FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL Sky Club Access using AMEX Platinum Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1832272-dl-sky-club-access-using-amex-platinum-card.html)

danielonn Mar 28, 2017 1:44 pm

DL Sky Club Access using AMEX Platinum Card

I have just applied and was approved for the AMEX Platinum Credit Card through my banking institution and was wondering about this scenario.

1. I purchased an Air France Flight under the Delta Code Share from SFO-CDG. If I had time could I go to Terminal 1 clear TSA stating that I want to use the Delta Sky Club as this was booked on Delta Ticket Stock but AF Operates the flight.

Or option 2

Use Priority Pass to access the AF lounge but fear it may be restricted due to space constraints. Would I be restricted on a Friday?

Or Option 3

Use the Centurion Lounge walk over and clear security at the Terminal for AMEX and allow time to exit security at either the Terminal of the AMEX lounge or walk over airside Concourse G and walk over to Concourse A for my Air France flight.

BTW is there an airside connector between Concourse A and G? I wonder why they did not connect them airside like at LAX by going through a tunnel or have some shuttle bus for those who want to visit a restaurant in Concourse G or offer some sort of security bypass lane that would let you continue airside to Concourse A or G?

I love having three options available to me(:

Thanks.

MSPeconomist Mar 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Be careful if you "just" applied. AFAIK lounge access requires presentation of the physical card, although the Centurion lounge might be able to look up your card. It takes longer to get the PP membership card, which is required at PP lounges.

I'm confused by the statement that you applied through your "banking institution" and I wonder whether you're getting some affiliated credit card rather than the regular AmEx Plat charge card.

xliioper Mar 28, 2017 2:01 pm

Amex Platinum card requires that you be on a Delta operated flight (not simply marketed) for Sky Club access. The DL Amex Reserve card allows access with either DL operated or DL marketed flights.

danielonn Mar 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28098515)
Be careful if you "just" applied. AFAIK lounge access requires presentation of the physical card, although the Centurion lounge might be able to look up your card. It takes longer to get the PP membership card, which is required at PP lounges.

I'm confused by the statement that you applied through your "banking institution" and I wonder whether you're getting some affiliated credit card rather than the regular AmEx Plat charge card.

I get the Priority Pass Select as a benefit with two free guests and am waiting for the credit card in the mail and I also got the agent to apply for my Priority Pass Card. The flight is in July so I have plenty of time.

So I think I will just try the AF lounge in Concourse A using Priority Pass. The agent said that if I call Thursday I could get my Priority Pass Number to add to my Priority Pass mobile app.

TTT Mar 28, 2017 2:22 pm

I have had the Centurion lounge look it up when I haven't had my card. Good point on the PP though - that takes a couple of weeks at least.

Marylou Mar 28, 2017 3:13 pm

I think that was a reference to the PP Select membership verbiage that says "Priority Pass Select is specially designed for customers who receive their membership through a US Financial Institution. " Meaning that he got it via the Amex card, not buying a PP membership which gives you access to many more lounges than the "Select" membership.

I personally haven't found it to be much of a perque, just my experience.

Xeno Mar 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 28098607)
I get the Priority Pass Select as a benefit with two free guests and am waiting for the credit card in the mail and I also got the agent to apply for my Priority Pass Card. The flight is in July so I have plenty of time.

So I think I will just try the AF lounge in Concourse A using Priority Pass. The agent said that if I call Thursday I could get my Priority Pass Number to add to my Priority Pass mobile app.

I use PP that came from my PL AMEX to get into lounges when making connections past DL international flights. PP has an electronic pass that you can save in you iPhone wallet but make certain the lounge in question accepts the electronic PP.

My question is how does your PL AMEX PP give you two guests? I have not been allowed even one guest like in SJO last Dec.

xliioper Mar 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 28098988)
I use PP that came from my PL AMEX to get into lounges when making connections past DL international flights. PP has an electronic pass that you can save in you iPhone wallet but make certain the lounge in question accepts the electronic PP.

My question is how does your PL AMEX PP give you two guests? I have not been allowed even one guest like in SJO last Dec.

Currently, there are no free guests. With the new changes to the Plat Amex, the Priority Pass Select membership is supposed to allow two free guests as of March 30th.

gooselee Mar 28, 2017 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 28099108)
Currently, there are no free guests. With the new changes to the Plat Amex, the Priority Pass Select membership is supposed to allow two free guests as of March 30th.

Was just about to say this.

But...I'm still curious about OP obtaining the Amex through his "banking institution". That is very specific language to use. Yes, it's aligned to the T&Cs from PriorityPass, but seems awkward to call that out here.

