Search

Delta One LAX-SYD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Delta One LAX-SYD

My girlfriend and I managed to find what little D1 award space was available in December and booked two tickets for 110,000 a piece. I don't really have any expectations going in, I'm just happy to have a lie-flat seat and some leg room for the 14 hour flight. What have your D1 experiences been like on this route?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
worth a read if you're not familiar with Delta or the product on the 777: http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...businesselite/
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woodford02A
worth a read if you're not familiar with Delta or the product on the 777: http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...businesselite/
Thank you ^. I'll take a look
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton Gold, PriorityPass
I don't think the article talks about it, but you'll also get Delta pajamas, which are super comfortable.

Edit: Oh wait, the article does talk about it, never mind. Anyways, this is one of the few Delta One flights that receives them (all Chinese flights and LAX-SYD-LAX).
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: delta dm
Yes. You get delta one pajamas westin heavenly bedding slippers and a tumi kit. They serve a starter then the main course then dessert. You can even choose the express option so everything comes all at once to maximize sleep. We had a great pinot noir with dinner. They have a mid flight snack that they still gave me about 2 hrs late because I slept so long. Then a breakfast prior to landing. Its worth whatever it takes to get into D1 for that long of a flight. For 2 people trying to get the middle together is best. I also reccomend the most forward cabin in D1 on 777 if possible. I traveled by myself for business so exact seat wasnt as much of a concern for me. Also Syd is one of the true gems in this world. Have a blast. Cheers.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Yes. You get delta one pajamas westin heavenly bedding slippers and a tumi kit. They serve a starter then the main course then dessert. You can even choose the express option so everything comes all at once to maximize sleep. We had a great pinot noir with dinner. They have a mid flight snack that they still gave me about 2 hrs late because I slept so long. Then a breakfast prior to landing. Its worth whatever it takes to get into D1 for that long of a flight. For 2 people trying to get the middle together is best. I also reccomend the most forward cabin in D1 on 777 if possible. I traveled by myself for business so exact seat wasnt as much of a concern for me. Also Syd is one of the true gems in this world. Have a blast. Cheers.
Is it the best option on the 777 when the 2 seats in the center face away from each other? Wouldn't having either an A/B pair or C/D pair be better? Neither option is great since even having one window and one center requires talking across the aisle on the 777 but the angle you have to turn to talk to your neighbor in the center section isn't exactly comfortable for extended periods of times.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Is it the best option on the 777 when the 2 seats in the center face away from each other? Wouldn't having either an A/B pair or C/D pair be better? Neither option is great since even having one window and one center requires talking across the aisle on the 777 but the angle you have to turn to talk to your neighbor in the center section isn't exactly comfortable for extended periods of times.
I totally agree with your sentiments as there is no real good option on the 777 because of the angulation. You think the design would be better. However I switched someone who wanted to sit together with their SO on the way back in the middle. Go figure.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I flew this back in August, and one thing I'd recommend on the LAX-SYD segment is to try and stay awake after takeoff for as long as you can hold out -- the meal service should help with this. You land around 7 am, and you don't want to sleep 8 hours immediately after take-off, wake up at the equivalent of midnight SYD time, and then be passing out around 2 pm on your first day. The later you can stay awake (which can be tough coming from elsewhere in the US because the flight doesn't leave until 11 pm PST), the later you can sleep SYD time and have a more normal day upon arrival.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chadg
I don't think the article talks about it, but you'll also get Delta pajamas, which are super comfortable.

Edit: Oh wait, the article does talk about it, never mind. Anyways, this is one of the few Delta One flights that receives them (all Chinese flights and LAX-SYD-LAX).
The PJ's actually look really nice . I love a good set of airline pajamas
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

We're not in the forward cabin, but we did get two seats in the middle. We chose 12B and 12C. I could always check the seatmap and switch to the forward cabin if it's open.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
We're not in the forward cabin, but we did get two seats in the middle. We chose 12B and 12C. I could always check the seatmap and switch to the forward cabin if it's open.
As I mentioned above, just be aware about the layout with the center seats facing away from each other. You will both have to turn approximately 135 degrees to talk to each other (versus if one of you is in the window and one is the center section, you only have to turn 45 degrees to look eye-to-eye and talk, granted it would be across the aisle).

I totally agree with your sentiments as there is no real good option on the 777 because of the angulation. You think the design would be better. However I switched someone who wanted to sit together with their SO on the way back in the middle. Go figure.
I'm glad the switched the pattern for the A330s and the 747s but DL really blew it with the cabin layout on the 777 IMO. Window seats that don't face the windows and center seats that don't face inward, providing for easier interaction with a travel partner.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cory6188
I flew this back in August, and one thing I'd recommend on the LAX-SYD segment is to try and stay awake after takeoff for as long as you can hold out -- the meal service should help with this. You land around 7 am, and you don't want to sleep 8 hours immediately after take-off, wake up at the equivalent of midnight SYD time, and then be passing out around 2 pm on your first day. The later you can stay awake (which can be tough coming from elsewhere in the US because the flight doesn't leave until 11 pm PST), the later you can sleep SYD time and have a more normal day upon arrival.
Good call! It'll be my first time visiting so I definitely want to maximize my time there.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Don't think you'll be able to have a normal conversation with your companion in the middle section without hurting your neck. I'd take an A/B or C/D as you will be able to have a better conversation across the aisle then turning your neck 140 degrees. This is one of the reasons why the 777 is my least favriote D1 prouduct is because of the awkward seat layout. I bet pax traveling together who are unaware of this will be very annoyed when they won't be able to talk to their companion face to face. The 777 mods can't come fast enough. Also if sitting in the back of the J class, every Y pax will be looking at you and you will be looking at them. If you want privacy then go to the front of the cabin.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Don't think you'll be able to have a normal conversation with your companion in the middle section without hurting your neck. I'd take an A/B or C/D as you will be able to have a better conversation across the aisle then turning your neck 140 degrees. This is one of the reasons why the 777 is my least favriote D1 prouduct is because of the awkward seat layout. I bet pax traveling together who are unaware of this will be very annoyed when they won't be able to talk to their companion face to face. The 777 mods can't come fast enough. Also if sitting in the back of the J class, every Y pax will be looking at you and you will be looking at them. If you want privacy then go to the front of the cabin.
Welp, I'm convinced! I'm making the switch.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by Cory6188
My one time flying LAX-SYD I tried the opposite approach and it worked for me. I told the FA that as it was 2 am for me I would just have a couple of cocktails and the starter plate, and likely would be asleep by the time he was serving the main. As a result I was able to get 8 uninterrupted hours of sleep (in a QF Barcalounger - this was late 90s), woke up, had the pre-arrival breakfast, and was ready to go the whole day on arrival in SYD. It probably helped that my hotel room wasn't available on arrival so I checked my bags at the desk and went out for second breakfast. That flight was my easiest as far as not succumbing to jet lag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.