Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
This post over on TPG's blog is very interesting. Before you start coming after me for linking to an anonymous post on a blog, keep in mind that Cellisttoo (a well-respected FTer who hasn't been around much) posted during the T-72 debacle that she'd been part of a focus group and signed an NDA, but was willing to say that what was discussed were some very, very drastic changes that would drive her away from SkyMiles. The writing is on the wall here: FBATR is in DL's plans and is going to be very bad for anyone who wants something other than a domestic Y round trip.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL GM
I'm one of those FT'ers who would be a big time loser under the revenue based system - a frequent leisure traveler who books most travel well in advance and flies almost 100% on DL because I have been able to maintain FO status for the past several years. Many of those fares have been LUT, but I will pay more than the lowest fare on another airline to fly DL when necessary in order to get the MQMs and keep status.

As I see it, with a move to revenue-based DL would be telling me to go away, they don't need or want my business anymore. Now that is certainly their business judgement to make, that folks like myself do not generate enough revenue to be worth keeping as customers. I would probably just not travel as often anymore, and when I do travel book with whichever airline is cheapest. We seem to be rapidly moving toward a system where things like a decent seat and early boarding can be bought a la carte for individual bookings (even with no status on that airline) anyway.

Very discouraging - I was on track to make GM this year for the first time in a while. Typical DL to spring this mid-year when folks are already too deep into the year with their bookings to easily jump ship. I already have 6 leisure trips booked on DL out to August, all of those miles will be going down the drain...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
On to page 69!
Anyone else just waiting for someone at DL to say something?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:31 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Originally Posted by chrisj85
I'm one of those FT'ers who would be a big time loser under the revenue based system - a frequent leisure traveler who books most travel well in advance and flies almost 100% on DL because I have been able to maintain FO status for the past several years. Many of those fares have been LUT, but I will pay more than the lowest fare on another airline to fly DL when necessary in order to get the MQMs and keep status.

As I see it, with a move to revenue-based DL would be telling me to go away, they don't need or want my business anymore. Now that is certainly their business judgement to make, that folks like myself do not generate enough revenue to be worth keeping as customers. I would probably just not travel as often anymore, and when I do travel book with whichever airline is cheapest. We seem to be rapidly moving toward a system where things like a decent seat and early boarding can be bought a la carte for individual bookings (even with no status on that airline) anyway.

Very discouraging - I was on track to make GM this year for the first time in a while. Typical DL to spring this mid-year when folks are already too deep into the year with their bookings to easily jump ship. I already have 6 leisure trips booked on DL out to August, all of those miles will be going down the drain...
You can use alaska airlines or Fb instead for those miles
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:20 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
You can use alaska airlines or Fb instead for those miles
I should have said all those MQMs down the drain. I don't really care so much about base SMs as I need to fly paid tickets anyway to keep status, but I do care about the remaining perks that FOs have managed to hang on to. Now all those trips in 2012 are sunk into DL MQMs which may soon become worthless to me, instead of going toward earning status on another airline.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 3:37 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
After selling mqm's i think this move should be illegal .I mean what about those poor people who bought mqm's
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by mtkeller
This post over on TPG's blog is very interesting. Before you start coming after me for linking to an anonymous post on a blog, keep in mind that Cellisttoo (a well-respected FTer who hasn't been around much) posted during the T-72 debacle that she'd been part of a focus group and signed an NDA, but was willing to say that what was discussed were some very, very drastic changes that would drive her away from SkyMiles. The writing is on the wall here: FBATR is in DL's plans and is going to be very bad for anyone who wants something other than a domestic Y round trip.
The poll at the bottom of the original post tells the story I'm afraid. With such a substantial lopsided vote with a pretty solid focus group surely DL won't be that blindsided when the mass exodus occurs Q4, 2012.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
what (good) options exist for tranferring miles from DL to other loyalty programs - hotels, etc or hotels then to other airlines?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
When you say elites, at the time, I am assuming you mean PM & DM because GM was only considered ST elite last year am I right?

Never the less, if you include all the FO & GM with the elites (PM & DM), I won't be surprised to see 10 million people or somewhere close to that figure.
No, I am defining elites the traditional way: FO, GM, PM, and DM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Many medallions consider the ability to use 100k mile for an anuual trip in BusinessElite to Europe/Asia with their significant other somewhat sacred and something they can count on each year with their miles.

My question is if Delta moves to this revenue based system making such awards impossible for the majority of medallions (or much harder to find if thats possible), will they really be able to fill the BE cabin with other passengers since there would be so many empty seats that normally would have been filled with award tickets?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
I admit to being far less savy than many on here and perhaps even ignorant to the real economics of an airline loyaly program but it seems that even under the current difficult redemption scheme for int'l biz flights that Delta does derive some benefit from filling a seat that wouls likely have otherwise been empty or filled by an employee with a "paying" passenger. Some revenue can be booked from the miles used (i think) and you've presumably made a loyal customer happy. If DL converts to a dollar based redemtpion strategy whereby the current 200k int'l biz seat become based on fare and increases by double, then wouldn't more seats just sit empty since there are probably few members with 400k plus miles to use? it would seem difficult to book revenue for an empty seat, even under the most creative of accounting. When I fly to Dulblin for instance, and I do so a few times a year, both DL and United's (CO's) Biz class are filled with employees or mileage travellers (anecdotal on the latter through conversations). I suppose this could be a bonanza for employee travel...

this would also seem to evisorate the AMEX tie-in. Membership Rewards points for instance would be far more valuable elsewhere unless massive promotions are employed to compel folks to xfer to Delta.

just some random thoughts..
Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
This is absolutley NOT "Black Helicopter" stuff. Many of us have left or are leaving because of some of the things that were discussed at that Focus Group (I was not there but I have had conversation with some who were...NDA and all...Nuff said). I think the final form factor and details are still being hashed out but there are major changes coming and once again we will not find out until it is done. THAT is why I am flying (happily) with UA now. BTW, anyone who thinks E fares are going to earn MQM/RDM like other fares is mistaken. Baby steps....it is coming.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
There are some good links at the bottom of TPG's page:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mjontr...elta-skymiles/

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...flyer-program/

http://fieldofburch.com/2012/03/25/d...unate-changes/

The message is spreading.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
I mean what about those poor people who bought mqm's?
"Historically, we have seemed to be singularly focused on selling airline tickets, and forgetting that we can sell customers other things," said Glen Hauenstein, Delta's executive vice president of revenue management, marketing and network planning. "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Anyone have any thoughts about how the AMEX SM earnings will be calculated?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.