Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL's new 75D interior. If this is the future, count me out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL's new 75D interior. If this is the future, count me out

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:49 am

It's kind of a messed up business for sure. "We're bringing in slimline seats to improve legroom" *adds 3 rows of seats*.

But let's face it, whenever anyone mentions the only resolution - government intervention - everyone gets a heart attack.
Renes Points, jdrtravel and hi55us like this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
It's kind of a messed up business for sure. "We're bringing in slimline seats to improve legroom" *adds 3 rows of seats*.

But let's face it, whenever anyone mentions the only resolution - government intervention - everyone gets a heart attack.
I already often pay higher fares in the form of FC to avoid Y. If government regulation means higher ticket prices, it's basically a wash for me.

A minimum of 31" of pitch (measured by regulators, NOT the airlines) is reasonable. DL and others were making significant profits before the 739s, AA's modded A319s/738s, and soon to be 737MAXs. Squeezing in an extra row or two per plane is just pure greed on the part of the airlines. I'm a supporter of the free market, but we wouldn't tolerate these sorts of practices if it were the electric or gas company. I've always thought the airlines to be closer to utilities anyway.
jdrtravel likes this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Sep 23, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by WWads
I ask you to name a single time that an A321 on a domestic run has been forced to make a fuel stop, at any time of year.

From a passenger comfort standpoint, the A321 wins hands down. Wider seats, wider cabin, quieter engines. No usable 2L door, but I'm willing to tolerate that.

The older 757 configurations were generally great, but now? It might as well be a 739.
The A320 series routinely makes fuel stops on the long transcons in winter. At one point there was a joke about jet blue making SLC a hub with all their transcons stopping for gas there in the winter. Delta plans on using 757's and 737-900's on the long winter transcons. The A321 will do more N/S flying. That is one of the reasons for the reduction in seats on JetBlue and Americans A321's dedicated to the long transcons. It was sold as customer service but they have to keep the weight down to make the flights nonstop with acceptable reliability.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
After a couple of hours, the absence of much cushion and padding makes them really uncomfortable.
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...pains-of-age#1

Originally Posted by SFO777
But for my connection, I had the misfortunate of getting the new configuration 75D for ATL-SNA. What a piece of crap this front cabin is.
Seeeee ya!
sdadept likes this.

Last edited by DataPlumber; Sep 23, 2017 at 8:38 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
money talks

(1) airlines need as much revenue as they can extract from as many butts as possible in as many seats as they can realistically squeeze into their planes

the mix of seats (fleet configurations), the distribution of the fleet around the route network, and the fares in the various inventories on the various flights all go into the Revenue Management number-crunching models

Delta apparently has some very sophisticated models, and Delta management is apparently very happy with the outputs of these models, because the fleet and fare schemes they have chosen to implement continue to keep their bottom line healthy

(2) any passenger with a strong negative opinion of any aspect of this implementation can make their displeasure known, either verbally by communicating with Delta or non-verbally by choosing to contribute to the revenue of another airline

whether Delta will do anything substantive in response to either form of communication is, as always, an open question

all that said, I'm usually a WFBF guy, but I'm in both camps wrt the new 757 configuration: as others have noted, F is only marginally better than the 739 (and that mainly because of boarding via the 2L door), but on the few occasions I book C+ reasonably far in advance, the mini-cabin is really nice
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767
airlines need as much revenue as they can extract
And there is the problem. Airlines don't "need" as much money as possible. Rather, they are publicly held companies who experience market pressure to operate this way. All the airline really "needs" is enough revenue to pay for it's operating expenses and invest in capital and future growth.
akcae likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Is the F cabin on this version of the 757 similar to the now retired DL 767 domestic F cabin? That's the worst domestic F I've ever experienced.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
OK, I get it now. The DL forum is actually the DL cheerleading forum.