I'm wondering if OP has one of the branded versions of the Amex Plat, or an international version issued by a non-Amex bank, or...something else I'm not thinking of.

flyerCO Mar 28, 2017 9:32 pm

AFAIK most PP lounges will take the digital card
. There are some that don't, but never been to one.

Zorak Mar 29, 2017 12:33 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 28099720)
But...I'm still curious about OP obtaining the Amex through his "banking institution". That is very specific language to use. Yes, it's aligned to the T&Cs from PriorityPass, but seems awkward to call that out here.

I'm wondering if OP has one of the branded versions of the Amex Plat, or an international version issued by a non-Amex bank, or...something else I'm not thinking of.

Maybe this?

https://www.schwab.com/public/schwab...s/credit_cards

C W Mar 29, 2017 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 28100530)

Could also be Morgan Stanley.

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 28098462)
I have just applied and was approved for the AMEX Platinum Credit Card through my banking institution and was wondering about this scenario.

1. I purchased an Air France Flight under the Delta Code Share from SFO-CDG. If I had time could I go to Terminal 1 clear TSA stating that I want to use the Delta Sky Club as this was booked on Delta Ticket Stock but AF Operates the flight.

Delta states regarding the Platinum card:

"Customers with select Platinum American Express credit cards may access Delta Sky Clubs when traveling on a same-day Delta operated flight or Delta marketed WestJet operated flight booked through Delta (tickets starting with the number 006). Does not include Delta SkyMiles co-branded American Express Platinum Card. Platinum American Express cardholders may enter the club with up to two guests for an additional fee."

Therefore I'm not sure you get access on a Delta-ticketed AF codeshare. Can others shed light on this? I've wondered for a while.

Or option 2

Use Priority Pass to access the AF lounge but fear it may be restricted due to space constraints. Would I be restricted on a Friday?

I assume that you're taking AF 083 at 15:10? Note that the lounge is restricted from Priority Pass members from 11:00-13:30 and 19:00-22:00. I can't speak to whether you'll be denied due to crowding, but regardless don't try and show up before 13:30, which pinches your time a bit.

Or Option 3

Use the Centurion Lounge walk over and clear security at the Terminal for AMEX and allow time to exit security at either the Terminal of the AMEX lounge or walk over airside Concourse G and walk over to Concourse A for my Air France flight.

This is what I usually do. It's a pain getting around SFO for sure, but I would much rather drink and eat at the Centurion before an AF flight. Since you didn't specify and you're talking about AF lounge access via PP, I'm going to assume you've booked in economy. In that case the AF food will be almost completely inedible (this coming from somebody who has an unnatural love of most airline food) and you'll be lucky to get two beverages before the second meal. I would recommend filling up and drinking up (if that's your thing ;)) before getting onboard.

xliioper Mar 29, 2017 8:10 am

Originally Posted by C W (Post 28101430)
Delta states regarding the Platinum card:

"Customers with select Platinum American Express credit cards may access Delta Sky Clubs when traveling on a same-day Delta operated flight or Delta marketed WestJet operated flight booked through Delta (tickets starting with the number 006). Does not include Delta SkyMiles co-branded American Express Platinum Card. Platinum American Express cardholders may enter the club with up to two guests for an additional fee."

Therefore I'm not sure you get access on a Delta-ticketed AF codeshare. Can others shed light on this? I've wondered for a while.

With Plat Amex, flights must be DL-operated other than the mentioned DL-marketed WS flights. The text in parens is referring to the WS flights (that's why it's in parens). If it were meant to be standalone, it wouldn't be in parens (because parens are used to clarify a statement) and it would be separated by an "or". With the DL Amex Reserve, flights may be either DL operated or DL marketed for access. Neither card provides access simply because you have an 006 ticket.

C W Mar 29, 2017 8:21 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 28101706)
With Plat Amex, flights must be DL-operated other than the mentioned DL-marketed WS flights. The text in parens is referring to the WS flights (that's why it's in parens). If it were meant to be standalone, it wouldn't be in parens (because parens are used to clarify a statement) and it would be separated by an "or". With the DL Amex Reserve, flights may be either DL operated or DL marketed for access. Neither card provides access simply because you have an 006 ticket.

So a 006 ticket on AF metal does NOT get SkyClub access with Amex Plat?

xliioper Mar 29, 2017 8:25 am

Originally Posted by C W (Post 28101753)
So a 006 ticket on AF metal does NOT get SkyClub access with Amex Plat?

Correct, must be Delta metal (or DL coded WS flight).