Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One LAX-SYD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:00 pm

We both like windows so we just did 6A and 7A. No seats are really great for conversation. We got up to talk to each other and stretch our legs quite a few times. But generally just kept headphones on and zoned out.

I've been on the 777 many times international and domestic and it's really great for flying alone and not being bothered, but not good for when you are with someone.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
We recently did the reverse and were in the middle seats in the last row of the forward cabin. Honestly, it wasn't that bad for a couple. No, we couldn't have deep, meaningful conversations for hours on end, but we could easily get each other's attention as needed and chat a bit here and there through the cutout in that row. The 777 layout is still my least favorite overall, but for sleeping it's actually the best sleep I've ever gotten since your head is away from the aisle when reclined (and in that back row, you have the extra wall thing blocking you in).

And of course, for this length of a flight, it is light years better than Y no matter what.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
The Mrs and I take this flight twice a year (both DM), both for business in Australia and the other for a hop to NZ. This is the first year that we got GUCs to sit up front.

In the past, (C+ seats), it's challenging for me to get a good sleep without 'medication' - a few stiff drinks at least. The first year I got so enthralled with watching all the movies, I stay up most of the flight. But being in a new city/country made it easy to get past any desire to sleep.

In D1 - what a difference. The screens are larger, but further away from you than in the back. The service, food, drinks, PJs, Tumi kit ... all top notch. The FAs even held off on my dinner for a couple hours so that I could time my sleep better.

As mentioned, the best seats for conversing would be across the aisle. But when you're sleeping or watching a movie, it's a moot point.
As for seeing the coast line, at sunrise, during approach, get yourself (or both of you) on the D side. They usually fly past Sydney to the south (where the airport is anyway) for a northerly approach. It's not a close enough flyby that you can get a selfie with the Opera House in the background, but better than staring into the sun over water from the port side.

Depending on where you're headed, I can share my experiences with different parts of the east coast.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Detroiter
My one time flying LAX-SYD I tried the opposite approach and it worked for me. I told the FA that as it was 2 am for me I would just have a couple of cocktails and the starter plate, and likely would be asleep by the time he was serving the main. As a result I was able to get 8 uninterrupted hours of sleep (in a QF Barcalounger - this was late 90s), woke up, had the pre-arrival breakfast, and was ready to go the whole day on arrival in SYD. It probably helped that my hotel room wasn't available on arrival so I checked my bags at the desk and went out for second breakfast. That flight was my easiest as far as not succumbing to jet lag.
My first OZ trip was in 1991 -- and I was lucky because on arrival in the morning, the BNB I was staying at fed me a light breakfast and let me have my room. I slept for about 5 hours, then spent the afternoon riding the ferry in the sun across Sydney harbor to Manly. Took my last trip of the day back to Circular Quay after sunset sitting on the top deck, was amazed to see the Southern Cross (the stars in the southern sky are of course completely different).
Went to bed and woke up the next morning with no jet lag.

Last edited by mot29; Oct 28, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:49 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by BHammy
The Mrs and I take this flight twice a year (both DM), both for business in Australia and the other for a hop to NZ. This is the first year that we got GUCs to sit up front.

In the past, (C+ seats), it's challenging for me to get a good sleep without 'medication' - a few stiff drinks at least. The first year I got so enthralled with watching all the movies, I stay up most of the flight. But being in a new city/country made it easy to get past any desire to sleep.

In D1 - what a difference. The screens are larger, but further away from you than in the back. The service, food, drinks, PJs, Tumi kit ... all top notch. The FAs even held off on my dinner for a couple hours so that I could time my sleep better.

As mentioned, the best seats for conversing would be across the aisle. But when you're sleeping or watching a movie, it's a moot point.
As for seeing the coast line, at sunrise, during approach, get yourself (or both of you) on the D side. They usually fly past Sydney to the south (where the airport is anyway) for a northerly approach. It's not a close enough flyby that you can get a selfie with the Opera House in the background, but better than staring into the sun over water from the port side.

Depending on where you're headed, I can share my experiences with different parts of the east coast.
Fantastic! I ended up switching to 4D so hopefully I can get some cool shots. We're just going to be in Sydney for four days so we'll probably just explore the area since neither of us have been. If you've got good suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Detroiter
My one time flying LAX-SYD I tried the opposite approach and it worked for me. I told the FA that as it was 2 am for me I would just have a couple of cocktails and the starter plate, and likely would be asleep by the time he was serving the main. As a result I was able to get 8 uninterrupted hours of sleep (in a QF Barcalounger - this was late 90s), woke up, had the pre-arrival breakfast, and was ready to go the whole day on arrival in SYD. It probably helped that my hotel room wasn't available on arrival so I checked my bags at the desk and went out for second breakfast. That flight was my easiest as far as not succumbing to jet lag.
Jetlag is one of those things that impacts everyone differently. I'm kind of in the middle -- it was my one time doing this, but we were actually setting off on our RTW from New York about a decade ago, in QF F (so flat beds). First leg was JFK-LAX-SYD on the through flight. I had a nice dinner and watched some movies from JFK. Then I recall going to sleep right after take-off from LAX, waking up in the middle of that 14-hour leg, ordering some food, and then going back to sleep for a few more hours before pre-arrival breakfast. I'm sure I got 8-9 hours of sleep, in two chunks, and had no jetlag whatsoever.
I try to replicate that, on something like JFK-YVR-HKG, though maybe also a quick nap after dinner ex-JFK. That seems to me the best way to *minimize* jetlag in HKG, but it's still a bit of an issue for me there. I suppose a 12 hour time change is worse than a 16 hour (effectively 8 hours) though.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:19 pm

The DL 777s on this route are getting a bit dated but otherwise fine. I've always had good service and a reasonable product.