Originally Posted by SSF556
Ok we count you out...see ya...
Originally Posted by Austin787
Try flying on Spirit Airlines - any aircraft. Let us know how any of those compares to Delta's 75D.
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
If you love AF/KL so much then hope over to Europe and take a bunch of short haul flights to collect your FlyingBlue miles. Seems simple to me.
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Seeeee ya!
You GS DL apologists embarrass yourselves by becoming all emotional like I just dissed your mommas, which I guess I have. But alas, your momma is not what she used to be. She's now a lot older and just got a cheap facelift... new paint job, IFE and power outlets. Basically, lipstick on a pig.

Originally Posted by Austin787
Delta's competitors have the same cramped, uncomfortable seats with no IFE and worn cabins.
Originally Posted by rylan
The 75D does have a crappy interior... basically the 757 got the 737-900 treatment. The new slimline/tight seats.
Originally Posted by apodo77
I'm with SFO777 and think it's a shame what DL did to the 757's. Very cramped up front.
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Originally Posted by jrl767
as others have noted, F is only marginally better than the 739 (and that mainly because of boarding via the 2L door)...
Just saying. I'll grab the popcorn now.
sdadept likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Sep 23, 2017 at 12:52 pm
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
I already often pay higher fares in the form of FC to avoid Y. If government regulation means higher ticket prices, it's basically a wash for me.

A minimum of 31" of pitch (measured by regulators, NOT the airlines) is reasonable. DL and others were making significant profits before the 739s, AA's modded A319s/738s, and soon to be 737MAXs. Squeezing in an extra row or two per plane is just pure greed on the part of the airlines. I'm a supporter of the free market, but we wouldn't tolerate these sorts of practices if it were the electric or gas company. I've always thought the airlines to be closer to utilities anyway.
Since most of my flying is for work, and we're required to book into Y barring some kind of medical waiver, I wouldn't at all mind seeing fares raised in exchange for larger seats, more amenities, and fewer fees. Unfortunately, the way thing work if airline A charges $1 more for a flight than airline B then most people will pick airline B. Short of government regulation, I don't ever see that changing and the race to the bottom will continue.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Grogs
Since most of my flying is for work, and we're required to book into Y barring some kind of medical waiver, I wouldn't at all mind seeing fares raised in exchange for larger seats, more amenities, and fewer fees. Unfortunately, the way thing work if airline A charges $1 more for a flight than airline B then most people will pick airline B. Short of government regulation, I don't ever see that changing and the race to the bottom will continue.
That's why I think regulation is necessary.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:52 pm

After I've spent several posts bashing it, looks like I have to fly on a 75D in a few months. How is 19F? It's an exit row with no seat in front. Is there a slide or something in the way?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I just don't understand why people come here to complain about Delta. If you had a bad experience, reach out to customer service. There's nothing any of us here can do to help you. We like Delta.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
After I've spent several posts bashing it, looks like I have to fly on a 75D in a few months. How is 19F? It's an exit row with no seat in front. Is there a slide or something in the way?
I'm pretty sure the slide protrudes more than a few inches into your leg space (where 18F would normally be)

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Is the F cabin on this version of the 757 similar to the now retired DL 767 domestic F cabin? That's the worst domestic F I've ever experienced.
no, it's basically the 739 F cabin ... 20 slimline seats, Row 1 pretty much crammed against the bulkhead ... with the mini C+ cabin (three rows on the left, two rows and a lav on the right) between the 2L door and Row 5 of F
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Never tried them, but as I understand it, 19A,F have the padding from the emergency exit sticking out and you have to put your legs at an angle. Seems to get reviews from not that bad to terrible on Seatguru.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Which flight were you on? 5pm or 810pm? If 810pm then meal is correct. It wasn't dinner, but rather a light meal/snack. Normally DL offers same meal for lunch or dinner on most routes. What you got doesn't look like a lunch or dinner meal.
Sadly that was lunch (and billed as lunch on the ticket) on my flight last week. Option of shrimp orzo or Cuban sandwich. I can concur the Cuban sandwich looks about as good as it tastes. Though that cookie was actually good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.