Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I come back?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
In contrast to what I said about miles being harder to use now in 2015, my upgrades have been significantly better this year than they were last year. Service is about the same as always (meaning, better than WN/UA/AA imo).
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:21 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
For #6, I always order double drinks on the first pass, because unless it's a really long flight they only make one pass. And the snack basket (a version of the one in FC), is only offered on longer flights. My flights are mostly under 2 hours and C+ gets the same peanuts/cookies/pretzels as the rest of the main cabin.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
No don't come back, more upgrades for me!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
So AA announced further changes that will make their program look essentially, just like Delta's. However, with a much worse hard product and CS.
So, I was hoping if any of you would be willing to let me know what your upgrade percentages look like so far this year as Platinum and/or Diamond. Thanks so much!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by thoiboi
No don't come back, more upgrades for me!
Yes I agree Delta sucks
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:26 pm
k2

Originally Posted by Juanefny
So AA announced further changes that will make their program look essentially, just like Delta's. However, with a much worse hard product and CS.
So, I was hoping if any of you would be willing to let me know what your upgrade percentages look like so far this year as Platinum and/or Diamond. Thanks so much!
If you come back to DL for domestic F upgrades you will be very disappointed, and it's only going to get worse because they transitioning the upgrade benefit from F to C+.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
Crazy. These responses make me want to stay on aa.
What percentage of upgrades are diamonds averaging?
I'm sitting at 80% for the year on 60+ segments so far.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitpit
I'm sitting at 80% for the year on 60+ segments so far.
Not too bad, that's probably a bit better than I am. EXP upgrades have gotten tougher since the merger with US...
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
As a DM MM, today I chose not to buy FC. I am in C+ from MCO-DTW-DEN. #5 for 3 MCO-DTW, & #4 for 1 on DTW-DEN. I am currently in 3/4 of my C+ seat as I know I am not small, but my seat mate takes the prize.... The 3 Woodfords have helped, but I may need a chiropractor after this flight.

Thank you DL for showing me that loyalty means nothing. When I leave my current company (soon ) & am booking my own tix, it is FC, on the cheapest, most direct flight. I saw the light and now know that loyalty means nothing.

Thank you Delta for showing me the errors of my ways.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Check out the upgrade thread - as an FO I'm doing better than some DM's even - it's all about the route, day of the week and time of day. If you can configure your travel patterns around non-peak time, as a PM/DM you'll do great.

If 99% of your flights are ATL-LAX and back on Monday AM's or Friday afternoons, well then, as a DM you're sitting in the back unless you RUC/GUC it.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Unless I missed it upthread, you don't mention what routes/days/times you usually fly. IME those factors tend to influence UG % greatly.

Flying ATL-NYC and back on Mondays/Thursdays, I experience almost zero UGs as a PM. But if I fly ATL-NYC at noon on a Wednesday and then back on a Saturday, I've got probably an 80% shot of getting upgraded at the gate. And if I fly to random midwestern cities almost any day of the week, it's basically a guaranteed upgrade at the advance PM window.

If you come back to DL, come back for the schedules, routes, and performance. As others have mentioned, DL is doing everything they can to sell FC and keep people with coach tickets behind the curtain. And it's working - their FC fares and same-day flexibility make them quite worthwhile for me to buy on many of those ATL-NYC trips.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm very flexible with times as I usually get to pick my schedule... So I can fly wed - sats for example.
As far as routes, I'm a lobbyist so I fly to dca a lot. I'm out of Abq so I was in Atl a lot. And to a lesser extent SLC and MSP.
I also fly to Nyc and sju quite a bit.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm very flexible with times as I usually get to pick my schedule... So I can fly wed - sats for example.
As far as routes, I'm a lobbyist so I fly to dca a lot. I'm out of Abq so I was in Atl a lot. And to a lesser extent SLC and MSP.
I also fly to Nyc and sju quite a bit.
If you can be flexible than the GUCs are simply amazing-true there isn't anything "distinctive" about them relative to AA or UA, other than the fact that once you're on the plane the in-flight experience is 10x better. I find that GUC availability FOR ME is quite good-- there is a ton of space to LHR through JFK and in doing research for TPAC from DTW this summer, the agent quoted me 10-12 days in July for DTW - PVG on the 744. Again, 1 data point is not a trend, but I'm quite pleased with GUC availability--really the only benefit that care about.

Also, I do find that C+ transcon is a nicer experience. In addition to the leg room, there are free "snack / meals," alcohol, and the amenity kits. True none of these independently are worth a whole lot, but they do add up to something, not nothing.

"Loyalty programs" today are really about finding what specifically you value and which of the big 3 can most closely deliver it with regularity. And sadly, you may find that with the way air travel is going, nobody can deliver these days. But for me, DL is the closest by far.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
I am coming back! I had a good couple of years at AA but based in ATL with advantage now much weaker than Skymiles it is a no brainer. My observations

AA
I had great saver award redemptions with AA to great destinations at peak times but that has really dried up recently. I enjoyed the extra miles I collected from connections. $ based these advantages will no longer exist. AA never gave me any problems and I would say the service has been very good. Without AA having any real advantage over DL now, DL wins.

DL
Award seats getting much better. 4 seats at low level to GCM during 2017 spring break. ATL-NYC many low options. Low options to Europe as well. Non-stops are much more valuable in the $ based FF world. DL amex makes it easy to maintain elite status. Amex plat for club access. C+ is way better than MCE right now. Skybonus beats businessextra.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:03 am

Switch?

Hello! Some of you may remember me from 4 + years ago when I occasionally posted on this board.

So after trying to convince DL to provide upgrade certificates that could be used on any fare to no avail, I switched to AA about four years ago. I have been their top tier and their lowest tier through the years and have been generally OK with AA. However, with the merger and the upcoming changes to the FFP at AA, I'm beginning to wonder if I should come back to DL. I was one of the "charter Diamonds" when the program came out and my upgrades were near 100%.

So I thought I would post some questions I have since it's been so long since I flew DL and I know lots has changed...
1) What are Diamond upgrades like these days?
2) Can you use the 4 global certificates on any fare?
3) While I know "skypesos" have always been hard to use, has any of that changed now that miles are harder to earn?
4) Just want to make sure I read correctly that if you spend over $25k on a DL Amex the min spend is waived. I don't book over $15k/year, so that's why I ask that.
5) How would you say the DL service has changed over the past five years? It seems to have gotten more reliable with fewer cancellations etc.
6) Do you get unlimited food/drinks when in comfort +?

Hope all of you have been well!
All good questions, but my opinion is get with a good carrier--the one with the most flights in and out of your airport--and stick with it. UA, DL, and AA, for example, are--or will soon be the same--regarding flyer programs. AA just became DL-like.

JetBlue and Southwest are good, but they don't go where I often go: SIN, KUL, LHR, AMS, CDG, etc. So, select one and go with it. They will be or are now darn near the same.

Someone once asked Nelson Mandela why he was not more angry. His answer was, “If I thought it would be useful, I would be.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.