Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Travel Issues during Operation Protective Edge July 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joshwex90
In light of the current security situation in Israel, please note the following information:

UPDATE REGARDING FAA BAN: The FAA ban has been officially lifted, effective immediately: Press Release – FAA Statement–FAA Lifts Flight Restrictions for Ben Gurion International Airport

Airline/Airport Advisory Information
  • ETH and SDV have been closed until further notice.
  • TLV is operating on or close to regular schedule. One flight so far reported diverted to LCA. Very few sirens in TLV, though one flight deplaned after boarding due to a code red siren. Contact your carrier for more information.
  • LY has announced that they will refund/exchange tickets free of charge due to the security situation for people who don't want to fly now

Travel Warnings
The following information is from the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv:
Small FAQ Regarding Mass Airline Cancellations, Courtesy of Israel Hayom
My airline canceled my flight, what can I do?
First of all, turn to your airline. Each airline has different policies. You may be able to change the flight. DL, for example, lists on their website that you can change the date once for free. You can usually cancel, but there will likely be a fee.

Does Israeli law grant me compensation?
The "Tibi Law" requires airlines to get you to your destination if they cancel your flight. However, it specifically exempts airlines when it's completely out of their control, or "abnormal conditions." In this case, it's legally murky, as the airlines will argue this is a case of war, and not normal, while on the other side, Israel never closed airspace, and this was an individual decision of airlines (US-based carriers not withstanding)

What's the scope of flight cancellations?
It appears to be a domino effect, as airlines cancel in response to others. Especially now, considering the fears over MH17

If I'm stuck in Israel, how can I get abroad?
You can fly with Israeli companies (EL AL, UP, Arkia, Israir) that are continuing to fly abroad. You can also cross the border into Jordan, and fly via Amman. If you're interested in a slow, option, you can always take a boat from Haifa to Cyprus or other destinations.

When you hear a siren, take it seriously! Get to shelter immediately! If you do not have a shelter, get inside to a stairwell, away from a window, (with the window closed,) and cover your head. If in a car, stop the car, get out, and lie down with your hands over your head. After the boom, wait 10 minutes to leave as shrapnel after an Iron Dome intercept can still be in the air!! Do not feel the need to take pictures or videos as a souvenir - you can find plenty online, and there's no reason to play with your life!

Additional helpful FT Threads
Print Wikipost

Travel Issues during Operation Protective Edge July 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Flew out on LY 001 last night and we were actually able to see Iron Dome shooting down a rocket in the distance. Was quite amazing!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: A3*G
חברת התעופה הגרמנית ''טואי'' מבטלת את הטיסות לישראל

which airline is this?

במהלך השבוע הקרוב, החל מיום ראשון, ה-13.7, משעה 05:00 וד מוצ"ש ה-19.7, בשעה 24:00, כל הטיסות הבינלאומיות מטרמינל 1 יועברו לטרמינל 3.

is that also related?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
That wold be TUIfly.

(X3 canceled their flight to Israel.)

(Next week, from Sunday July 13 at 05:00 until Saturday night, July 19, at 00:00, all international flights will move from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3.)

I have no clue if that's connected. There may have been plans for some work there anyways or it could be related if they need T1 used for some other purpose, though I can't imagine what as the IAF has major bases in the south. And anyways, from what I understand, all international flights anyways use T3, so it's not like planes are moving - just check-in services.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Flights from Germany to Israel on LY delayed 2 hours due to "TLV being closed." TLV has not been confirmed closed from any other source. Looking at UA, 85 took off with a 40 minute delay and 91 is schedule to depart on time, with check-in opening momentarily.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Flew out on LY 001 last night and we were actually able to see Iron Dome shooting down a rocket in the distance. Was quite amazing!
It's also quite amazing seeing it from your porch/front yard and you get the added bonus of hearing the missile roar by and the ensuing "boom" when everything explodes
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by joshwex90
In comparison to the south, certainly not. Serving on the Gaza border, there were days where we spent more time running to/from the shelter than pretty much anything else. That being said, when a siren goes off in Ramat Gan, people don't look confused as to what's happening or freak out - everyone went straight to the shelter.

Sorry for what you've been going through the past 14 years - hope that it finally ends once and for all!

posting from somewhere nice and hot in uncomfortable madei bet
Thanks, but it hasn't been 14 years for me (I've been in the country for 7 and a half years). I've been living in the South for about 5 now, which is still a significant period of time.

Stay safe during your miluim! Personally, I'm wearing Madei Keva which is even less comfortable ^
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:13 pm

Flying out with AC on Monday to TLV from YYZ and seriously concerned about this whole situation..
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:45 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I land in Tel Aviv on Wednesday morning. My boss inquired as to where I'll be in Israel and I said "Tel Aviv". He asked if I was certain I wanted to go as things look pretty bad over there. I said that since my sons are in Israel, things would have to be at a level where I would feel the need to pull my sons out, in order for me to consider not going. That said, Modiin has thus far been pretty quiet whereas Tel Aviv has seen more activity. Am I nuts or simply Israeli?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by youyou
Flying out with AC on Monday to TLV from YYZ and seriously concerned about this whole situation..
What are your travel plans? So far, outside the south, Israelis continue to live their lives quite normally.

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I land in Tel Aviv on Wednesday morning. My boss inquired as to where I'll be in Israel and I said "Tel Aviv". He asked if I was certain I wanted to go as things look pretty bad over there. I said that since my sons are in Israel, things would have to be at a level where I would feel the need to pull my sons out, in order for me to consider not going. That said, Modiin has thus far been pretty quiet whereas Tel Aviv has seen more activity. Am I nuts or simply Israeli?
Modiin also has an Iron Dome battery (though so does Tel Aviv). Tel Aviv is more classically "Israeli." I don't think they get their shock value when they say "Modiin."

Enjoy! Maybe it's time for another mini-DO!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Do the European airlines that cancel their flights have to pay EU261 compensation or can they get out of it because it's a war?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D167 Safari/9537.53)

EU261 doesn't apply under these circumstances.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Modiin has been very quiet - no alarms at all so far (I live there).
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by travel agent
AC TLV -YYZ today is landing in SNN for 30 Min. any idea why? its not an emergency, it was planned before departure from TLV
today again, what could be the reason? & if they have to stop then why not at LHR, where they a have staff?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I'm going to venture a guess that they are stopping there to refuel in case they need to hold before landing for a long time or divert someplace farther away. A lot of the TATL flights arrive without a whole lot of reserves for diversions and fuel and landing fees are probably a heckuva lot cheaper at SNN than LHR where they'd need a slot to land anyway.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:22 am

Air France from ATH

Looks like AF1320 stopped in Athens in the last three days on its way to TLV. My guess is it was to minimize turnaround time at TLV.

Shuly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.