Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:42 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rrz518
On a flight this week from ATL to ORF, I was pleased to see that they filled all of the available FC seats (about 8 of them) with military guys...
Delta is a private company and they can do as they please, concerning this issue. It's not up to me to applaud or criticize.
Anyway, I hope there weren't other higher priority medallions on those flights, who had to sit in the back.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:18 am

Programs: UA, HHonors Gold
??

Originally Posted by thesaints
Delta is a private company and they can do as they please, concerning this issue. It's not up to me to applaud or criticize.
Anyway, I hope there weren't other higher priority medallions on those flights, who had to sit in the back.

Yeah heaven forbid that higher medallion members have to sit in the back, because of course, they are the back bone of delta. I am happy to see Delta accoomadate the guys.

Rex
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Folks, every time one of these threads appears, it turns into a political debate and spirals downhill in a short period of time. Therefore I am closing this thread.

Rssrsvp - Moderator
Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:18 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
New(?) feature of DL's recognition of military personnel

Okay, I'm aware that a thread related to this subject just got closed for excessive omnification. So please understand that this is offered for the sake of what I believe is new information (forgive me if I've missed its posting elsewhere), and not as a troll for yet another exercise in political snarking.

We've read/seen that some (and some of us) give up first class seats for uniformed soldiers, and that some pilots and FAs recognize them on board. I believe I read on one thread that an FA had made non-military passengers wait for the military folks to disembark first.

This is what, as far as I'm aware is new: I'm currently sitting in Terminal A at Boston where a plane just unloaded, and the uniformed folks came off first. But more than just unloading first, the FAs in the terminal came to the door and formed up on either side and applauded as they came into the terminal. Waiting passengers in the terminal saw what was happening and joined in (not all did, but most did, and some stood as they passed), so there was a corridor of applause all the way down the concourse.

Is it possible to comment on this without turning it into an Omni discusion? Perhaps not. If that's the case, I'm okay with closing the thread. But I thought those who feel strongly on either side of the issue might appreciate the information.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Ah yes, another beaten horse that refuses to die.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 4:55 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
Okay, I'm aware that a thread related to this subject just got closed for excessive omnification. So please understand that this is offered for the sake of what I believe is new information (forgive me if I've missed its posting elsewhere), and not as a troll for yet another exercise in political snarking.

We've read/seen that some (and some of us) give up first class seats for uniformed soldiers, and that some pilots and FAs recognize them on board. I believe I read on one thread that an FA had made non-military passengers wait for the military folks to disembark first.
That thread was AA. Has AArrogance spread to Delta?

This is what, as far as I'm aware is new: I'm currently sitting in Terminal A at Boston where a plane just unloaded, and the uniformed folks came off first. But more than just unloading first, the FAs in the terminal came to the door and formed up on either side and applauded as they came into the terminal. Waiting passengers in the terminal saw what was happening and joined in (not all did, but most did, and some stood as they passed), so there was a corridor of applause all the way down the concourse.

Is it possible to comment on this without turning it into an Omni discusion? Perhaps not. If that's the case, I'm okay with closing the thread. But I thought those who feel strongly on either side of the issue might appreciate the information.
I don't see any new policies here, just another story of some flight attendants (unfortunately having now infected Delta) who have forgotten that they are in a private business, not a branch of the Army.

Last edited by JS; Aug 23, 2005 at 4:59 pm
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by JS
That thread was AA. Has AArrogance spread to Delta?

I don't see any new policies here, just another story of some flight attendants (unfortunately having now infected Delta) who have forgotten that they are in a private business, not a branch of the Army.
I've seen one post that states that the military is just a job, and that as such, these "employees" deserve no special recognition, especially as it relates to our precious FC seats.

Well, I don't know of any "jobs" that put the "employees" life in such a direct, hostile manner (police and firemen forgive me). Secondly, I know of no "jobs" that our very existence as a free society, and perhaps as a species, is so reliant upon.

We are at war, and those that are fighting us will settle for nothing less that total defeat and destruction of our society, way of life, and freedom. These "employees" are putting their lives, sadly, between the bad guys and us. Isn't that worth the mention being offered them by a FC upgrade???
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:51 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by rrz518
I've seen one post that states that the military is just a job, and that as such, these "employees" deserve no special recognition, especially as it relates to our precious FC seats.

Well, I don't know of any "jobs" that put the "employees" life in such a direct, hostile manner (police and firemen forgive me). Secondly, I know of no "jobs" that our very existence as a free society, and perhaps as a species, is so reliant upon.

We are at war, and those that are fighting us will settle for nothing less that total defeat and destruction of our society, way of life, and freedom. These "employees" are putting their lives, sadly, between the bad guys and us. Isn't that worth the mention being offered them by a FC upgrade???
I'm still puzzled as to how defending Iraq from Iraqi insurgents ==> continued freedom in America. It makes no sense! You know there are plenty of dictators left in this world. Shall we invade all of them?

Bush lied when he said that he was going into Iraq to get Saddam's WMD. Bush has come up with excuse after excuse as to why we are still there.

Commend the military coming off a plane all you want. But don't try to tell me that their presence is the reason we still have the 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment, etc.

In fact, our rights are in MORE danger now with Bush and his wet dreams over expanding the Patriot Act ... how's that for ironic? Yeah, let's invade Iraq and free the Iraqi people from evil bad man Saddam Hussein while simultaneously crafting black lists of political opponents to be hassled by the TSA and other elements of the DHS.

