Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Travel Issues during Operation Protective Edge July 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joshwex90
In light of the current security situation in Israel, please note the following information:

UPDATE REGARDING FAA BAN: The FAA ban has been officially lifted, effective immediately: Press Release – FAA Statement–FAA Lifts Flight Restrictions for Ben Gurion International Airport

Airline/Airport Advisory Information
  • ETH and SDV have been closed until further notice.
  • TLV is operating on or close to regular schedule. One flight so far reported diverted to LCA. Very few sirens in TLV, though one flight deplaned after boarding due to a code red siren. Contact your carrier for more information.
  • LY has announced that they will refund/exchange tickets free of charge due to the security situation for people who don't want to fly now

Travel Warnings
The following information is from the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv:
Small FAQ Regarding Mass Airline Cancellations, Courtesy of Israel Hayom
My airline canceled my flight, what can I do?
First of all, turn to your airline. Each airline has different policies. You may be able to change the flight. DL, for example, lists on their website that you can change the date once for free. You can usually cancel, but there will likely be a fee.

Does Israeli law grant me compensation?
The "Tibi Law" requires airlines to get you to your destination if they cancel your flight. However, it specifically exempts airlines when it's completely out of their control, or "abnormal conditions." In this case, it's legally murky, as the airlines will argue this is a case of war, and not normal, while on the other side, Israel never closed airspace, and this was an individual decision of airlines (US-based carriers not withstanding)

What's the scope of flight cancellations?
It appears to be a domino effect, as airlines cancel in response to others. Especially now, considering the fears over MH17

If I'm stuck in Israel, how can I get abroad?
You can fly with Israeli companies (EL AL, UP, Arkia, Israir) that are continuing to fly abroad. You can also cross the border into Jordan, and fly via Amman. If you're interested in a slow, option, you can always take a boat from Haifa to Cyprus or other destinations.

When you hear a siren, take it seriously! Get to shelter immediately! If you do not have a shelter, get inside to a stairwell, away from a window, (with the window closed,) and cover your head. If in a car, stop the car, get out, and lie down with your hands over your head. After the boom, wait 10 minutes to leave as shrapnel after an Iron Dome intercept can still be in the air!! Do not feel the need to take pictures or videos as a souvenir - you can find plenty online, and there's no reason to play with your life!

Additional helpful FT Threads
Print Wikipost

Travel Issues during Operation Protective Edge July 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by shuly
Looks like AF1320 stopped in Athens in the last three days on its way to TLV. My guess is it was to minimize turnaround time at TLV.

Shuly
Several other airlines, including KL, AZ, LH and OS, seem to be delaying their late-night (early-morning) arrival in TLV in favor of shorter turnaround times.

For example, tonight (that is, tomorrow), LH690 expected to arrive 03:40 instead of 00:35, LH694 moved from 02:40 to 06:00, and OS859 from 00:50 to 04:55.

Shuly
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
I am on BA162 TLV-LHR on Sun 13July and was notified 6:15 on Sat 12Jul that departure was pushed from 0735 to 1640. Inbound BA163 still shows scheduled on time. Agent merely said it was mechanical. And discussion about protecting my LHR-EWR leg taking place while the Code Red was sounding in Jerusalem.

No idea whether this is really mex or whether BA just decided to operate both daily TLV flights at the same time.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
Got my answer on the BA forum. Crew sickness and replacements are being brought on the BA AM flight. Nothing to do with equipment or with hostilities.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Wiki updated to reflect the ceasefire agreement
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Korean Air just suspended TLV service
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...546898,00.html
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

Correct, although it wasn't just now (they announced it yesterday).

I believe Norwegian did the same.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:12 am

I have updated the wiki part - there is no ceasefire negotiation per se at the time being.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:35 am

Apparently DL suspended all flights to TLV and diverted their flight today to CDG.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: A3*G
also US canceled today.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
And UA
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:10 am

The UA plane is on the ground in TLV but they canceled tonight's flight. That makes no sense.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:41 am

US Air supposedly had equipment in TLV which it flew out empty. I am not getting it either. Well, while so many here are El Al detractors, at least I know that my flight WILL go tonight!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
WSJ reporting that the FAA has banned all flights to/from TLV (and the USA, obviously,) during the next 24 hours
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: A3*G
LH group cancelled all flights for the next 36 hours.

edit: also AF, KL & AC

Last edited by travel agent; Jul 22, 2014 at 11:56 am
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:05 pm

The FAA only issues orders to US airlines, they do not control anyone else--although it appears many European carriers are following suit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.