Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Travel Issues during Operation Protective Edge July 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joshwex90
In light of the current security situation in Israel, please note the following information:

UPDATE REGARDING FAA BAN: The FAA ban has been officially lifted, effective immediately: Press Release – FAA Statement–FAA Lifts Flight Restrictions for Ben Gurion International Airport

Airline/Airport Advisory Information
  • ETH and SDV have been closed until further notice.
  • TLV is operating on or close to regular schedule. One flight so far reported diverted to LCA. Very few sirens in TLV, though one flight deplaned after boarding due to a code red siren. Contact your carrier for more information.
  • LY has announced that they will refund/exchange tickets free of charge due to the security situation for people who don't want to fly now

Travel Warnings
The following information is from the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv:
Small FAQ Regarding Mass Airline Cancellations, Courtesy of Israel Hayom
My airline canceled my flight, what can I do?
First of all, turn to your airline. Each airline has different policies. You may be able to change the flight. DL, for example, lists on their website that you can change the date once for free. You can usually cancel, but there will likely be a fee.

Does Israeli law grant me compensation?
The "Tibi Law" requires airlines to get you to your destination if they cancel your flight. However, it specifically exempts airlines when it's completely out of their control, or "abnormal conditions." In this case, it's legally murky, as the airlines will argue this is a case of war, and not normal, while on the other side, Israel never closed airspace, and this was an individual decision of airlines (US-based carriers not withstanding)

What's the scope of flight cancellations?
It appears to be a domino effect, as airlines cancel in response to others. Especially now, considering the fears over MH17

If I'm stuck in Israel, how can I get abroad?
You can fly with Israeli companies (EL AL, UP, Arkia, Israir) that are continuing to fly abroad. You can also cross the border into Jordan, and fly via Amman. If you're interested in a slow, option, you can always take a boat from Haifa to Cyprus or other destinations.

When you hear a siren, take it seriously! Get to shelter immediately! If you do not have a shelter, get inside to a stairwell, away from a window, (with the window closed,) and cover your head. If in a car, stop the car, get out, and lie down with your hands over your head. After the boom, wait 10 minutes to leave as shrapnel after an Iron Dome intercept can still be in the air!! Do not feel the need to take pictures or videos as a souvenir - you can find plenty online, and there's no reason to play with your life!

Additional helpful FT Threads
Print Wikipost

Travel Issues during Operation Protective Edge July 2014

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by NYTA
. I will save my opinions of whether TK should be allowed at TLV anymore for another forum.
Actually, this is the correct forum as TK flights into Israel probably impact El Al more than any other airline.

TK has basically become Israel's low cost carrier to both Europe and the States. It has several flights out of TLV each day and many (most? the heavy majority?) passengers are not either Turks visiting Israel or Israelis going to Turkey -- although that used to be the case before the current Turkish government came into office.

Instead, they are merely connecting in IST and then continuing on to other European cities and to the US, thus reducing the potential market for LY. Normally, I would have no problem with this but as Turkey has become almost an enemy country, I see no reason to allow this to continue.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Supporting BDS?

Originally Posted by Dovster
Normally, I would have no problem with this but as Turkey has become almost an enemy country, I see no reason to allow this to continue.
So you support an economic boycott of any company operating in a country where you disagree with their government's policy.

Do you also support similar policies against Israeli companies operating around the world? If someone in New Zealand objects to Israeli government policy and behaviour do you think they should boycott Teva generic drugs for example?

This is a very sharp double edged sword you are wielding.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:57 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
Let's try to keep this thread about actual issues that are impacting travelers during Operation Protective Edge. This isn't a thread for debating BDS or other topics.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Moderator, EL AL Forum
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
As of this morning, landings and takeoffs are back to normal (runway wise).
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by clubman
You sure about that - still seeing planes coming in between Raanana/Poleg this afternoon? Or you just referring to Takeoffs and landings?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by jonnye
You sure about that - still seeing planes coming in between Raanana/Poleg this afternoon? Or you just referring to Takeoffs and landings?
Flightradar24 this morning shows take offs on 26, landings on 21. The latter means hitting the land between Ga'ash and Udim, south of Netanya, and then turning south around Kohav Yair.

Shuly
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Definitely not heading really far east anymore, as friends in Oranit say they no longer have planes flying over all the time
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Definitely not heading really far east anymore, as friends in Oranit say they no longer have planes flying over all the time
Take-offs on runway 8 (eastward) this evening. Back to (ab)normal.

Shuly
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Hamas threatened the airport from 6am.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by clubman
During the past few weeks--up to and including today, as I lay on the Netanya beach I am seeing civilian aircraft that are climbing. They are very high and I cant' tell the airline, but the light colors tell me they aren't military. ( also they are singles, while military seem to fly i groups)
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Once again, RJ has canceled their flights. According to their Israeli offices, it's due to the security situation, with no word whether this will be a one off event of we can expect more cancellations in the coming week(s).
חברת התעופה הירדנית ביטלה טיסה לארץ (YNET, Hebrew: "Jordanian airline cancels their flight to Israel")
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
IDF have now placed an Iron Dome battery south of the airport perimeter - so the airport is technically safer than its ever been. Additionally the flight path shifts northwards (arrivals/departures) are now out of range of rockets anyway - so basically commercial airlines are 'covered' in all sense of the word.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jonnye
IDF have now placed an Iron Dome battery south of the airport perimeter - so the airport is technically safer than its ever been. Additionally the flight path shifts northwards (arrivals/departures) are now out of range of rockets anyway - so basically commercial airlines are 'covered' in all sense of the word.
Until Iron Dome is 100% effective with 0 threat of shrapnel, an argument could be made that the airport isn't completely safe (even though I believe it's as safe as, if not safer than, most commercial airports around the world).
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:10 am

So the biggest danger in Israel continues to be, as it has been for years--driving--and crossing the streets!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Once again, RJ has canceled their flights. According to their Israeli offices, it's due to the security situation, with no word whether this will be a one off event of we can expect more cancellations in the coming week(s).
חברת התעופה הירדנית ביטלה טיסה לארץ (YNET, Hebrew: "Jordanian airline cancels their flight to Israel")
Here is a (shorter) English version of that news item:
Royal Jordanian cancels flight from Jordan to Tel Aviv

Jordanian airline Royal Jordanian cancelled its Thursday morning flight from Amman to Tel Aviv. The airline said the reason for the cancellation was the unstable security situation.

It has been only a week since the Jordanian airline renewed its flights to Israel after a month it had ceased its activity in Israel.

It is not yet clear whether the airline will cancel additional flights in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.