Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tea?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:49 am

I drink darjeeling tea everyday and sometimes sencha or other green tea. I also enjoy milk tea or bubble tea
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: American, United, Delta, UsAir, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
I've been drinking tea since I was 5 and we were stationed in Oxford. Mom would bring us tea in bed to warm us up in the morning because there was no heat upstairs. For me, just the smell makes me happy. I love Earl Grey or English Breakfast teas, but green tea with Jasmine or oolong teas are good too. Herbal teas are wonderful iced for the summer (instead of sugary sodas) or hot in the winter when you don't want any more caffeine.

Good luck with your tea exploration. If you ever get a chance, do a high tea somewhere. I've heard recently that the Marriott by Hyde Park has a wonderful high tea.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've had tea at Harrod's a couple times. It's fun. Tried to go to the Savoy for tea but didn't realize they had a dress code. Oops.

I also had tea at the Peninsula in NYC a few years ago, which was fun.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I very much enjoy tea. In fact, one of the first ways I got close to my sister-in-law, a first generation Russian immigrant, was by her making me tea. The way she does it is almost an art form. I like any black tea with honey and maybe a little milk just to cool it down. Plus, if you've got a Biscoff for dunking it's even better.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN
I've tried tea (hot and iced) and I just don't like it. I don't like cheap coffee, either. It has to be Pilot if it's retail, maybe mcdoodies, and if I make it at home, I buy Seattle's Best or something similar, not Yuban or Folgers or Maxwell House.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blackdawn2
I've tried tea (hot and iced) and I just don't like it. I don't like cheap coffee, either. It has to be Pilot if it's retail, maybe mcdoodies, and if I make it at home, I buy Seattle's Best or something similar, not Yuban or Folgers or Maxwell House.
I've never heard of Pilot or (hehehee) McDoodie's.

Seattle's Best hardly seems a paragon of fanciness either.

Folgers and Maxwell House are instant, aren't they? Starbucks Via is the only decent instant coffee I've tried.

But let's keep this on tea, not coffee.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I now drink tea regularly because I find its the only beverage that you can take without sugar that's actually pretty good for you.

I like to try different teas, but often default down to green tea. I can get the teas no problem at Chinese, Japanese, and Korean restaurants. Comes often hot and is a perfect beverage.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AA,DL,WN
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I've never heard of Pilot or (hehehee) McDoodie's.

Seattle's Best hardly seems a paragon of fanciness either.

Folgers and Maxwell House are instant, aren't they? Starbucks Via is the only decent instant coffee I've tried.

But let's keep this on tea, not coffee.
I wonder if McDoodie's sells tea?

Pilot is a truck stop chain. They sell tea there as well.

I drink instant coffee as often as tea, ie never. Seattle's Best ground coffee tastes great. Folgers and Maxwell House ground coffee is like the stuff they have at service stations or cheap motels. Almost undrinkable.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Keemun is my favourite but very hard to find in looseleaf form. Otherwise Lapsang Souchong in loose leaf form. But both those only at tea time. For breakfast I prefer builders tea and I'm happy with tea bags.

What I don't understand is why tea bags taste so poor in the USA. My local store sells both PG Tips (in the specialty section!) and Taylors of Harrogate: both claim to be imported from the UK but both do not taste right at all.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

People keep mentioning "builders tea". What is it?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:40 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Fairly standard black tea (low-grade English breakfast, usually), from a tea bag, stewed and squeezed, with milk and, if preferred, sugar.

It's what a builder, in the UK, will drink on very regular breaks.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M
I'm definitely a tea person, with different teas for different time of day: English breakfast in the morning, green Jasmine flavoured after lunch (I prefer Newby brand) and Twinings' Prince of Wales after dinner. I tolerate teabags, but prefer loose tea.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I strongly prefer tea to coffee. Not much of a tea snob, although i do enjoy a good cup of earl grey, green (sencha is good, matcha is great), jasmine, certain chais.

I also enjoy herbal "teas" like mint, ginseng, and solomon's seal. I've taken different types of Asian (mostly Chinese and Korean) herbal remedies, also (which sometimes can taste pretty nasty). Never understood chamomile, though. Yuck.

Tea bags are fine, loose teas preferred, blooming teas for the sheer cool factor
Old Sep 30, 2013, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
What I don't understand is why tea bags taste so poor in the USA. My local store sells both PG Tips (in the specialty section!) and Taylors of Harrogate: both claim to be imported from the UK but both do not taste right at all.
Try using a bottled mineral water - something more like Volvic rather than the 'softer' Evian (not so good for tea)
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:09 pm

Anyone had teh tarik or "pulled tea" here? I would really like to try it! I heard its similar to Hong Kong style Milk tea which I like!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.