Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by gigabyte056
Arriving to JFK from TLV 05:15 departure to SFO at 07:00.
Holding a UK passport with ESTA.

Will I be ok and do I need to change terminals?
TLV will arrive at T4. SFO usually departs from T4, usually from the gates in the middle of the B concourse near the SkyClub. However, flights do swap terminals occasionally, so it's not impossible that SFO will leave from T2 -- be sure to check the departure board after you clear immigration.

(If T2, you have the option of clearing security in T4 then taking a bus, or taking the All Terminals AirTrain one stop and walking a bit to clear security in T2. Both take similar amounts of time if security is not too bad.)
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Checking this for a friend... US pp holder. I am GE and haven't cleared regular PP/CBP in years so wouldn't know how long are wait times.

Inbound arrival time: 7:05pm (from AMS)
Carrier: Aer Lingus

Outbound time: 9pm
Carrier: Sun Country

Assuming no checked bags... does this seem fairly doable or cutting it close? This is last flight by SY to final destination. MCT is 1h45min. If the inbound is on time, he clears MCT. How about recent experiences at JFK?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Checking this for a friend... US pp holder. I am GE and haven't cleared regular PP/CBP in years so wouldn't know how long are wait times.

Assuming no checked bags... does this seem fairly doable or cutting it close? This is last flight by SY to final destination. MCT is 1h45min. If the inbound is on time, he clears MCT. How about recent experiences at JFK?
They'll arrive at T5, need to clear, and make it over to T4. T5 is primarily JetBlue. Since this is the DL forum, I doubt many of us have much experience at T5.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:53 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by carsnoceans

Might find better luck elsewhere since this is the DL forum but one note...Aer Lingus doesn't fly nonstop to JFK from AMS but assuming it's a flight connecting through Ireland, it may be precleared and arrive at JFK as a domestic flight. Worth some more investigation on the Aer Lingus board or website. If this is two separate tickets this is fairly risky regardless though, a decent Aer Lingus delay and the second flight could be missed.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by bgriff
Might find better luck elsewhere since this is the DL forum but one note...Aer Lingus doesn't fly nonstop to JFK from AMS but assuming it's a flight connecting through Ireland, it may be precleared and arrive at JFK as a domestic flight. Worth some more investigation on the Aer Lingus board or website. If this is two separate tickets this is fairly risky regardless though, a decent Aer Lingus delay and the second flight could be missed.
Duh! I posted without looking at DL section.

But thanks for your comments.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:47 am

US citizen, no global entry.
If I come by Air France 6, business class, landing JFK at 4:20 PM, what is a safe connecting time to book a domestic flight if it is by
(a) Delta,
(b) Jet Blue,
(c) American?
The domestic flight will be on a separate ticket.
Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by raghu
If I come by Air France 6, business class, landing JFK at 4:20 PM, what is a safe connecting time to book a domestic flight if it is by
(a) Delta,
(b) Jet Blue,
(c) American?
Thanks.
A) I would allow at least two hours. Also I would pick this option because DL will work with you if you're late coming in from an AF flight even on a separate ticket. Also you should be able to have the checkin agent at departure add a DL flight number to your bag tag. This means you can drop it at bag re-check in T1 instead of lugging it with you to T2/T4.

B/C)I would not pick these options. If you just have to do them, I wouldn't do it with anything less then 4 hours. The terminals are further away, and unlike DL, neither B6 nor AA will doing anything (unless you get a generous agent) if you arrive late into JFK on AF.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by raghu
(a) Delta,
(b) Jet Blue,
(c) American?
I agree with the recommendation for (A) as the safest option, but keep in mind AF6 is often late (about ~30 minutes IME), and if you're checking a bag it takes a good 20-30 minutes for bags to show up off the A380.

T1 has kiosks and mobile passport for US (+etc), so immigration shouldn't be too terrible even without GE.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta FO, UA, AA
JFK Term 1 to 3 time

We are on award ticket MXP-JFK on Oct 26 in J. We had to get a separate award ticket JFK- PHX as J wasn't available. Arrive at 1 at 1610 leave 3 at 1830. Different carriers so told by both Alitalia and DL will have to clear immigrations, claim bags and clear customs, then leave secure area and go to 3, check in for our flight and bags, clear security and get to gate. No later flights available. We are Global Entry.
Can we make it? Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Terminal 3 Doesn't exist anymore. Your flight from JFK-PHX will leave from either Terminal 2 or Terminal 4.

You're not going to have a lot of time to screw around, but outside of a historically heinous customs or security line going back into 2/4, you should be okay.

With all of that said.....since you have two separate itineraries, you should know that by policy if you miss that JFK-PHX flight it's the equivalent to DL as if you got stuck in traffic on the way to the airport. I've done what you're doing as well, but just know that risk is out there.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ltcrkm
We are on award ticket MXP-JFK on Oct 26 in J. We had to get a separate award ticket JFK- PHX as J wasn't available. Arrive at 1 at 1610 leave 3 at 1830. Different carriers so told by both Alitalia and DL will have to clear immigrations, claim bags and clear customs, then leave secure area and go to 3, check in for our flight and bags, clear security and get to gate. No later flights available. We are Global Entry.
Can we make it? Thanks
There is no Term 3 at JFK. Not at least for nearly 2-3 years. DL uses T2 and T4.

Regardless with GE this is an easy transfer. If your DL is out of T2 then just turn right and walk to T2, there next to each other. T4 go the the Air train in T1 and take it to T4. If you can get the checkin agent in MXP to tag your luggage all the way. Theyll need the DL confirmation code but AZ shoulf be able to do it. There should be a bag drop at T1, no need to lug baggage.

No need to checkin unless you didn't get a connecting BP at first airport. Just go through security and get to your flight. If they tag you bags through they may be able to issue the BP.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ltcrkm
Different carriers so told by both Alitalia and DL will have to clear immigrations, claim bags and clear customs, then leave secure area and go to 3, check in for our flight and bags, clear security and get to gate.
You may be conflating several issues. Since JFK is your U.S. arrival point you need to claim bags and clear Customs, anyway. That would be true even if you were staying on the same carrier.

Alitalia and Delta do interline bags. They can interline bags even on separate tickets. It's worth asking when you check in with Alitalia. You still collect bags/see Customs at JFK, then drop bags at a recheck station instead of dragging them over to Delta check-in.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:28 am

It is risky with only 2:20 between flights. If everything goes smoothly you shouldn't have an issue, but Murphy's law. I had a similar situation last year (but on the same ticket), arrived in T1 on a delayed flight with just over an hour between flights. By the time I cleared customs, dropped my bag at the recheck in T1, and went to T2, cleared security again and caught the DL bus to T4 (I was told by multiple people this was the fastest option), DL was holding my flight for me. My luggage arrived the next day. Luggage transfers can be a bit slow between terminals - if there is anything need in your luggage or don't want to sit overnight carry on.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
What is the minimum connecting time at JFK for an Alitalia international arrival to a Delta domestic departure? If it's more than 2 hours, 20 minutes, I think that Alitalia will be reluctant to through-check the bags.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:49 am

Should be OK. With GE you should be at baggage within 5-10 minutes - with another 15-20 for the luggage to come out (though it can be 30 or more). Transfer to T4 should be 10 minutes - which leave you with sufficient time. I would have a back-up plan though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.