Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Sky Club Access using AMEX Platinum Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Sky Club Access using AMEX Platinum Card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

I may go to the Centurion Lounge and allow time to go to Concourse A at SFO in the International Terminal or try the AF lounge however not sure about it being limited due to space constraints on a Friday afternoon as it gives hours 11:30-13:30 for possible restricted Priority Pass access.

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I'm transiting LAX on Delta with my family. Everyone in my party has an AMEX Platinum card, except one child. When I first read the AMEX rules, I thought she could get in on my card. But after reading some posts, it seems like the rule is interpreted as no free guests at DL lounges, even family members. Is that correct? If so, would it actually be enforced? Like if a family of 4 shows up with 3 AMEX Platinum cards, are they going to kick the card-less kid out or charge her $29?

If there is a charge, I see there's an Alaska lounge in Terminal 6 at LAX. I'm guessing that's pretty close to the DL gates (at least before they move next month)? We have a Priority Pass card from Citi Prestige which lets a whole family in on one card. Would that be my best lounge access there if I don't want to pay DL $29?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by iahphx
So I'm transiting LAX on Delta with my family. Everyone in my party has an AMEX Platinum card, except one child. When I first read the AMEX rules, I thought she could get in on my card. But after reading some posts, it seems like the rule is interpreted as no free guests at DL lounges, even family members. Is that correct? If so, would it actually be enforced? Like if a family of 4 shows up with 3 AMEX Platinum cards, are they going to kick the card-less kid out or charge her $29?

If there is a charge, I see there's an Alaska lounge in Terminal 6 at LAX. I'm guessing that's pretty close to the DL gates (at least before they move next month)? We have a Priority Pass card from Citi Prestige which lets a whole family in on one card. Would that be my best lounge access there if I don't want to pay DL $29?
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html

"Platinum American Express cardholders may enter the club with up to two guests for an additional fee."

There was this somewhat contentious thread recently: Do Sky Clubs Ever Let in Cute 7 Year Olds for Free?

RE: the AS lounge you should be aware they have been denying entry to PP holders for (they say) capacity reasons:

Priority Pass and denied entry at the Board Room b/c of space

although from the thread, experiences at LAX are more of a mixed bag than SEA/PDX. The PP site also mentions the KE lounge in TBIT (EDIT: which I just learned in another thread, is only open noon-8pm). DL also uses T5, but T5/T6/TBIT are all connected airside: http://www.laxishappening.com/assets...Tunnel-Map.pdf

So if you are in/out of T5 the question is how much walking is $29 worth.

Last edited by Zorak; Apr 9, 2017 at 5:03 pm Reason: add hours for KE lounge
Old Apr 9, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ages 2 and under are free, but older than that they are supposed to charge a fee.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 9, 2017 at 5:57 pm
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the responses. It's just a shame because we're infrequent DL flyers (we're UA and AA flyers) and there's no other reason for my young teenager to need a Platinum card. Travel privileges are just too complicated these days. Almost any other lounge I could get into in the world, I wouldn't need a separate card for her, so I don't bother.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:09 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks for the responses. It's just a shame because we're infrequent DL flyers (we're UA and AA flyers) and there's no other reason for my young teenager to need a Platinum card. Travel privileges are just too complicated these days. Almost any other lounge I could get into in the world, I wouldn't need a separate card for her, so I don't bother.
If your young teenager is 15 or older you can get them a Platinum Card, even if you don't let them carry it. If you only have two AUs at the moment it won't cost you anything.

People pay $745 per year for executive memberships that including Sky Club guesting. I would enjoy guesting too on occasion, but the clubs are already often too full and I would rather the Platinum keep the access that it does have than see it enhanced away.

In the end, it comes back to want lounge access, buy lounge access. $29 seems like a pretty good deal to me when it's effectively allowing four people to use your preferred lounge.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Anyone have any experience with your SPOUSE using the AMEX Card for entry while you are there? I have access to the club through my Diamond Status -- I wonder if they would swipe my AMEX PLT CARD to allow my spouse in?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:16 pm
C W

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Anyone have any experience with your SPOUSE using the AMEX Card for entry while you are there? I have access to the club through my Diamond Status -- I wonder if they would swipe my AMEX PLT CARD to allow my spouse in?
Official policy:

Valid Delta Sky Club membership, same-day boarding pass or other required credentials. (Only one credential may be used for Club access.)
Don't have any personal experience trying this, I doubt it will work. You can ask, but if they say no just go ahead and pay the fee. Don't be a DYKWIA and make a scene.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by C W
Official policy:

Don't have any personal experience trying this, I doubt it will work. You can ask, but if they say no just go ahead and pay the fee. Don't be a DYKWIA and make a scene.
I wouldn't make a scene. $29 isn't the end of the world.

What does "(Only one credential may be used for Club access.)" mean ?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:31 pm
C W

I wouldn't make a scene. $29 isn't the end of the world.

What does "(Only one credential may be used for Club access.)" mean ?
Maybe I've been reading the DYKWIA thread to much

Basically it prohibits exactly what you're trying to do. Use membership and a card. Or for example use the card for yourself and try and guest two people in with STE+ when flying internationally.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Won't work. Amex card only grants access to DL clubs for the person named on the card, and only when they present a matching boarding pass. The access is not transferable.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:31 pm

I haven't had much luck finding this info: I have an Amex Plat. If I bring a guest in and pay the $29 fee, does that count for lounges at connecting airports on the same day (like AA) or do you need to buy a new pass at each airport?

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:25 pm
C W

Originally Posted by platboy
I haven't had much luck finding this info: I have an Amex Plat. If I bring a guest in and pay the $29 fee, does that count for lounges at connecting airports on the same day (like AA) or do you need to buy a new pass at each airport?

Thanks!
You need to buy a new pass at each Sky Club.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
I have 2 Business Platinum Cards

I have 2 Business Platinum Cards, my brother works with me (we run a business together) he uses the one card from time to time even though it has my name on it but it has the business name on it, if we were to present both cards would they let him in ? Or since it doesn't match his BP it would be a no go? $29 isn't the end of the world of course but something tells me a visit to the Delta Club at EWR for 20 minutes isn't worth $29.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by theboss7593
I have 2 Business Platinum Cards, my brother works with me (we run a business together) he uses the one card from time to time even though it has my name on it but it has the business name on it, if we were to present both cards would they let him in ? Or since it doesn't match his BP it would be a no go? $29 isn't the end of the world of course but something tells me a visit to the Delta Club at EWR for 20 minutes isn't worth $29.
I'm surprised this works at all unless you and your brother have very similar first names or he's saying something like the card shows his middle name vs first name on his ticket.

Give it a shot if you'd like, but it's not supposed to work so I'd suggest not pushing or getting upset with the agent if you're refused.

And yes, there are definitely better ways to spend $29 in 20 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.