Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by paolo64
Rome-Bangkok (via Dubai). Rome pickup worked very well, confirmed by text and phone call 48 hours prior. Bangkok arrival ( booked through the web)...no confirmation other than online, and no car on arrival. I was in a rush and couldn't be bothered searching, so just took a cab. Pretty unimpressed though.
I assume you didn't have checked baggage - at BKK there is a sign at the baggage belts that the Chauffeur Drive representative is at Door 5. EK flights usually end up being on baggage carousels 18-23 which exit Customs via exit C, which puts you out at Door 9. You have to turn right and walk all the way down the concourse past all the hotel booths, banks, telecoms providers, rental cars etc. to reach Door 5 where all the hotel representatives are waiting. If you exit Customs at exit B, the CD pickup is just on your right.

This is the same if you were going to take a normal taxi or airport train etc. - the main exit to the escalators and elevators up and down is by the same area.

Before you blame EK, this is an Airports of Thailand requirement - no one is allowed to have representatives by the exits from Customs apart from of course, AoT's airport taxi service. If you want to know the reason why, spend more time in Thailand, but it is fairly obvious, I think
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:00 pm

In respect of the Bangkok arrival, I had no idea: no information was provided at the time of booking it, nor was any text, email or phone call received ( unlike the experience in Rome). The arrival was chaotic, a bus to the terminal but not a designated F/J bus. There were people with signs with passengers names but not mine ( prior to immigration) and the usual ones after customs (again not for me). I didn't know there was a designated desk: had Emirates told me I would have gone to it, naturally. They didn't.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I assume you didn't have checked baggage - at BKK there is a sign at the baggage belts that the Chauffeur Drive representative is at Door 5. EK flights usually end up being on baggage carousels 18-23 which exit Customs via exit C, which puts you out at Door 9. You have to turn right and walk all the way down the concourse past all the hotel booths, banks, telecoms providers, rental cars etc. to reach Door 5 where all the hotel representatives are waiting. If you exit Customs at exit B, the CD pickup is just on your right.

This is the same if you were going to take a normal taxi or airport train etc. - the main exit to the escalators and elevators up and down is by the same area.

Before you blame EK, this is an Airports of Thailand requirement - no one is allowed to have representatives by the exits from Customs apart from of course, AoT's airport taxi service. If you want to know the reason why, spend more time in Thailand, but it is fairly obvious, I think
Yes, I know exit 5 because that's where I get SP Limousine . I have a home in Thailand and use them every month.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by paolo64
In respect of the Bangkok arrival, I had no idea: no information was provided at the time of booking it, nor was any text, email or phone call received ( unlike the experience in Rome). The arrival was chaotic, a bus to the terminal but not a designated F/J bus. There were people with signs with passengers names but not mine ( prior to immigration) and the usual ones after customs (again not for me). I didn't know there was a designated desk: had Emirates told me I would have gone to it, naturally. They didn't.
I sympathise - AoT are very strict with non-AoT signage (I've raised the issue before with BKK station). They don't like things "cluttering up their concourses" apparently As well as this, the area where the EK representative has to wait is also very busy with a lot of boards and can be easily missed if it's completely packed.

Luckily taxis, even the AoT airport limousine service, are inexpensive, so it's not too much of an inconvenience to miss it unlike at some stations!

EK do not provide any notification for chauffeur drive on arrival at any station, but the company at BKK is quite good about calling you or your hotel the day before to confirm so there shouldn't be a problem. They will drop you off as close to the check-in door as possible.

Unfortunately, once again with local handling, they are restricted in what is allowed to be offered - even iOs who get transferred to a remote gate in BKK get an old clapped out minivan, unlike the S550s they are used to
Old Dec 1, 2016, 7:20 pm

Yes, it wasn't a big deal for me because I know the airport and was on my way very quickly. People unfamiliar with Bangkok would be wise to check the arrangements more closely than I did.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:24 am

[QUOTE=skywardhunter;27552661]Unfair because of the distance of their destination? It's based on local costs and average distances.

