FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Should I come back? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1723288-should-i-come-back.html)

Juanefny Nov 9, 2015 3:11 pm

Should I come back?

Hello! Some of you may remember me from 4 + years ago when I occasionally posted on this board.

So after trying to convince DL to provide upgrade certificates that could be used on any fare to no avail, I switched to AA about four years ago. I have been their top tier and their lowest tier through the years and have been generally OK with AA. However, with the merger and the upcoming changes to the FFP at AA, I'm beginning to wonder if I should come back to DL. I was one of the "charter Diamonds" when the program came out and my upgrades were near 100%.

So I thought I would post some questions I have since it's been so long since I flew DL and I know lots has changed...
1) What are Diamond upgrades like these days?
2) Can you use the 4 global certificates on any fare?
3) While I know "skypesos" have always been hard to use, has any of that changed now that miles are harder to earn?
4) Just want to make sure I read correctly that if you spend over $25k on a DL Amex the min spend is waived. I don't book over $15k/year, so that's why I ask that.
5) How would you say the DL service has changed over the past five years? It seems to have gotten more reliable with fewer cancellations etc.
6) Do you get unlimited food/drinks when in comfort +?

Hope all of you have been well! :)

javabytes Nov 9, 2015 4:03 pm

1) Fewer and fewer. Delta is targeting a paid first class load factor of 70%, so less than one in 3 seats will be filled by a complimentary upgrade. They are making progress towards that target, sitting between 50-60% at present. This will ultimately impact lower tier Medallions much can more than higher tiers.

2) Any cash fare except E.

3) No

4) At present, yes. DL has already increased the MQD requirements once. Whether they will do the same for the CC spend in the future is an open question... as is whether they will continue to allow the waiver to apply to all tiers or follow UA down a path where top tier status can not be attained using a waiver.

5) Operationally, DL is best among its legacy US peers in many areas such as on time percentage.

6) I've not used EC service much since this all changed, so can't speak to this.

LoganFlyer Nov 9, 2015 4:16 pm

6) It's not really unlimited. They come through once or twice with the snack basket and with drinks, at least on domestic flights.

EVA777 Nov 9, 2015 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 25687904)
1) Fewer and fewer. Delta is targeting a paid first class load factor of 70%, so less than one in 3 seats will be filled by a complimentary upgrade. They are making progress towards that target, sitting between 50-60% at present. This will ultimately impact lower tier Medallions much can more than higher tiers.

2) Any cash fare except E.

3) No

4) At present, yes. DL has already increased the MQD requirements once. Whether they will do the same for the CC spend in the future is an open question... as is whether they will continue to allow the waiver to apply to all tiers or follow UA down a path where top tier status can not be attained using a waiver.

5) Operationally, DL is best among its legacy US peers in many areas such as on time percentage.

6) I've not used EC service much since this all changed, so can't speak to this.

I agree with everything above. I was also a charter diamond and for a year after. I left for UA and make a return to BR (EVA Air) as well. I came back to Delta this year. Started from 0 MQM's and will end over 200k MQM's.

I will expand on #6. I purchased EC while I was FO and GM. The extra room is nice but I have always found the service to be a joke. International - There is no extra attention and the food / drink carts make the same passes as Y-. The only success I've had is doubling up on drinks. Domestic - you will get the snack basket and the same service as Y-.

Hopefully with the upcoming EC announcement things will improve in the service category. If they don't, I think they will tick off a lot of customers who buy up expecting a better experience only to find out all they are getting is a little extra legroom.

With the possible mileage redemption changes coming in June I contemplated slowing my DL travel. But I have decided to stick around and see what happens.

javabytes Nov 9, 2015 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by EVA777 (Post 25687989)
With the possible mileage redemption changes coming in June I contemplated slowing my DL travel. But I have decided to stick around and see what happens.

Not to go off topic, but these changes are already in effect for tickets booked today for travel after June 1. So far, the changes seem to be limited to mileage upgrade prices (big increase), and also to award ticket pricing for Peak awards (also a big increase). For the most part, the worst award pricing changes are for those who are originating outside the US. For example, try booking CDG-ATL non-stop on Delta metal for next June... most dates are 375k per-passenger for each way in J (750k round trip). If you originate in the US, the "old" Peak prices of 147,500 each way still apply.

