Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
OK, it's now 8 days since my bag disappeared without a trace. Delta employees who suggested that it was stolen are probably right. We made a list of everything that was in the bag, and the replacement cost for all the items (mostly baby stuff, which can be surprisingly expensive) is $863.56. I sent Delta a pdf with links to all the current prices, mostly on Amazon. I hope they don't demand receipts. First of all, some of the items were gifts, for which we certainly don't have receipts. And who keeps receipts for things like baby clothes, sippy cups and a Baby Einstein piano?

Anyway, it's all submitted. Now I'll wait and see what Delta does.

Bruce
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by bdschobel
OK, it's now 8 days since my bag disappeared without a trace. Delta employees who suggested that it was stolen are probably right. We made a list of everything that was in the bag, and the replacement cost for all the items (mostly baby stuff, which can be surprisingly expensive) is $863.56. I sent Delta a pdf with links to all the current prices, mostly on Amazon. I hope they don't demand receipts. First of all, some of the items were gifts, for which we certainly don't have receipts. And who keeps receipts for things like baby clothes, sippy cups and a Baby Einstein piano?

Bruce
$863 seems really low. Our bag alone had a $400 replacement cost. I firmly believe that the nothing motivates Delta more than having to pay out $$.

FYI -- You can claim this through your insurance as well -- they will at the very least make up for any difference between the replacement value and what Delta decides to pay you.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Very good thought!!!

Bruce
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel

Delta sent us a check for $883.56! Not sure what the extra $20 was for, but I'm not complaining. I wish that my bag had not been stolen (probably by a TSA employee with a baby), but Delta did everything right after the fact. ^^^

Bruce
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:37 am

38 Euros - this is KLM's compensation offer...

So, we were flying WAW-CDG-ORD on AF/DL in December. In ORD it turned out that there is a bunch of people whose luggage did not arrive. DL staff said something like "they did not load a container in CDG, you will get your bag tomorrow". Oh, well... About a week later they informed us that the bag might be lost, but they are still looking for it (yeah, right!).

Anyway, we submitted all the paperwork online as Delta instructed. Then in January we got a letter from KLM Baggage claim Centre asking to resubmit all the stuff to them (Paris office). More wasted time doing the paperwork, fine... Now yesterday we got their offer - and, yes, the initial one was 38 Euros (the bag's weight was about 20 pounds if I recall correctly). I wrote an angry email to them and we got a follow-up offer of additional 218 Euros. What really pissed me off is that the wrote that this is a "goodwill gesture". Our very conservative estimate of the bag's value is closer to 400 Euros (we submitted the list of contents of the bag and did everything else Delta instructed).

The question is - should we keep wasting our time with them? It also seems to me that they (the AF/KL in Paris) might not even have access to the documents I submitted via the DL website.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Lost luggage compensation

I booked a J award ticket using my DL miles on a SEA-JFK-JED-HYD routing with the JFK-JED-HYD on SV. Two bags were checked in SEA all the way to HYD but only one made it through and it has been more than 5 days and the bag hasn't been found yet. DL says they handed the bag to SV in JFK and it should be SV that should compensate if the bag is lost. The passenger traveled does not have any status with either DL or SV. SV website and their representative in HYD says they are still looking for the bag and nothing has been found. But overall SV here in US hasn't been responsive and their website does not provide much information either on the policies. At what stage do we file for compensation and what sort of compensation is the norm?

Sorry if this belongs in a different forum but I assumed I might get more responses here and there is a DL component to it as well.

Thanks
Ik.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ikonos
what sort of compensation is the norm?
You might Google "Warsaw Convention."
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You interlined luggage and it is SV as the "final" carrier which will handle compensation if any and then sort it out with DL (and not involving OP).

Compensation, if any, will be governed by the Warsaw Convention and is detailed in the COC.

Best approach is to deal with your travel/lost luggage insurance and let them sort it.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
Passenger is my family member and did not take any insurance. The award taxes were paid with my Amex Business card and am not sure if that provides any baggage insurance since I am not the passenger on the ticket.

I googled Lost luggage and it appears these situations are dealt with according to the "Montreal Convention" which says compensation is limited to approximately $1750 or so if the claim is filed outside of US but will fluctuate depending on the exchange rates etc. However the ticket was issued by DL and it probably will have DL COC info and not SV COC info. Will airlines have their own limits?

Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The last carrier in the ensemble is responsible for the bags regardless of where the mishap occurred. So you will need to deal with SV as Delta will pawn it on them regardless. I do not know much more than that as I have been fortunate in to only have delayed baggage.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ikonos
Passenger is my family member and did not take any insurance. The award taxes were paid with my Amex Business card and am not sure if that provides any baggage insurance since I am not the passenger on the ticket.

I googled Lost luggage and it appears these situations are dealt with according to the "Montreal Convention" which says compensation is limited to approximately $1750 or so if the claim is filed outside of US but will fluctuate depending on the exchange rates etc. However the ticket was issued by DL and it probably will have DL COC info and not SV COC info. Will airlines have their own limits?

Thanks
To repeat. Your relative elected to interline his luggage. It is SV to whom he must turn for compensation. As to insurance, a lesson learned.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
"Lost" Luggage Compensation and Question on Service

Collectively Air France & Delta together (since i flew on both there planes) lost my luggage (2 pieces) and I am on day 3 of a 5 day trip without my luggage. Both Delta and Air France have offered little to no help except to tell me it could be in a multitude of cities, or that I lied and never checked in anything at all in ATL. My question is how much should I expect DL or AF to give me back for toiletries, and clothing I needed on this trip since I was left with nothing? Also what they offer/will compensate me for is that per bag or a totality for the trip? I have been getting conflicting answers and figured somebody out here has had experience with this from DL, AF, or both.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:17 am
Suspended

Additionally do they by chance up the compensation for medallions or is it a firm number across everyone?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Last carrier is responsible. Doesn't matter if you flew 2 or 5 different airline and they lost 1 or 100 bags. Buy clothes, toiletries, etc. everyday. Keep receipts.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 3:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 122554
Buy clothes, toiletries, etc. everyday. Keep receipts.
I have been keeping receipts, but I was wondering if there is a max they are willing to pay out, or if its determined on a case by case? What is the average usually they are willing to pay out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.