Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Ok, I can be out of touch at times and this seems like it is one of those times.

I dont know what is meant by "Rick keeps getting worse". What are the other issues that I am obviously not aware of? Also, I didnt find this comment so out of line by itself but when you do look at Rick's blog and there are a ton of links which are there to make money.....seems out of line in that regard but I dont know if I would call it out of touch.

[...edit...]

Last edited by mia; Aug 22, 2012 at 7:23 am Reason: Remove personal reference
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
yea, that was really uncalled for.

ironic, bc if someone made that comment about him on his blog it would never get through "moderation". Him and deltapoints have the most ridiculous comment screening i have ever seen and really hurts their credibility
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Making money and begging for it are vastly different. Ricks comment was valid
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If you don't like it, don't read it. What ever happened to freedom of speech?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Gold
The donation link is awfully inconspicuous. I commend the blogger on not drawing more visual attention to it.

Rick's blog has the honor of being the only one I've removed from my bookmarks/RSS after adding it. It just became unreadable.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Making money and begging for it are vastly different. Ricks comment was valid
how is a donation button, "BEGGING"?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
Then there are the bloggers who just use it to push their referrals (did you know you only need 140K Alaska miles to fly Cathay First roundtrip? That's only 4 SPG card signups, apply through my link!).
I remember one of the worst bloggers out there actually gave a direct link to the... surprise surprise... Sapphire Preferred during a trip report on BA (!) saying that this gives you access to BA F through Avios
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:19 pm

his blog has gone WAY downhill since IB bought it. Sucks, really liked to read the content. These days his blog is not even on the roster.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CDKing
If you don't like it, don't read it. What ever happened to freedom of speech?
Agree. To take it a step further, I have decided not to join the Chicago DO after the first one. I really miss the networking opportunity to meet with fellows who share the same interest, but [...edit...] I want out. Bummer the Frequent Flier University is going to happen when I will be out of the country, so I won't be able to join anything until next year.

Last edited by mia; Aug 22, 2012 at 7:22 am Reason: Remove personal reference
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
how is a donation button, "BEGGING"?
How is it not? On top of his booking service and referral links there's a a tin cup for spare change.

Pretty tacky, regardless of who called it out.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by buschoi
Agree. To take it a step further, I have decided not to join the Chicago DO after the first one. .
FWIW, I went to the Chicago DO last year and while some sessions were great, others were overcrowded (way more people than had signed up for the session) and shills for gleff's services and other fluff. The networking was the best aspect. But I won't be going this year.

Last edited by mia; Aug 22, 2012 at 7:24 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:53 pm

I used to read the FTG blog every day and I learned a lot about credit card churning and other things. Since the IB takeover it has become unreadable. After a week of daily giveaways soliciting comments on great deals and other corporate dross I gave up and have not gone back. Sad.

@CDKing "If you don't like it, don't read it. What ever happened to freedom of speech?"

Freedom of speech is a right protecting you from GOVERNMENT CENSORSHIP. Freedom of speech is not implicated by people disagreeing about or disparaging another's views, opinions, or actions. It is a little hypocritical to disparage someone for disparaging someone else and invoke freedom of speech as the justification. Just sayin'.

Ike
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I find the blog of little use, and don't read it. I don't know how it got such a prominent spot, frankly.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amolkold
I see nothing wrong with Trip Reports, but like I said, some bloggers do them very well. Yes, they might be very detailed, but who knows who might benefit from them? Lucky tends to group his posts very well, so if I'm not really interested in the meal, I can just scroll and down and check out the rest of the review.

Then there are the bloggers who just use it to push their referrals (did you know you only need 140K Alaska miles to fly Cathay First roundtrip? That's only 4 SPG card signups, apply through my link!).

I was actually very surprised with the viewership of TRs in the FT TR forum. I posted my first two there in the past 6 months and they've gotten >45,000 views together.
I am one of your viewers. Your trip report is full of wits. I enjoy your writing style and your commentaries - some of them really crack me up. You should write more TRs.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:06 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Throw Somebody under the Bus?

You have got to be kidding me? I made an observation re the very prominent Donate button and decided not to review the blog. In addition I have already been in contact with the blog owner and we have discussed it with " no hard feelings" and are looking forward to meeting one another in Chicago.

I'm glad to see others felt the same way I did. It just seems out of place to me. I can't think of any other blog in the space looking for donations (50+ blogs), but it is certainly his choice and he is going to continue.

in regards to reading the blog or not, sorry to see you go, but readership has increased every month significantly since the IB takeover and the Chicago Seminars sold out earlier than ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.