lot of people the last few days is realizing how many people don't get it - don't get how this attack isn't just a news story - but how it gets at our sense of self and safety. How many young gay men- Ben included - visit gay bars and clubs when we travel with a sense of safety, with self exploration, and with a sense of community. Your response only shows why it is important to write about it.

But I'd posit that if Lucky were straight he would have posted about it, if only to acknowledge that something happened.

Is he "required" to post something? Of course not. But the decision not to do so shows something about his character.
Oh. Are we listing attributes that make up his character? I'm in...

Self absorbed
Pretentious
Immature
entitled
Questionable honesty
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

He's sort of hit-or-miss with personal details...he's posted about his medical issues while in Germany, posted a picture of his dirty clothes and underwear on his hotel room floor...I don't really know that he has any consistency, and not suggesting he needs to have.

It didn't seem that most Boarding Area bloggers wrote about it, though I wasn't keeping score. I saw a few did.

When the Charleston church shootings occurred, did you expect that all travel or P&M bloggers who are Christian, or who are black, must write about it? (For that matter, did any such bloggers write about it?) No doubt parishioners' sense of safety and security is very high in a house of worship to an even greater degree than a nightclub.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
He's sort of hit-or-miss with personal details...he's posted about his medical issues while in Germany, posted a picture of his dirty clothes and underwear on his hotel room floor...I don't really know that he has any consistency, and not suggesting he needs to have.

It didn't seem that most Boarding Area bloggers wrote about it, though I wasn't keeping score. I saw a few did.

When the Charleston church shootings occurred, did you expect that all travel or P&M bloggers who are Christian, or who are black, must write about it? (For that matter, did any such bloggers write about it?) No doubt parishioners' sense of safety and security is very high in a house of worship to an even greater degree than a nightclub.
If there is a blogger who regularly goes to pray at churches on his travels, yes, I would have expected a post.

As for your supposition about feelings of safety at clubs vs. churches, that assumption shows why we need people writing about this. For the clubgoers in Orlando, many of them likely did feel safer at Pulse than they did at church.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
If there is a blogger who regularly goes to pray at churches on his travels, yes, I would have expected a post.

As for your supposition about feelings of safety at clubs vs. churches, that assumption shows why we need people writing about this. For the clubgoers in Orlando, many of them likely did feel safer at Pulse than they did at church.
So only if Ben goes to gay clubs on his travels, he's expected to write about it? I thought it was only because he was gay, in and of itself?

I could use any other shooting tragedy if the church analogy is too difficult to grasp or has to be turned into a veiled insult... Must Jewish P&M bloggers comment on anti-Semitic incidents? Must every P&M blogger with a child in school comment on school shootings? Etc...

You imply that straight people somehow don't understand how the victims' sense of safety and security was violated. That is as ridiculous as it is insulting. Everyone can imagine what it's like being in a presumed safe place, or somewhere just having fun, or just a day at work and to have that shattered by violence such as this. And sadly plenty of people don't have to imagine it.

In any case, have you posted to OMAAT asking about this? WHat was Lucky's response?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:43 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I think it's a bit unfair to expect Ben to suddenly become introspective and socially aware on OMaaT.

I'm not saying he lacks the capacity. I don't know about that. But it's certainly not in the OMaaT wheelhouse.

Again, it's about premium cabins and american chain hotels. Any time it's about anything else it's wrong, awkward or both.

<shrug>
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Ben would only go to a gay club if it had a VIP section and if there were a scheme to get bottle service for only a fraction of the price.

But seriously, while it might make him more human to at least acknowledge something like this on his site, it would break the modalities of it. His site is for discussing the intricacies of premium airline products and selling credit cards to readers, not for musing about any authentic travel or life experiences.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero

You imply that straight people somehow don't understand how the victims' sense of safety and security was violated. That is as ridiculous as it is insulting. Everyone can imagine what it's like being in a presumed safe place, or somewhere just having fun, or just a day at work and to have that shattered by violence such as this. And sadly plenty of people don't have to imagine it.
I in no way implied that. I responded to one individual's (your) statement that people "no doubt" feel safer in a church than in a nightclub. I do not think straight people are incapable of understanding what happened here. I have no idea whether youre straight. (Another reason why this is important is that gay men are overrepresented in "the hobby".) To the contrary, I've read many beautiful statements from straight people over the past several days showing that they get it.
I do think more people would get it - as, to me, you don't - if more gay people explained why it's not just a "nightclub" and why this is making LGBT people feel differently than if it were an act of workplace violence or some other form of violence.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:20 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Why does >50% of the discussion of Ben's blog revolve around his sexual identity -- until Ford came into the picture, it was almost completely absent from his blog (I only learned about it from the various nasty comments that people were posting), and it still isn't a substantial aspect of what he writes about.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:35 am
Suspended

Why would Ben post anything about the shooting on his "travel blog?" That makes absolutely no sense. He's not a news reporter.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there will always be many people, especially within 'groups' that believe people like bloggers should use their platforms for certain purposes, and say certain things, and not say certain things

to a certain degree, i have to support bloggers/etc who do not do this solely on demand
regardless of what one thinks about the potential use of the platform (like this case)

as illustrated, whatever bloggers/etc do, there can be criticism
but criticism does not invalidate itself solely by being criticism

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 15, 2016 at 10:34 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.