Search

Left at gate in wheelchair

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Left at gate in wheelchair

I'll spare you the details, but here are the key points:

• Upon arriving in ATL, I had to wait 10+ minutes after plane fully deplaned for wheelchair assistance.
  • Once assistance arrived, I was pushed to the top of the ramp and then told I would be pushed no further by this attendant and he wasn't sure who was supposed to take me beyond there.
  • He then suggested my elderly mother push me, leaving her responsible for pushing me and tugging the baggage as well.
  • Delta took a month to respond (not exaggerating) and when they did gave me 10k Skymiles.

Quite frankly, I feel like the gesture is a slap in the face. Given the situation I would have expected someone to at least reach out via telephone and offer an apology. 10k Miles? I've been offered the same for a broken AVOD.

Having never traveled in a wheelchair before or since (I was temporarily disabled due to a surgery) I'm not sure if this is the norm and I may be overreacting... before writing a further letter addressed directly to Richard Anderson I wanted to get some thoughts.

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I'll copy something I recently posted in the thread, DL Internal Audits Disabled PAX - MSP Bottom Rank:

I am currently disabled. Had a bad car accident, lost my legs and am waiting on prosthetics.

I have a power wheelchair, so I don't deal with the pusher folks, but I do use the aisle chair to board and deplane the aircraft. I'm in the ATL airport 2-3 times per week and the large majority of the Airserv or Prospect folks (depending on the airport) are really great. I know a few in ATL very well and most of them remember me. There are some that are sour sacks, but it's a contractor so I ignore it and go see my favorite DL reps in the Sky Club.

That said, I have not found a friendly one of these folks in JFK yet.

I've complained three times to DL about issues concerning disabled accommodation.
1. Arrived to JFK from BOS and sat on the CR9 for an hour before the wheelchair lift was brought to the aircraft. There was another passenger also stuck onboard who needed the aisle chair as well. The wheelchair folks treated me with little respect and snapped at me because I didn't have a paper BP they could take for their records.

2. Another time in JFK - I arrived at the gate at t-1 hour to board the direct to SEA. Boarding started at t-35 and I was first down. Within two minutes, before I had even gotten on the plane, the GA began boarding BE. I had to wait for them to board, as I was also turning left on that 752. This was a DL issue, not a wheelchair contractor.

3. Flying GNV-ATL-LAS for a meeting. Ground crew drops my wheelchair from the cargo hold to the tarmac in ATL. I'm assigned a wheelchair pusher while they try to find a loaner power chair. I was rebooked to return to GNV, but had to wait 5 hours until my flight. The pusher takes me to the smoking lounge so I can smoke a cigar and call my client to cancel the meeting. He leaves to help at another gate and says he'll be back in an hour. He never shows - I sat in the lounge for nearly three hours. My wheelchair was totaled and an exact replica was built & delivered within two weeks. I wasn't upset - dropping the chair was an accident, but my pusher disappearing was not.
Each time, DL responded and gave me the government complaint number, but I never filed a complaint. I'll take the DL apology and some miles and move on.

Overall, I'm very happy. My wheelchair is always gate checked, so I don't have to deal with the pushers (except in China, where I have to collect the chair at oversize baggage). The folks who help me board in the aisle chair are usually nice. When I'm in GNV to visit my sister (undergrad at that terrible university), it's a small airport and everyone there knows my name and are truly exceptional - even the TSA folks. My guy Jama in Seattle actually stays past his scheduled hours to help me when he sees my name on the wheelchair schedule. I tip him well. I am told, though, that these wheelchair pushers are rarely tipped and I'm afraid that might lead to sour, grumpy folks.

Anyway, just some notes/observations from my own experiences.
Main recommendation I have for folks dealing with a pusher is to refuse to let them walk away. They most likely won't be back. If you e-mail RA, update us on the response that you receive.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Wow I'm very sorry to hear about your experiences! The entire ordeal certainly gave me a renewed respect for those who require a wheelchair to get around.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
The entire ordeal certainly gave me a renewed respect for those who require a wheelchair to get around.
Sorry to hear you're not well, MK! Get well quick!

I hurt my back about 2 weeks ago. I leaned over in an awkward way in the supermarket, and - OHHHH MANNN - the PAIN!!! I couldn't move or even stand up straight!! Not in a W/C, and MUCH better after seeing a chiropractor for the first time in my life, but, it certainly has given me new respect for people who always complain about their backs!

Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta MM; HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum, ICH Platinum Ambassador, Hertz Gold
10K Miles Seems Unreasonable

It's hard to believe what happened to you and I think it's absolutely outrageous. I have no experience or special knowledge in this area, but personally 10,000 miles is not fair whatsoever. Maybe others will feel differently but I would think something in the range of double or triple that number would be fair.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
I think you were shabbily treated by an airline that claims to offer a service that you did not really receive. If you knew you would be abandoned on the jetway, you might have chosen another airline. So if DL doesn't actually plan to ensure that its contract employees provide this service, it should not offer it. Otherwise, you should receive an apology for your treatment.

I did wonder, however, how much of the nonchalant attitude was due to the miracle cures of people needing the wheelchair on boarding but not on landing, just to get early boarding privileges. Having witnessed a bunch of these at passport clearance last week in Europe (probably only one of the five groups that jumped our line actually included somebody who really did need the wheelchair), I can understand the airlines becoming overwhelmed by demand and underwhelmed by the need.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 1, 2014 at 10:54 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:52 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
To the OP. It sucks that you were treated this way. But as your condition was temporary, I would chalk it up as lesson learned in life and just go on your way.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 1, 2014 at 10:54 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content and response thereof.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately I don't think you'll get more compensation. I totally agree Delta's compensation scale is awkward; with AVOD problems seemingly treated with the same compensation as much more serious problems.

I have had multi-day bag delays, mechanical cancellations, and the most compensation I've ever received was for AVOD. It doesn't make sense, especially when some planes don't even HAVE AVOD, but when I've complained to Delta about this scale they don't care.

Complaining to DOT may help. Try that if you still want Delta to feel some mutual pain. Otherwise, I'd move on.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: lots of little things
OP, please review the ACAA protections that you and all travelers are protected under. I can't remember the number but I believe they have up to 30 minutes in which the carrier must be there to assist on transporting you by wheelchair. View Subpart G in the eCFRs.

The ACAA complaint website is here. The protections are very real and can be surprisingly well enforced by the DOT. Potential ACAA (and all other consumer protection) violations shouldn't be accepted or swept under the rug.

Also, if you're ever in an unacceptable/uncomfortable situation regarding accessibility in the future, ask to speak with a CRO (Complaints Resolution Official - for ACAA matters only) immediately. All airlines are required to have one of their trained employees available during operating hours.

Last edited by dc333; Jul 1, 2014 at 9:35 am Reason: CRO info
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dc333
OP, please review the ACAA protections that you and all travelers are protected under. I can't remember the number but I believe they have up to 30 minutes in which the carrier must be there to assist on transporting you by wheelchair. View Subpart G in the eCFRs.

The ACAA complaint website is here. The protections are very real and can be surprisingly well enforced by the DOT. Potential ACAA (and all other consumer protection) violations shouldn't be accepted or swept under the rug.

Also, if you're ever in an unacceptable/uncomfortable situation regarding accessibility in the future, ask to speak with a CRO (Complaints Resolution Official - for ACAA matters only) immediately. All airlines are required to have one of their trained employees available during operating hours.
+1

Your condition may be temporary, but if there are improvements to be made --- please make sure to provide feedback so that others won't have to experience what you did in the future.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Unfortunately I don't think you'll get more compensation.
Not looking for any... Honestly, I would have been happier with a 3 minute phone call from a real person apologizing for the incident.

My point about the 10k was about what message it sent: Delta doesn't care about this any more than they do a broken AVOD on a 4 hour flight.

I guess what I'm after is whether or not I am blowing this out of proportion to think this is a big deal. On second thought, perhaps this belongs in the travelers with disabilities forum. I'll page a mod to move.

Thanks all for the insight and feedback!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:48 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

On second thought, perhaps this belongs in the travelers with disabilities forum. I'll page a mod to move.
Your wish is my command.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Jul 2, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Hi all! Hoping for some objective feedback on the issue outlined above. Is this level of neglect standard practice?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: United MP
Hi all! Hoping for some objective feedback on the issue outlined above. Is this level of neglect standard practice?
Being left at the top of the jetway is NOT standard practice. In fact, in my experience, getting the pushers to go away is tough. They want their tip.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:04 pm

I can't speak for Delta, but no, that's not standard practice.

Should you encounter a similar situation in future, ask to speak to Delta's CRO immediately. Every airline is required to have a CRO on duty during normal operations:

(a) Each carrier providing scheduled
service shall establish and implement a
complaint resolution mechanism, including
designating one or more complaints resolution
official(s) (CRO) to be available at each
airport which the carrier serves.

(1) The carrier shall make a CRO available
to any person who complains of alleged
violations of this part during all times the
carrier is operating at the airport.

(3) Each CRO shall be thoroughly familiar
with the requirements of this part and the
carrier’s procedures with respect to
passengers with a disability.

(4) Each CRO shall have the authority to
make dispositive resolution of complaints on
behalf of the carrier.
(There's more if you want to read the whole thing: http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/382short.pdf)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.