Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL's new 75D interior. If this is the future, count me out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

Former DM, I only fly government-subsidized DL these days to maintain my Flying Blue status. Flew PIT-ATL-SNA yesterday. Crews on both flights were great and even the MD-88 seat from PIT was reasonably comfortable on a short 1 hour flight.

But for my connection, I had the misfortunate of getting the new configuration 75D for ATL-SNA. What a piece of crap this front cabin is. Did a double take turning left from 2L to see 3 rows of coach (EC) seats and then 5 rows of what I'll charitably call "First Class". Really uncomfortable seats with not much recline. After a couple of hours, the absence of much cushion and padding makes them really uncomfortable. Then there is the lack of a closet up front that puts the unfortunate dude in 1B right in the galley and the first few rows in the spotlight from upfront.

Great crew with open bar PDB and drink refills throughout the flight. But what's with meal service? Advertised as "Dinner", this was more like a lunch unless this is the new government-subsidized DL dinner standard. Choice of Cuban Sandwich or Shrimp/Orzo salad. For dinner?? Yeah Ed, it's all Qatar and Emirates' fault. Apparently earning $10 billion this year is not enough.

Not that AA or UA are much better although at least one gets more legroom and recline. Sadly, it's a race to the bottom in the US airline industry if you aren't flying transcon.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
On the bright side, each seat has a TV screen and the cabins look brand new. Delta's competitors have the same cramped, uncomfortable seats with no IFE and worn cabins.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Which flight were you on? 5pm or 810pm? If 810pm then meal is correct. It wasn't dinner, but rather a light meal/snack. Normally DL offers same meal for lunch or dinner on most routes. What you got doesn't look like a lunch or dinner meal.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The government pays for F tickets?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Austin787
Delta's competitors have the same cramped, uncomfortable seats with no IFE and worn cabins.
And you believe this because... the tooth fairy told you?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The government pays for F tickets?
No he's referring to a stupid article DL posted in its inflight mag going off on the ME3 airlines.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Which flight were you on? 5pm or 810pm? If 810pm then meal is correct. It wasn't dinner, but rather a light meal/snack. Normally DL offers same meal for lunch or dinner on most routes. What you got doesn't look like a lunch or dinner meal.
Thanks for the clarification flyerCO. It was the 8:10pm flight.
That'll teach me to believe anything on the DL app, although I should have believed the last line fine print.

Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
No he's referring to a stupid article DL posted in its inflight mag going off on the ME3 airlines.
Ah ok, I thought he was saying he was flying on a government rate ticket.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The 75D does have a crappy interior... basically the 757 got the 737-900 treatment. The new slimline/tight seats.
Only positive is the IFE and power outlets, but other than that its worse than the old 757 interior.
akcae, jdrtravel and jjmiller69 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Looks like they should be rebranding those flights as Delta None. My MSY/LAX lunch of last week was far superior to your "dinner."

Looks like there was a sale on this stuff:

Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Whatever it's called it's a pretty sorry looking sammich. I hope Mrs. SFO wasn't with you -- those of us who read your TRs know she would not be pleased.
sdadept, Hoyaheel and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:48 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Ok we count you out...see ya...Southwest offers 1 stop service from PIT to SNA...eliminates you having to flying on DL metal and connecting in ATL...win win for you.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I'm with SFO777 and think it's a shame what DL did to the 757's.
Very cramped up front.

Dinner or snack that is one sad looking snack for any airline.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SSF556
Ok we count you out...see ya...Southwest offers 1 stop service from PIT to SNA...eliminates you having to flying on DL metal and connecting in ATL...win win for you.
Apparently, you also have trouble reading. How does flying Southwest help me re-qualify for Flying Blue?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by SFO777
Apparently, you also have trouble reading. How does flying Southwest help me re-qualify for Flying Blue?
Oh, don't encourage the cheerleader.
hi55us likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.