Get the front section if you can. Definitely avoid the D1 seat in the second section which is right in front of the lavatory door. I had this seat on my return leg earlier this year and the in / out drove me nuts the whole time.

Having done BOS-SYD many times now, I agree with the above recommendations to try and stay awake as long as possible on the LAX-SYD leg, which is even harder from east coast time. I try to get at least one movie in after the meal before crashing. The longer you can stay up, the better you will transition to the time. The planes will all land early AM, so be prepared to have a full day.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
As I mentioned above, just be aware about the layout with the center seats facing away from each other. You will both have to turn approximately 135 degrees to talk to each other (versus if one of you is in the window and one is the center section, you only have to turn 45 degrees to look eye-to-eye and talk, granted it would be across the aisle).

I'm glad the switched the pattern for the A330s and the 747s but DL really blew it with the cabin layout on the 777 IMO. Window seats that don't face the windows and center seats that don't face inward, providing for easier interaction with a travel partner.
This wasn't really a DL thing. Most 777 aircraft had this configuration for angled seats. Only more recently have 777s started having the opposite.

The real problem is with the A330 type layout if you're solo and in the middle. You feel like you're sharing space and the flight with a stranger.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This wasn't really a DL thing. Most 777 aircraft had this configuration for angled seats. Only more recently have 777s started having the opposite.

The real problem is with the A330 type layout if you're solo and in the middle. You feel like you're sharing space and the flight with a stranger.
I flew the VS A330 to London earlier this year and can attest to that.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I flew this back in February, to get to New Zealand. Originally booked as a J award for 160k miles round-trip.

I was suppose to fly LAX-BNE on VA but they canceled that flight and routed me through LAX-SYD and then onto WLG.

I declined the pajamas (where would you change?)?

The pods looked really worn out. I can understand that but to put D1 branding all over the place without replacing the pods?

I don't remember the meal. It wasn't memorable.

It was great to use up miles for this redemption but no way would I pay 110k one way for this. I'm going to SYD next week on AA for 125k in J.

The comparison will be interesting.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wco81
I flew this back in February, to get to New Zealand. Originally booked as a J award for 160k miles round-trip.

I was suppose to fly LAX-BNE on VA but they canceled that flight and routed me through LAX-SYD and then onto WLG.

The pods looked really worn out. I can understand that but to put D1 branding all over the place without replacing the pods?

It was great to use up miles for this redemption but no way would I pay 110k one way for this. I'm going to SYD next week on AA for 125k in J.

There's decent size restrooms on the 777. Easy to change in them, and I'm a big guy.

As for seats the 777, they are scheduled to be changed out starting sometime next year. You cant change a seat type just because you change branding name. Getting the A350 and additional A330s online should help with the schedule.

Unless they fly the newset 777, AA will have far worse seating in J then DL. One needs to remember that what DL uses for J seats is usually reserved for F seats on a lot of carriers. Only recently has there been a trend for J class on carriers with F to be all-aisle access type.

I flew the standard 777 (not new 777) in IFC LAX-PVG and looked back at J and was glad not to be there. Really wasn't all that more impressed with IFC. Looking forward to trying Dragonair IFC and the brand new AA 777 IFC on flight back to US.

Last edited by flyerCO; Oct 28, 2016 at 2:20 pm
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I actually really appreciate the PJs - one less thing to pack and I know I want to be comfy for sleep. I change into them as soon as the seat belt sign goes off. The rear lav has a fine amount of room (at least for me), is reasonably clean that early in the flight, and has a big pull down changing table which helps. The fact that you also get slippers help with making changing in the lav a little less gross.

To each their own, of course.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I thought about putting them on over my clothes but probably perspire too much.

IIRC, they didn't distribute them until after the meal so I don't know what the restrooms were like.

I don't recall some big rush to the restrooms after the PJs were distributed so I wonder how the other passengers dealt with it.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I thought about putting them on over my clothes but probably perspire too much.

IIRC, they didn't distribute them until after the meal so I don't know what the restrooms were like.

I don't recall some big rush to the restrooms after the PJs were distributed so I wonder how the other passengers dealt with it.
Weird. I've always been given them whole on the ground. Could change while plane was at gate, which is the custom of most airlines I've flown who have them.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

You think 110K on DL is a bad deal, but you're willing to redeem 125K on AA? That doesn't make much sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.