Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will BA be the safe airline here too ? (Tel Aviv)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens

I guess you all want BA to be safe and suspend all flights too, right ?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-28427236

But no: https://twitter.com/British_Airways/...17700712427520

So, what do you think of BA's safety reputation now ? Or is this 'different' somehow ?

(I'll get a beer)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Interesting question henkybaby. I know you narrowly avoided MH17 so it must feel close to home.

I don't think it is different- a situation of increased danger to safe aircraft operations brought about by conflict on the ground.

If, as I think we are being led to believe, BA were avoiding overflying eastern Ukraine out of 'an abundance of caution', then I can't see that they can continue to fly into TLV until the situation improves.

For the record, I don't think MH could have remotely forseen what might happen, but then being over-cautious is a mitigation against the 'unforseen'.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An example of the US over-reacting to events in a foreign country?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
European carriers Lufthansa, KLM, and Air France have also cancelled flights to Tel Aviv.
Just wondering how double standards will be applied here.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:44 am

I'm in Tel Aviv right now so let me shed some light on this. (and I happen to be booked on a BA flight on Monday out of TLV). Yes, a rocket or shrapnel of a rocket hit near the airport but Tel Aviv is definitely not a war zone. Aside from the once or twice a day siren when the Iron Dome (hopefully) intercepts the rocket from Gaza, life is normal in the area. I don't quite blame the airlines for canceling in light of MH17 but I also don't think you can blame BA for not canceling. There are actually less frequent rocket attacks now than there were a week or two ago and the only reason you didn't hear about them was because they were successfully intercepted. Now, one may have gotten through but this is (hopefully) a rare occurrence. Basically what I'm saying is, I think airlines are only canceling in light of the MH17 incident and if not, they would have cancelled a week or two ago when situations were worse.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AMEX Plat and all that comes with it.
With EU carriers now doing the same hard to see how BA can hold out?

It's possible this is a over reaction based on last weeks events but if a rocket landed near the airport there is a risk it could land on a runway.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: ABBA
Hamas did say they were targeting the military base at TLV some weeks ago.

Avoiding the Ukraine just costs the airline a bit more money in extra fuel. Actually cancelling a flight is a lot different on the downside side.

That said I'm surprised that BA are still flying and air France aren't / AF are the ones that diverted from Beirut into Damascus in the middle of a civil war, then had a whip round to pay for fuel.

I assume easyjet haven't cancelled?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: GGLfL

Isn't there also a (not insignificant) risk that a nutter returning from nutter training camp in Syria will launch a rocket at an aircraft taking off from LHR?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Isn't there also a (not insignificant) risk that a nutter returning from nutter training camp in Syria will launch a rocket at an aircraft taking off from LHR?
I think that risk is slightly higher at Tel Aviv...
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
... Or a subtle bit of political leverage on Israel?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
Once rockets start being launched in the uk, or even found, then perhaps airlines will reevaluate the risk. Until then we're safe when our cordless toothbrush is confiscated due to a flat battery, and that bottle of water you have for the 30C heat is thrown in the pile of explosives at every X-ray.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:24 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
According to flight stats all airlines operating to TLV today and although Delta and United are shown as cancelled on 23/7 US Airways are still shown as operating as are all EU airlines.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:25 pm

US Airways flying out empty... http://i.imgur.com/rJZhReR.png
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Hmmm.

Does Hamas have Ground-to-Air missiles?
Have any other planes been shot down over the area?

IIRC, those were two of the givens of the area that MH17 was shot down over, right?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mjrkong
Hmmm.
Does Hamas have Ground-to-Air missiles?
Have any other planes been shot down over the area?
IIRC, those were two of the givens of the area that MH17 was shot down over, right?
Incoming ground-to-ground missiles, which Hamas launches intensively, can severely disrupt your priority boarding procedure, baggage handling efficiency ... and actually destroy aircraft on the ground and kill people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.