Wake up, people!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
Is it possible to comment on this without turning it into an Omni discusion? Perhaps not.
Yup, not looking too good.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Why are some people here so angry?

JS, will you also excoriate former president Clinton for the soldiers in Bosnia,(who are still there by the way) or are we being politically selective in our outrage? President Clinton promised the nation on national television that they would be home in 1 year.

The election is over. Get over it.

The military personnel have nothing to do with the politics, they just go where their commander tells them and risk their lives on our nation's behalf.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA, HHonors Gold
Wow

I guess they are right to their opinion and as much as it drives me nuts about bashing me and my fellow Servicemen and Woman who have actually been to Iraq and other conflicts that I just hope they realize that we provided these critics the right to speak and live however they desire. I guess my mission in life now is to make sure that I give up my FC seat to a servicemember and hopefully he will sit next to the people on this board who have no respect for them and be miserable for hopefully a long flight. Better yet I hope these critics get stuck next to screaming kids for the rest of their business travelling days.

Rex
US Navy

ready for this topic to get closed.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 6:41 pm

Programs: NWA/DL
I applaud the effort to appreciate our servicemen! My brother is currently serving our country overseas. They are both cheered and jeered while abroad, so regardless of political agenda, applaud and appreciate our soldiers when they are home. They give their lives (and no I am not talking about physical life, although we have lost many) to their country! If you do not support our president, that's your choice. But if you don't support our service men and women...get out!
Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I swore that I would not post on DL until UCS returns..but..

Originally Posted by JS
I'm still puzzled as to how defending Iraq from Iraqi insurgents ==> continued freedom in America. It makes no sense! You know there are plenty of dictators left in this world. Shall we invade all of them?

Bush lied when he said that he was going into Iraq to get Saddam's WMD. Bush has come up with excuse after excuse as to why we are still there.

Commend the military coming off a plane all you want. But don't try to tell me that their presence is the reason we still have the 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment, etc.

In fact, our rights are in MORE danger now with Bush and his wet dreams over expanding the Patriot Act ... how's that for ironic? Yeah, let's invade Iraq and free the Iraqi people from evil bad man Saddam Hussein while simultaneously crafting black lists of political opponents to be hassled by the TSA and other elements of the DHS.

Wake up, people!
Wake up MY ...!!!!!

Where the Hell you you get off spouting off like this??

These kids are not the problem (or perceived problem in your grotesque little mind!!)

They are doing a thankless job in a Hellhole. Do you think that they want to be there, away from their jobs and loved ones?...

And you are spitting on them just like you probably did during the Viet Nam War.

I have proudly given up my seat to these kids coming home from Hell. I have bought numerous rounds of drinks for them also. Regardless of my political views, I am proud of each and every one of these heros!!!

Screw your politics...take that out on the politicians...

Not the men and women who are only doing their jobs.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Um, yeah, looks like this thread needs to be locked and lost ... er, moved to OMNI.

As a business, I'm sure that Delta has taken official actions to recognize and support our government and our soldiers. I'm not sure that it's appropriate for individual staff members to make public displays of recognition when acting on the company's behalf, unless coordinated and directed by the company.

As to individual customers, I don't see a problem with a person giving up a First Class seat to another passenger, for whatever reason. For example, one time I was flying from ATL to DAB, and an elderly woman tripped and fell in the boarding doorway. She was very distraught - crying, etc. I was in 2B and had a good view of the entire scene. First Class was full. As the FA was walking through the cabin, I called her over and told her quietly that, if the woman was cleared to travel, I'd be glad to let her have my seat. The FA was surprised at my offer and asked me if I was sure. I replied that I was. The woman was eventually cleared to travel and I gathered my belongings and quietly made my way back (thankfully, she had an aisle seat ). Anyway, we all have our own motivations and good intents behind our actions, and I don't have a problem with people doing them. What I do find annoying are those people who publicly boast about their "good behavior" and/or who exhort others to exhibit the same good behavior. If I give up my First Class seat, it's because I CHOSE to do so, for my OWN reasons. Not because some pompous windbag, excessively full of themselves told me, or tried to imply, that it is my DUTY (as a good American, as a devout pagan, or what have you) to do so!

As for our service men and women - I respect and appreciate the job they do for our country. It's a job I seriously doubt I would be able to execute well. As for our political leadership - well, we've had good political leaders and poor political leaders yet, as I look around the world, I don't really see any better alternatives. Although the chant of "four more years" from before the election has become my personal inspiration (with the four decrementing all the time )
Old Aug 23, 2005, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Wake up MY ...!!!!!

Where the Hell you you get off spouting off like this??

These kids are not the problem (or perceived problem in your grotesque little mind!!)

They are doing a thankless job in a Hellhole. Do you think that they want to be there, away from their jobs and loved ones?...

And you are spitting on them just like you probably did during the Viet Nam War.

I have proudly given up my seat to these kids coming home from Hell. I have bought numerous rounds of drinks for them also. Regardless of my political views, I am proud of each and every one of these heros!!!

Screw your politics...take that out on the politicians...

Not the men and women who are only doing their jobs.
Um, I went and reread JS's post. I don't think, from reading the post, he was at all criticizing the members of the military. It appeared that all of his criticisms were directed at the current government.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.