Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riced
Let's put this in a wiki post!
Please include: route; original class - new class; original price paid; final price; where the upgrade was obtained [via bid or at check-in]; month of flight.First Letter of your last name.
  • AUH-SYD and MEL-AUH, J-F both at $1250 AUD.
  • NRT-AUH Y-J $950USD or ¥110,000JPY offered at check in.
  • AUH-DEL AU$150
  • IST-AUH AU$400.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,400 at check-in.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,180.
  • AUH-JFK Y-J US$1,150 (March 2015).
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,100 (April 2015)
  • AUH-GRU J-F AED2575 (€650; US$700) minimum upgrade bid accepted (April 2015)
  • SYD-AUH J-F A380 US$1,050 $50 above min bid. (October 2015)
Print Wikipost

Offered a paid upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 9:01 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MushiShi
Also any recommendations for flights from Zurich to London? Need something in the mid morning or early afternoon. Etihad partner will help as we are trying to build up tier points to get Silver Tier
BA and LX offer sufficient daily flights between ZRH and LCY/LHR, not so much difference between them on this 75 minutes flight. If you are into Easyjet, you can choose between daily flights from ZRH to LTN or LGW.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Etihad Silver
Originally Posted by mcfcok27
Has anybody had an experience of upgrading at the airport with Etihad, and if so, what was the price like? I'm flying LHR - AUH - PVG one way in the first week of August (economy ticket paid for by employer) and have been looking into upgrading to business out of my own pocket; I am a guest member, but a recent one, so have no miles to put towards this. I have been quoted £1400 over the phone, and if I want to participate in the upgrade auction, LHR - AUH starts at £850, AUH - PVG at £550, but I'm considering risking it and trying at the airport. Do you think it's worth it or are those prices the best I'm going to get?
When i flew ATH-AUH-SYD in February, the guy at check-in in ATH offered me an upgrade from J to F on the AUH-SYD leg for 1000 USD (he offered it right away without me even asking if an upgrade would be possible). Not a bad Price i guess, but i didnt take the offer and was pretty happy with my flights in J on the A380.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:38 am

Just wanted to add a new data point:

SGN - AUH Y-J 255 CHF (265 USD) as a select upgrade min bid 245 CHF (255 USD) for 2 pax
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:44 am

Y to C ; MNL-AUH ; minimum bid 230euros = accepted
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have a business class ticket HYD-AUH-DFW using AA miles. Obviously this ticket is not eligible for bidding. There is no F service for HYD-AUH. I would like to get AUH-DFW F. As of now, only 2 seats show as sold and 6 open seats.
1. Will they offer paid upgrades at airport for AA award ticket?
2. If they do, do I check in HYD or AUH or at both places?
3. Do they ever open up more award seats closer to the departure date? If so, this will be my best bet.
4. If they offer airport upgrade, what is the lowest possible or reasonable price?
Thanks
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:51 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I think they offer the lowest upgrade price for bidding, a higher price when you check in, and an even higher price if you upgrade onboard.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 6:19 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
See response in red.. Good luck with the upgrade.. do let us know if you get it and for how much..

Originally Posted by kcdude
I have a business class ticket HYD-AUH-DFW using AA miles. Obviously this ticket is not eligible for bidding. There is no F service for HYD-AUH. I would like to get AUH-DFW F. As of now, only 2 seats show as sold and 6 open seats.
1. Will they offer paid upgrades at airport for AA award ticket? - Doubt it. The paid upgrades are for certain fare class, and award tickets are not in that bucket.

2. If they do, do I check in HYD or AUH or at both places? -AUH. Hyd staff will be clueless about this. Ask at the transfer desk, not at the gate.

3. Do they ever open up more award seats closer to the departure date? If so, this will be my best bet. - Sorry, no idea about this one. But my reasonable guess is they don't.

4. If they offer airport upgrade, what is the lowest possible or reasonable price? - Check for the paid upgrades on AUH-USA in the wiki above. Add around 20% to it. Or search a little more. You might get some idea about checkin upgrade quotes.

Thanks
Old Aug 11, 2016, 9:22 pm

Just wanted to add some more data.

Traveled JFK-AUH in Y, was offered $1600 to upgrade to J at the airport. (Denied the Offer)
Traveled AUH-BOM in J, I had bid $350 using the Etihad bidding system. Once I got to the gate at AUH, I was told J was overbooked, so I got bumped up to F for no additional cost. Etihad 777 was awesome.

Traveling HYD-JFK later this month
I called Etihad about 20 days before my trip and asked for an instant upgrade.
Paid $900 for an upgrade to the entire route.
HYD - AUH
AUH - JFK

J cost at time of booking was $3500
Y cost - $1450 + 900 upgrade = $2350, Pretty good savings vs purchasing a full fare J ticket.

Excited to try out the new A380 business class.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:36 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by Desirees
Ouch!. Still put it in though because flying 14 hrs in economy could be brutal and would like to avoid if at all possible. Will let you know if it gets upgraded.
Anyone have AUH-JFK from paid J - F bidding?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: British Airways,Amex Centurion
AUH-CDG J to F bidding starting at 4300 AED. ARE THEY INSANE??!? I think using mileage is much cheaper at 33323. Will transfer Amex MR to them and upgrade unless someone knows of a cheaper option? thank you
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: EY Silver
Does anyone have experience on the AUH-HKG sector? Got offered a minimum upgrade bid Y to J of EUR 445 which seems to be a good bargain (according to the website, route should be operated by EY, not Air Seychelles, on my flight date)? Also, is there anyone who could look into the Y load factor on that route for 23rd August? Thanks a lot for your advice!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: EY Silver, BA Silver, EK paper, BOAC Junior Jet Club
MAN-AUH

Plusgrade for MAN-AUH-MAN Y to J
Minimum offer for MAN-AUH is £560 + £72 taxes
Minimum AUH-MAN is also £560 + no extra tax

This seems a £100 increase on earlier prices (I've paid something like £460 before without the tax)

Outbound flight is not full. Return flight is supposedly full in Y (1 seat left). I don't have ExpertFlyer anymore to check. (It is UK Bank Holiday week).

Looks like the minimum offer might go up in response to demand, as others have suggested?

Can't decide whether to bid or not. The cost of EY upgrades (cash or miles) seems to constantly be creeping up and up.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by RowH
Plusgrade for MAN-AUH-MAN Y to J
Minimum offer for MAN-AUH is £560 + £72 taxes
Minimum AUH-MAN is also £560 + no extra tax

This seems a £100 increase on earlier prices (I've paid something like £460 before without the tax)

Outbound flight is not full. Return flight is supposedly full in Y (1 seat left). I don't have ExpertFlyer anymore to check. (It is UK Bank Holiday week).

Looks like the minimum offer might go up in response to demand, as others have suggested?

Can't decide whether to bid or not. The cost of EY upgrades (cash or miles) seems to constantly be creeping up and up.
If you can give me the date of the flight, I can let you know the availability in Y.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
If you can give me the date of the flight, I can let you know the availability in Y.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have pending upgrades for next week's flights (Y->C):
EY461, Sep 1
EY3, Sep 2

David, would you mind checking those dates for me?
Thanks!

Last edited by jp833; Aug 24, 2016 at 11:55 pm
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:38 am

ey 461 p2 f2 a2 r0*melauh 1010p 625a‡1 388 m 0 dca /e
j7 c7 d7 w7 z7 y7 b7 h7 k7 m7

ey 3 f6 a6 r6 j6*auhmuc 845a 140p 333 m 0 dca /e
c4 d4 w0 z0 y7 b7 h7 k7 m5 q2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.