Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More 737-900's For Delta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Beckles
Reading Flyertalk you'd think that these planes must regularly crash on take-off due to lack of power, and then if they miraculously make it in the air, they regularly crash on landing.

I completely understand these birds are tight, but I honestly have never cared about how long it takes to get in the air (as long as it safely gets in the air) or about the landing (any landing you walk away from is a good landing), but I guess I'm just an easily pleased consumer like that.
I hate the 739's because of the way DL crams the seats in but otherwise I agree. I don't get why there are complaints about longer takeoff rolls, etc. or why they should matter that much to the average passenger, as the plane itself is by no means unsafe.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I just finished my first flight on a Delta 739. No complaints from me. It felt just like any other 737NG I've been on, just with bigger overheads and Sky Interior.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
But I can't help but laugh everytime I read about the lav problem. I've seen posts about people that refuse to fly the plane or will make extra connections in order to avoid it because of the lavatory size, which is unbelievable. I get in there and get my business done, no fooling around. I don't need or expect a 75 sq ft lavatory on a domestic plane.
Not arguing with the logic, but most port-o-lets are much more conducive to conducting business than the 739.

Originally Posted by SSF556
It is amazing how much time FT folks spend in the airplane lavs....
If pax didn't need restrooms airplanes wouldn't have them, and the 739 would have a couple more rows of seats.

Originally Posted by ehaase
Delta has 19 A321's and 63 more to come. Obviously Boeing gave Delta a great deal on 737-900's, as the plane (with 76 now and 54 more to come) will replace many MD88's, 757's, and domestic 767's.
Anything, and I mean anything, well except the CRJ200, to be rid of the 88. Last MX delay I had on an MD88 was partially due to a hole (yes a physical hole) that needed patching and was secondary to the original problem.

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
This is the only plane I know of that is Torture Class in every single row, from the first to the last row. Plus crummy landings and slow take-offs? Geez
Not counting the takeoffs and landings, IMO the CRJ200 is worse.

Originally Posted by pvn
Most people board a 739 and they're like "oh wow it's new and look it has screens"
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. #DLsMicDrop .
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
My wife...

However, in the case of the 739, I will have to hear about that bumpy landing or fast approach for at least 30 minutes post-flight.
I find it hard to believe the average passenger or even frequent flyer would notice a difference in approach speed. I had an ice landing this morning and have a video to prove it. Maybe our FO had the magic touch.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by tvtd
If pax didn't need restrooms airplanes wouldn't have them, and the 739 would have a couple more rows of seats.
** coffee on keyboard and monitor **

Anything, and I mean anything, well except the CRJ200, to be rid of the 88.
glad to know I'm not the only one who can't wait for those MadDogs to depart the fleet (I'm no great fan of their Long Beach siblings either, but that's waaaaay OT for this conversation)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What's so bad about the MD-80? You have very few chances of being stuck in a middle seat and it's a very quiet ride as long as you are not next to the engine. It's certainly the toughest aircraft in the fleet.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
What's so bad about the MD-80? You have very few chances of being stuck in a middle seat and it's a very quiet ride as long as you are not next to the engine. It's certainly the toughest aircraft in the fleet.
Agree. As long as you're not in the last 5 rows, it's remarkably quiet and comfortable.

I do get that the interiors are not as modern looking at the new 321s and 739s, but DL has done a solid job of making them seem fresh and updated.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by woodford02A
Agree. As long as you're not in the last 5 rows, it's remarkably quiet and comfortable.

I do get that the interiors are not as modern looking at the new 321s and 739s, but DL has done a solid job of making them seem fresh and updated.
Agree- It will be a sad day when those birds are retired. Most people don't know how old an airframe is as long as the interior is decent.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Perhaps "Flying Spreadsheet" would be more tasteful
This is a great name, and I hereby propose that the 737-900 hereafter be referred to on this board as the "Flying Spreadsheet".
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
I was chagrined yesterday to discover that, on an upcoming mid-con I had booked in Y, a 739 is replacing the 753. At least I had chosen a seat in a row that exists on both, so my seat assignment hasn't changed.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by woodford02A

Agree- It will be a sad day when those birds are retired. Most people don't know how old an airframe is as long as the interior is decent.
I have nothing but respect for the longevity of the MD-88. But the difference I physically feel between DLs 88s and 717s is night and day, e.i. the MX scenario I mentioned in my post.

I don't mind the 3x2 configuration at all. Were DL able to truly maintain the fleet I would love to see them hang around longer.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Were DL able to truly maintain the fleet I would love to see them hang around longer.
What exactly does that mean? Do you think Delta Tech Ops is cutting corners on the MD-88? I just stepped off of one about 15 minutes ago. Should I be thankful we made it?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:24 pm

What exactly does that mean? Do you think Delta Tech Ops is cutting corners on the MD-88? I just stepped off of one about 15 minutes ago. Should I be thankful we made it?
It's like a 200 year old building. If well maintained it will be structurally sound and fairly secured against the elements. The electrical will have been installed and overhauled at least once and conduit recessed in the walls. Plumbing will hopefully be converted into something modern from lead pipes, etc. But there comes a time when "being properly maintained" and "preservation" intersect, when maintenance overtakes operation. IMO DL is at that intersection with the MD-88. Why else would they be looking for the 88's replacement if they didn't see maintenance consistently outpacing operation on the horizon? I'm probably being a bit naive here, but just trying to communicate my opinion effectively while not trying to offend the Mad Dog lovers. I like the configuration, it has tons of usefulness. Also, unlike the 739, can get in the sky easily and doesn't feel like you're at cursing speed on final approach. I hope whatever DL replaces the MD with will be just as reliable.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
IIRC, there is a requirement that the cockpit computer system be upgraded by 2020. I think I heard that from a pilot a few years ago. If that's the case, DL probably determined that the cost of performing the upgrade along with other maintenance costs just isn't worth it for frames that are approaching 30 years in age.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Overhead bins

Do the delta 739s all have expanded overhead bins? The kind where they want your bag lying on its side?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.