EVA777 Nov 9, 2015 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 25688037)
Not to go off topic, but these changes are already in effect for tickets booked today for travel after June 1. So far, the changes seem to be limited to mileage upgrade prices (big increase), and also to award ticket pricing for Peak awards (also a big increase). For the most part, the worst award pricing changes are for those who are originating outside the US. For example, try booking CDG-ATL non-stop on Delta metal for next June... most dates are 375k per-passenger for each way in J (750k round trip). If you originate in the US, the "old" Peak prices of 147,500 each way still apply.

Yes guess I forgot the upgrade prices. Not something I ever use so I haven't paid much attention to it. Although if I ever do use it, it will be painful. I have had little problems finding US - Asia J tickets at 70K each way, even Asia - US in September. I only book one ways. I am expecting this to change after June 1.

matthew64832 Nov 9, 2015 5:34 pm

For #3, I've found that SkyMiles are actually even harder to use since the 2015 changes.

javabytes Nov 9, 2015 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by matthew64832 (Post 25688312)
For #3, I've found that SkyMiles are actually even harder to use since the 2015 changes.

I don't disagree. The easy way of using SkyMiles was always partner redemptions. VA has all but disappeared. KE almost never has more than 1 Business class seat offered per flight. Even AF and KL have gotten more tightfisted. Delta has also gotten harder to redeem for lower mileage amounts on their own metal ever since married segment logic came into play a year ago.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Nov 9, 2015 7:21 pm

1) What are Diamond upgrades like these days?

Great if you are on high $$ fare.

2) Can you use the 4 global certificates on any fare?

All Fares but "E" and then you get nothing but seat when Delta says you do.

3) While I know "skypesos" have always been hard to use, has any of that changed now that miles are harder to earn?

No

4) Just want to make sure I read correctly that if you spend over $25k on a DL Amex the min spend is waived. I don't book over $15k/year, so that's why I ask that.

No, you just need the card.

5) How would you say the DL service has changed over the past five years? It seems to have gotten more reliable with fewer cancellations etc.

No better, but better than AA and UA.

6) Do you get unlimited food/drinks when in comfort +?

Only if the FA comes around an unlimited number of times.

Juanefny Nov 9, 2015 7:21 pm

Crazy. These responses make me want to stay on aa.
What percentage of upgrades are diamonds averaging?

DiverDave Nov 9, 2015 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 25688749)

No

I would disagree, the miles have become harder to use in addition to becoming harder (for many) to earn.

David

javabytes Nov 9, 2015 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny (Post 25688751)

We'll see what happens at the gate... but of my next six flights that are within the window, so far I've been upgraded on one.

Ledfish Nov 9, 2015 8:53 pm

I think it really depends on how far out your purchasing (Fare type) and when you are typically flying (during prime business travel times) and what routes in order to get a read on what the upgrade chance are like.

Just to give you an idea, even though I'm just a PM, I am a DTW hub captive purchasing tickets 2 weeks out (no Y,B or M fares) and I travel during peak business hours (Mon/Fri) to/from major metropolitan areas (LGA,BOS,LAX,MSP,ATL,SFO,PHX,DFW) and I'm 3 for 34 this year so far.

bennos Nov 9, 2015 9:02 pm

It really depends on travel patterns. For regional jet flights even as a PM my UG % was decent. Of course, for a 90 minute flight who cares?

For TCON I've mostly been buying premium fares lately, thanks to FCM and B6.

For INTL I confirmed two upgrade certs at booking (apparently hard to do at AA these days) and two are going into the garbage unused (no inventory at booking, did not clear at gate).

J INTL awards are next to impossible to find at reasonable prices unless you're willing to transit China.

DL is operationally excellent. However if you want a comfortable seat on an international flight I'd look elsewhere.

Zorak Nov 9, 2015 11:30 pm

Delta will probably welcome FFs back with open arms:

http://i.imgur.com/Aj1OZhH.png