Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One LAX-SYD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
As someone who has been glued to the LAX-SYD miles pricing for the last year, I agree. I managed to snag the same price for BOS-LAX-SYD in May '17 and I still can't believe I found it. Now we pray for them to refresh the seats by then (I won't hold my breath)
The seats will not be refreshed on the 77Ls by then.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:45 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by mnredfox
I've never seen D1 this low on this route ever. Congrats to the OP.
There were two dates in December at 110K, but other than those it was 325k. Luckily my schedule was pretty flexible so I could make either of them work.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by DLATL777
The seats will not be refreshed on the 77Ls by then.
Oh sure, crush my dreams. haha, well, thanks for the update!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well I paid 160k miles for a round-trip redemption which included the LAX-SYD segment. Wasn't too impressed with D1. Actually though the VA TPAC back (BNE-LAX) was better and it wasn't even their upgraded business cabins.

I thought the lowest J award to Australia was like 185k these days?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Well I paid 160k miles for a round-trip redemption which included the LAX-SYD segment. Wasn't too impressed with D1. Actually though the VA TPAC back (BNE-LAX) was better and it wasn't even their upgraded business cabins.

I thought the lowest J award to Australia was like 185k these days?
I've heard many say the same thing about D1. I'm quite certain it will beat riding in the back of the bus.

I actually thought the lowest level was 190k but to be honest I'm not sure why I think that. I probably read something on here about it since, you know, Delta chooses not to publish the award charts anymore. In any event, I never have seen one price at either 185k or 190k, and I've done a lot of searching. That being said, all my habitual searching stopped in July when I finally got mine booked.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Supposedly there's mythical TPAC awards on VA showing up within a week of departure.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:19 pm

I should also add I was always searching for 2 seats, not 1, so that could impact why I was never seeing the lowest levels. Earlier this year I was able to constantly see 2 J awards available at 160k RT, but always super last minute bookings. For grins I just took a look and I did find a 190k award, LAX-SYD Nov 1 - Nov 7th, so I'm guessing that may be the lowest level. Want to stay longer than 6 days? No prob, just pay >400k pp and you're good to go.

edit: the 190k awards are VA, LAX to BNE, and then connect to SYD. hah.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by Legacygt
The DL 777s on this route are getting a bit dated but otherwise fine. I've always had good service and a reasonable product.

Get the front section if you can. Definitely avoid the D1 seat in the second section which is right in front of the lavatory door. I had this seat on my return leg earlier this year and the in / out drove me nuts the whole time.
Agree 100%. Seat 10C is right next to, and facing, the toilet door.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should also add I was always searching for 2 seats, not 1, so that could impact why I was never seeing the lowest levels. Earlier this year I was able to constantly see 2 J awards available at 160k RT, but always super last minute bookings. For grins I just took a look and I did find a 190k award, LAX-SYD Nov 1 - Nov 7th, so I'm guessing that may be the lowest level. Want to stay longer than 6 days? No prob, just pay >400k pp and you're good to go.

edit: the 190k awards are VA, LAX to BNE, and then connect to SYD. hah.
Increase went into effect on Oct 1. Already widely discussed here (which you were a part of) --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-1-2016-a.html

Book a one-way to SYD and then wait until you are within the 7 day window to book your return flight.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Increase went into effect on Oct 1. Already widely discussed here (which you were a part of) --
Ahh yes, this must be what I was thinking about when I said:

I actually thought the lowest level was 190k but to be honest I'm not sure why I think that. I probably read something on here
Also

Originally Posted by LBJ
Book a one-way to SYD and then wait until you are within the 7 day window to book your return flight.
Best wishes to anyone willing to gamble on that. I'm totally a gambling man but not with major travel like this!! And, in my specific case, I'm coming from the east coast so I needed more than just LAX-SYD. But yep, if one is willing to take a chance that is probably the best (and one of the very few) ways to get the saver level.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Originally Posted by PassengerPoldberg
Fantastic! I ended up switching to 4D so hopefully I can get some cool shots. We're just going to be in Sydney for four days so we'll probably just explore the area since neither of us have been. If you've got good suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Sorry if this is posted further down but we've been there 3 times (from Batemans bay to port douglas), but if in Sydney only, then we would put the climb to the top of the harbor bridge and the opera house as the top two. Bondi beach is nice if you like beaches and the zoo has great views of the city. We also took the jetcat up to the olympic site about 12 years ago.

If you can squeeze and extra day or two, flying up to the great barrier reef and snorkling is awesome!! We have also done the blue mountains and Junolan caves and thought it is just ok but that is us.

Have fun!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
I'm going next week.

Planning to do most of those except for the Bridge Climb. Seems like a tourist ripoff.

Apparently you can go up to the top of the southern tower of the bridge gratis.

Also looking forward to visiting Kiribilli, which I missed in my previous visit.
When we did the bridge climb it was ~13 years ago and we went all the way to the top of the arch, crossed to the other side of the road and came back down the other side. We also did the evening trip, ie go up as the sun is starting to set and finish mostly in the dark. Absolutely worth the money unless they have changed the tour. Our tour guide was from the UK and was super excited that we got to see the QE2 leaving the harbor on our way up

One thing I forgot in the last post is a place about 2hr drive south of Syd. It's called Pebbly beach and you can feed the kangaroos and Parrotts out of your hand on the beach. IIRC it is a state park or something. Just search google.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1.1MM
Supposedly there's mythical TPAC awards on VA showing up within a week of departure.
Can confirm -- went in the low season early aug, but VA had a fair bit (3-4 seats) in J that opened 5-6 days prior. Changed by DL1 award to VA J. It was wonderful.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
I did this. Booked an economy award on VA months in advance and noticed this quirk of availability opening up a week out. So just patiently waited, booked at T-minus 7 days and then cancelled the economy award to get the miles back (DM/PM benefit). The VA product had just been refreshed days earlier. It was super sweet.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:44 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by mspflier
I did this. Booked an economy award on VA months in advance and noticed this quirk of availability opening up a week out. So just patiently waited, booked at T-minus 7 days and then cancelled the economy award to get the miles back (DM/PM benefit). The VA product had just been refreshed days earlier. It was super sweet.
How many Skymiles does Delta charge for a one-way on VA? I could always keep an eye on availability and make a last second switch if something comes up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.