I meant the difference in allowed distances. If it is Emirates that are providing the chauffeur service, perhaps the distance should be uniform in whatever country you live. The fact that it contracted out shouldn't matter. It's unfair that people who either live, or visit Australia don't get the same allowed distance as UK for example.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 12:46 am

[QUOTE=Katykat;27554751]
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Unfair because of the distance of their destination? It's based on local costs and average distances.

I meant the difference in allowed distances. If it is Emirates that are providing the chauffeur service, perhaps the distance should be uniform in whatever country you live. The fact that it contracted out shouldn't matter. It's unfair that people who either live, or visit Australia don't get the same allowed distance as UK for example.
I know right, people in Hong Kong should be allowed to travel into Shenzhen, and Singapore into the depths of Johor Bahru and for the same price you should be able to get a car from NRT to the center of Tokyo......

Clearly applying the same global standards to everything is just not feasible especially considering the wide network of EK. Things cost differently depending on which country you're in and CD is there to make money for EK - but incurs an actual cash cost to the company. It would be completely unrealistic to offer something like CD with uniform standards globally without serious pricing changes. It's more likely they only want to offer what can be had for say, 40 USD in each station - and that of course varies from country to country.

As we all know, airline pricing is ridiculously sensitive - people switch for the cost of 100-200 USD, so better to offer enough to get what works for most people without having to put prices up to compensate for those who want to go further. imho this is a more equitable system.

What matters (to EK) is that most people get a good benefit out of what's provided - catering to every single edge case is just not going to be economically viable. The excess is not that much if available, especially considering the cost of a J/F ticket.

EDIT: It is usually very easy to arrange an excess mileage, even if it is not advertised as being included with EK - or sometimes the company will just do it for you for free. If you give the company a call direct they can sort something out if it's at all possible.

Last edited by eternaltransit; Dec 2, 2016 at 12:58 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: Emirates Platinum
A quick question. Was on a personal trip in Y. Return to DXB is not full, so no Op Up and have upgraded to J with miles. Any chance I could just walk up to CD desk in DXB and get a car?

Sorry - would normally have searched the forum but about to board.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ghostwrita
A quick question. Was on a personal trip in Y. Return to DXB is not full, so no Op Up and have upgraded to J with miles. Any chance I could just walk up to CD desk in DXB and get a car?

Sorry - would normally have searched the forum but about to board.
Absolutely yes. Just explain at the CD desk.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: Emirates Platinum
Originally Posted by m3red
Absolutely yes. Just explain at the CD desk.
Thanks
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Last month both LHR and SYD in F - Mercedes Van. This for 2 pax with one case each - not the most comfortable of rides and would have preferred a saloon.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:48 am

Emirates chauffeur question: I'm trying to remember if you can get back into the chauffeur reservation desk after you leave the airport; does anyone know? I remember a glass sliding door but don't recall whether it was two-way.

Also, how long after your flight lands can you still get a chauffeur? I land at 5:35pm and want to use a chauffeur to AUH at 10:30pmish. Don't feel like wasting it to the mall and then paying to get to AUH later if I can avoid it.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Aaronn
Emirates chauffeur question: I'm trying to remember if you can get back into the chauffeur reservation desk after you leave the airport; does anyone know? I remember a glass sliding door but don't recall whether it was two-way.

Also, how long after your flight lands can you still get a chauffeur? I land at 5:35pm and want to use a chauffeur to AUH at 10:30pmish. Don't feel like wasting it to the mall and then paying to get to AUH later if I can avoid it.
There are malls in Abu Dhabi...? Seems a bit abusive, but then don't we all try to game the system actually curious to see the answer to this. Worst case walk up to one of the CD guys outside and say you walked out by mistake as you missed the desk
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Wow

We've seen all manner of questions over the years about 'maximising' the CD service, but this one - IMHO, of course - really does take the biscuit.

(more accurately, perhaps biscuit could be usefully replaced by another word - one beginning with P).
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:39 pm

Wow is right. Didn't think this is such an abusive maneuver. If I used CD to go straight to AUH and hung out in the EY lounge for 5 hours instead no one would bat an eyelash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.