Need help with Bucharest, Romania

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with Bucharest, Romania

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I'm hesitant to say, but it certainly sounds like you're good to go.
Yes!

I called the Slovak embassy to verify and she confirmed that I won't need a visa. I just saved $100 .. woohoo!!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:30 am

I wrote to Sky Europe and the manager who wrote back to me said that soon they are going to offer Bucharest flights from their new Vienna base, and this information will be online in a few days. So I guess we will find out soon.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:40 am
Original Poster

I wrote to Sky Europe and the manager who wrote back to me said that soon they are going to offer Bucharest flights from their new Vienna base, and this information will be online in a few days. So I guess we will find out soon.
Nooooo! I already purchased my ticket for BBU-BTS, then my own transportation to get to VIE and back VIE-BBU via BTS on SkyShuttle.

A direct flight on the way back would be much more convenient
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Nooooo! I already purchased my ticket for BBU-BTS, then my own transportation to get to VIE and back VIE-BBU via BTS on SkyShuttle.

A direct flight on the way back would be much more convenient
Maybe this new Vienna base will be in place for August, because that's the month I was asking about, but for now they are using Bratislava. Since you already got your ticket, surely they aren't going to change the arrival airport.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:48 am

Yeah i was in Bucharest for all of 2.5 days this past summer, and agree with the visitors about not staying a full 7 days, as there really isn't anything to do. I would highly recommend Brasov, a lovely city and great place to use as a base and take trips to other parts of the area.
As for other side trips, don't forget Bulgaria, in the summer the beach on the Black sea is amazing in Varna. I spent a whole week there, and it wasn't a problem, the living was easy. wake up, goto the beach, take a nap, start drinking, goto sleep around 4am.. and do it again...
Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

Are you sure he was not referring to their Bratislava base, which they frequently call their Vienna base, where indeed they are starting flights to Bucharest very soon from. This is like Ryanair calling Hahn their Frankfurt base.

It seems almost impossible, that SkyEurope, a Slovakian airline that has made BTS its hub since startup, and makes a lot of money on the Shuttle to Vienna would set up another base in Vienna where they have never had any presence, and where airport fees are much higher than BTS.

Stranger things have happened...but seems highly illogical...
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Are you sure he was not referring to their Bratislava base, which they frequently call their Vienna base, where indeed they are starting flights to Bucharest very soon from. This is like Ryanair calling Hahn their Frankfurt base.
Here's a partial quote from the email. The manager is female, BTW.

"In response to your question I would like to inform you that according to the newest information there will be no flights from/to Bucharest-Bratislava, but these flights will be operated from/to Vienna instead of Bratislava. These flights are not yet activated in our reservation system but will be available within the next few days. You can monitor the destinations, departure times and days via our internet website www.skyeurope.com or can be informed via Call Center on phone number 00421 2 4850 4850 ."
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
It seems almost impossible, that SkyEurope, a Slovakian airline that has made BTS its hub since startup, and makes a lot of money on the Shuttle to Vienna would set up another base in Vienna where they have never had any presence, and where airport fees are much higher than BTS.
Currently SkyEurope flies from Bratislava to Baneasa airport (BBU) in Bucharest.

He probably was referring to a future route from Vienna to the Otopeni airport (OTP).

And the shuttle bus only costs 10 euro each way
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wow ...sucks to be people who booked BTS-BBU tickets and actually wanted to use that route and now will be going to/from VIE instead.
I wonder when they will move these flights, as of today, they still operate to BTS

BTW, they are having an Xmas sale now, free tickets.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Currently SkyEurope flies from Bratislava to Baneasa airport (BBU) in Bucharest.

He probably was referring to a future route from Vienna to the Otopeni airport (OTP).

And the shuttle bus only costs 10 euro each way
Are you guessing it's going to be OTP rather than BBU, or do you have inside information?

Considering Baneasa is almost in the town centre while Otopeni is out in the sticks why would they want to move out to OTP?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Are you guessing it's going to be OTP rather than BBU, or do you have inside information?

Considering Baneasa is almost in the town centre while Otopeni is out in the sticks why would they want to move out to OTP?
I was guessing. I assumed they're not going to have another flight out of OTP to go to VIE when they already have one to BTS, a city that's only 50 km away.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 5:50 pm

No need to guess anymore, as SkyEurope is now showing their Bucharest (BBU) to Vienna flights (VIE) for August on their web site, although the flights aren't bookable yet. I'm not sure if flights prior to March 25 are different or not.

As of today, the schedules for SkyEurope and BlueAir seem to be complete, going into next fall. Germanwings and Wizzair already had their schedules out.

I wonder if there's any point in waiting or hoping Ryanair or EasyJet will come out with some flights or not.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its official. Fares start at 19 Euro all in BBU-VIE starting March 25

official press release here:
http://www2.skyeurope.com/EN/Documen...0061219_en.pdf

Once again FT gets the news way before anyone else
Old Jan 9, 2007, 2:34 am

This saga is not over. Apparently SkyEurope has cancelled their Bucharest to Budapest flights for now.

However, Wizz Air is stepping into the breach:
http://news.cheapflights.co.uk/fligh...ir_offers.html

Last edited by WillTravel; Jan 9, 2007 at 2:46 am
Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info WillTravel! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.