Best upscale chain steakhouse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best upscale chain steakhouse?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:24 pm

2014 best experience so far: Del Frisco in North Dallas

Great steak, super table side service with chef coming out and slicing steak, wonderful side dishes, excellent live piano music! Surprising!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by best
Great steak, super table side service with chef coming out and slicing steak, wonderful side dishes, excellent live piano music! Surprising!
And I hope that you saved some room for a slice of that lemon cake for dessert!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
For example, having worked for a major food manufacturer, it would kill me when the National Restaurant.... .
I love the NRA Show. But who has room to eat after standing in the eli's cheesecake line repeatedly.......

Actually We ended up at my favorite tapas place, the Mercat in the Blackstone.......funny thing was when I announced where I was going, I had a car full and everyone was pleased with the place, except the IT guy......... He thought I said a Topless place

Last edited by Ceres; Jan 29, 2014 at 12:59 pm
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:05 pm

Mortons is definitely off the list as is any self proclaimed high end "Steak House" that will serve you ten different versions of "Tuna Tar Tar" but does not even have 'Steak Tar Tar" on the menu.

My vote is for Abe and Louies Boston

Problem is all these high end steak joints don't make their steaks any better than the Texas Roadhouse. Is ambience worth an extra few hundred bucks added to the tab??????

Last edited by wordsew; Jan 29, 2014 at 2:25 pm
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:04 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
+1masses also support McDonald's, Red Lobster, etc.I'm going to guess "lacks culture" was not the correct term the poster you quoted was looking for. I'd say the poster was attempting to describe a more a vanilla or unimaginative/unadventurous diner, but this isn't just a symptom of the suburbs, most diners are not adventurous.

So as stated, a steakhouse is vanilla/chocolate, it pleases most because it isn't offensive, a steakhouse serves items that most diners are familiar with which is very important to a lot of diners.

I'll enjoy a steakhouse dinner a couple times per year, usually business dinners, and if I have to provide a vote for a National steakhouse chain, I'll vote for Flemings.
No one is saying that you should limit your fine dining to steakhouses, but every once in a while, I want a well cooked hunk of dead cow in a nice atmosphere. I do not need haute cuisine every time I go out.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 4:18 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wordsew
Problem is all these high end steak joints don't make their steaks any better than the Texas Roadhouse. Is ambience worth an extra few hundred bucks added to the tab??????
It isn't just ambience, the product is definitely different as can be the cooking method. What cooking method does TX Roadhouse use and what grade/cuts of meat do they serve?
Originally Posted by best
Why would a chef slice steak tableside? & what was the benefit? (I've seen cutting of prime rib tableside, but not a personal steak)
Originally Posted by BlueStreak17
I do not need haute cuisine every time I go out.
I didn't mean to imply fine dining, I was going for simply ANY other cuisine rather than a steakhouse. I found it amazing that those in the food business would always default to meat & potatoes restaurant.

I do equate most folks who go to steakhouses for a high % of their dining are like the kid that won't eat anything but chicken nuggets. I've had plenty of clients like this. Nothing wrong with it if one has tried other cuisines, but to not try other cuisines that are out there is a crime. (& most haven't tried other cuisines or ordered the wrong item from the wrong restaurant)

Like you, I sometimes want a well cooked (medium rare for me) hunk of dead cow in a nice atmosphere, but only sometimes as there is sooooooo much more out there in the dining world.

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Jan 29, 2014 at 4:24 pm
Old Jan 30, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
This is somewhat OT but do any of the high-end steak houses use sous vide cooking?

Cheers,
T.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:38 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thalassa
This is somewhat OT but do any of the high-end steak houses use sous vide cooking?

Cheers,
T.
Perhaps an independent, I would be amazed if a chain did.

a sous vide steak is an interesting thought, however according to this URL link, "Unfortunately, sous-vide cooking is deficient in one key category: it doesn't brown your meat."

Having a steak not browned or charred would be missing a very important taste/texture component IMO, but the article also goes on to state that a chef can do a post sous vide searing of the steak.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:54 am

Perhaps an independent, I would be amazed if a chain did.

a sous vide steak is an interesting thought, however according to this URL link, "Unfortunately, sous-vide cooking is deficient in one key category: it doesn't brown your meat."

Having a steak not browned or charred would be missing a very important taste/texture component IMO, but the article also goes on to state that a chef can do a post sous vide searing of the steak.
Thanks for the great link!

Cheers,
T.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
My favorites are Del Frisco's and Capital Grille. I also like Ruth's Chris and go to them in cities that do not have a Capital Grille or Del Frisco's. BLT Steak is also very good.

I have been to Morton's, Palm and Flemings and do not like them as much. The best steak I have ever had though was from Craft Steak in the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:40 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Craig6z
It is expected that the Mastro's concept will expand considerably in the next few years, since it was bought last year by the large restaurant operator - Landrys. The Mortons chain is also owned by Landrys.
Right you are. Mastro's just bought The Chart House in Malibu and will focus on seafood.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Thalassa

Cheers,
T.

Not a chain and not even a steakhouse but Momofuku Ko in NYC does. One course they do is a steak they sous vide then deep fry. Not a big steak but enough to enjoy. Very crispy on the outside but nice and tender on the inside. I know im not doing it any justice by describing it but they truly do a great job on the steak.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: WN RR, DL SM, Hilton, Marriott, National
Bob's Steak and Chop

I have to give a thumbs-up for Bob's. The original location in Dallas on Lemmon is that classic old-school steakhouse: dark wood paneling, jar of pickles and peppers on every table. Shrimp cocktails. And perfectly cooked prime beef.

And as a bonus, everything isn't ala carte, so no $10 baked potatoes!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by jologolf212
Not a chain and not even a steakhouse but Momofuku Ko in NYC does. One course they do is a steak they sous vide then deep fry. Not a big steak but enough to enjoy. Very crispy on the outside but nice and tender on the inside. I know im not doing it any justice by describing it but they truly do a great job on the steak.
A boiled and then fried steak? Sounds disgusting.

Give me the 1800 degree broiler every time!
Old Feb 9, 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
A boiled and then fried steak? Sounds disgusting.

Give me the 1800 degree broiler every time!
Sous vide is anything but boiling ;-)

And there is very little scientific evidence to back up the super-high heat preparation. But each to his own.

Cheers,
T.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.