FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Tea? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1501773-tea.html)

gfunkdave Sep 10, 2013 8:27 am

Tea?

Who likes tea? I'm ordinarily a coffee drinker but every time I drink tea I wonder why I don't do so more often.

What's your favorite type? I love Earl Grey - Peet's Earl Grey is my favorite. I'm drinking PG Tips now, which is really good. It reminds me of the tea I have had in the UK. I hear Barry's is really good too.

Gamecock Sep 10, 2013 8:33 am

Not I.

Sometimes though I wonder if I'm missing something by not drinking tea.

stut Sep 10, 2013 9:03 am

I love tea - in most forms, whether "builder's", a nice mug of Lapsang Souchong (it's like having your own personal bonfire) or one of those pots of Gunpowder Green that gives you a buzz you're not entirely sure is legal. Boiled-up Indian chai (none of your chemically imitations) is great, as is the elusive, cardamom-infused Pakistani green tea that is similarly ubiquitous in its home country.

But I also love coffee.

What's gutting, however, is having caffeine as a migraine trigger...

BuildingMyBento Sep 10, 2013 9:23 am

I think tea (only unsweetened) in general is great, and just like many other foods/beverages, don't need/want all sorts of flavors or adjectives added.

Granted, the US isn't known for its tea drinkers (save for the sweet tea in the Southeast), at the same time there are heaps of sweetened varieties available. Gross. Finding mostly (or sometimes only) sweetened drinks isn't limited to my home country, and that's another area where Japan got it right. What's de rigueur over there is enjoying the standard issue earthiness without "added anything," except maybe for Vitamin C.

When I was living in Indonesia and China, I drank tea everyday at restaurants, because A)it was good and 2)the water was boiled. Some Lanzhou lamian holes-in-the-wall in China would throw in random twigs and berries into the mix, which was...suspect, but welcomed. For Indonesia, ask for "teh tawar hangat" and you'll be good to go.

VivoPerLei Sep 10, 2013 9:25 am

Tea?

Fortnum and Mason's Earl Grey

Flyiboy Sep 10, 2013 9:29 am

Tea?

For me.. Any Black tea is great. Instead of sugar..add a dusting of cinnamon . Great taste

Sweet Willie Sep 10, 2013 9:31 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 21419592)
Who likes tea?

does this include ice tea? If so I drink at least 3 glasses a day (unsweetened).

If not, the pleasure of drinking hot liquids is lost on me, never been a fan, not even hot chocolate, as a kid I'd make sure to put some ice cubes in it to cool it down.

The above said, I have enjoyed warm tea on occasion (especially in Istanbul) and like you wondered why I don't enjoy it more often, it couldn't be easier to make seeing as we have a hot water dispenser in the house.

uk1 Sep 10, 2013 9:35 am

Twining is based in our town. Twining Everyday Tea is what the Twining tea tasters drink as their everyday tea of choice, and is also our every day tea choice. When away, the closest is Twining English Breakfast.

gfunkdave Sep 10, 2013 10:43 am

I like Twining too. They were my favorite (excuse me, favourite) before I knew about Peet's.

I never drink black tea with sugar...just with a little milk. I only drink green tea in Chinese restaurants.

Iced tea is delicious, of course, but requires a little sugar.

Let's all remember George Orwell's delightful essay, A Nice Cup of Tea.

emma69 Sep 10, 2013 11:35 am

I am similar - I love a good cup of tea, but for some reason rarely actually bothering to make one. But when I do, I will often end up making 2 or 3 cups in the space of an hour!

I drink PG Tips or Yorkshire Gold as my every day teas, strong, tiny dash of milk, no sugar. I also like Earl Grey, again, dash of milk, no sugar. I have about a bazillion other teas in my cupboard, only a slight exaggeration! I rather like a British brand, whose name eludes me, herbal teas, they do a sleep one, a detox one, and a love one, all of which are delicious just as they are.

ysolde Sep 10, 2013 11:45 am

I love tea. A nice jasmine or rose, a simple Earl Grey, a spicy chai. In the evenings, a chamomile or lavender/chamomile (blue and yellow) infusion.

A nice afternoon tea on a Saturday, with some sandwiches and petit fours, and I am a happy camper.

obscure2k Sep 10, 2013 11:59 am

I drink a pot of tea every morning. I like Taylor's of Harrogate English breakfast tea. I drink the tea black. When I am out during the day I drink iced tea. As long as it is not being served in an ice filled pitcher, I am happy. Surprising how many restaurants serve iced tea that way. Makes for very diluted tea. Only tea I dislike is the smokey flavored ones.

1000k00 Sep 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Tea

Rooibos is my favorite by far!

BuildingMyBento Sep 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie (Post 21419983)
does this include ice tea? If so I drink at least 3 glasses a day (unsweetened).

If not, the pleasure of drinking hot liquids is lost on me, never been a fan, not even hot chocolate, as a kid I'd make sure to put some ice cubes in it to cool it down.

The above said, I have enjoyed warm tea on occasion (especially in Istanbul) and like you wondered why I don't enjoy it more often, it couldn't be easier to make seeing as we have a hot water dispenser in the house.

I used to be that way, only wanting cold tea and other drinks. Then, while teaching English in China, everyday someone would come around to teachers desks' and place warm yoghurt and every now and then, a lukewarm cup of water on the table. The A/C was never on cool. The inside of the airplane was never cool. Iced tea in a restaurant was a more foreign concept than well, a foreigner asking for iced tea.

So I adapted. But back in the US, it's all about the ice.

LabCat Sep 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Love love love tea. I can be rather obsessed and have been called a tea snob more than once. I have an entire cabinet in my kitchen dedicated to teas.

I am more of a purist in that I tend to like my teas without added flavors (fruit, flowers, essences), although there are exceptions. A good jasmine green tea, for example. And I can't get enough of a highly spiced black tea from a wonderful tea shop in, of all places, Des Moines.

My favorite teas right now are a puerh toucha and a remarkably smooth oolong called High Mountain Artisanal.

Are there any Lapsong Souchong fans out there?