Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I come back?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I am NYC based. I am usually a PM or a DM. My upgrade percentage is close to 90% on low paid fare classes. I have gotten upgrades on transcons too, not just short haul.

If you're sitting in C+, all it takes to get more drinks is to ask. Easy as that.

I tend to book mileage seats WAY far in advance. I am usually able to find low level J seats, but I certainly have been flexible or inventive.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I am NYC based. I am usually a PM or a DM. My upgrade percentage is close to 90% on low paid fare classes. I have gotten upgrades on transcons too, not just short haul.

If you're sitting in C+, all it takes to get more drinks is to ask. Easy as that.

I tend to book mileage seats WAY far in advance. I am usually able to find low level J seats, but I certainly have been flexible or inventive.
You know... When I flew DL as PLat and then as a charter Diamond, I always batted upgrade percentages above 85%. I always tried to avoid traveling on peak times and would look at seat maps. Delta was going through their merger hickups back then, but aside from that, I was always very happy with them - aside from the platinum BYM upgrade certificates.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I'm in a similar boat. I'm a SAN based 1MM Delta guy, and was Platinum back when I was traveling a lot. Between changing jobs and being disgusted with the gutting of Skymiles, I switched to AA. I'll be EXP this year. But with the announced changes at AA, I'm thinking of status matching EXP over to Plat and going back to DL next year.

Except for Skymiles, I think DL is superior is every way to AA. I still have 500K Skymiles, 880K AA miles, and lots of other points via Credit cards.

Most of my business travel is last minute, and for overseas legs we can do paid J.

So I'm currently thinking to wait until later in this year when I make EXP then match on DL to Plat and shift all biz travel to DL next year. I don't know if I'll make Diamond in 2017, but should easily make 75K miles.

Point of clarification on the Amex and MQD waiver. Is there a min spend on the Amex card, or merely possessing it? And which DL Amex card gives the waiver?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yngdiego
I'm in a similar boat. I'm a SAN based 1MM Delta guy, and was Platinum back when I was traveling a lot. Between changing jobs and being disgusted with the gutting of Skymiles, I switched to AA. I'll be EXP this year. But with the announced changes at AA, I'm thinking of status matching EXP over to Plat and going back to DL next year.

Except for Skymiles, I think DL is superior is every way to AA. I still have 500K Skymiles, 880K AA miles, and lots of other points via Credit cards.

Most of my business travel is last minute, and for overseas legs we can do paid J.

So I'm currently thinking to wait until later in this year when I make EXP then match on DL to Plat and shift all biz travel to DL next year. I don't know if I'll make Diamond in 2017, but should easily make 75K miles.

Point of clarification on the Amex and MQD waiver. Is there a min spend on the Amex card, or merely possessing it? And which DL Amex card gives the waiver?
The Gold, Platinum, and Reserve cards can all be used to earn the waiver, which requires $25,000 in annual spending.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Juanefny
3) While I know "skypesos" have always been hard to use, has any of that changed now that miles are harder to earn?
Well, you've got these answers that are pretty consistent:
Originally Posted by javabytes
3) No
Originally Posted by matthew64832
For #3, I've found that SkyMiles are actually even harder to use since the 2015 changes.
Originally Posted by javabytes
I don't disagree. The easy way of using SkyMiles was always partner redemptions. VA has all but disappeared. KE almost never has more than 1 Business class seat offered per flight. Even AF and KL have gotten more tightfisted. Delta has also gotten harder to redeem for lower mileage amounts on their own metal ever since married segment logic came into play a year ago.
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
No
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I would disagree, the miles have become harder to use in addition to becoming harder (for many) to earn.
Then this 'outlier'
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Award seats getting much better. 4 seats at low level to GCM during 2017 spring break. ATL-NYC many low options. Low options to Europe as well.
My experience is that not only is it easier to find low-level awards now than in past years (in no small part because the award calendar now works pretty well in my experience), the low level awards are now sometimes cheaper than they were in past years, either through temporary sales (e.g., I booked 4 Biz tickets MCI-DTW/ATL-LHR last fall for 87k miles each during one such sale) or the permanent availability of lower level awards on some domestic flights (e.g., MCI-MCO is now 7,500 miles each way at the lowest level, something I have already taken advantage of myself, and it is widely available).
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. At this point I'm really leaning toward coming back to DL. I always had exceptional service from DL and I think the benefits outweigh the downsides.
Any more input is still greatly appreciated. Especially as it pertains to domestic upgrades as that is the one perk that I appreciate most.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny
Thanks for all the responses. At this point I'm really leaning toward coming back to DL. I always had exceptional service from DL and I think the benefits outweigh the downsides.
Any more input is still greatly appreciated. Especially as it pertains to domestic upgrades as that is the one perk that I appreciate most.
As my signature shows, I've been pretty lucky with domestic upgrades. The only two I've missed this year have been DCA-ATL, and vice versa.

I've used one of my regional upgrade certificates so far this year, to snag the last seat on ATL-PDX.

If you generally fly on Monday mornings or Friday evenings, your chances are going to be lower, but that's true of all the airlines. I'm flexible enough to be able to maximize my chances by picking the right times, routes, and days (flying on Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays). I admit that my total is padded somewhat by easier short-hauls on the East Coast. Most longer routes out of ATL are tough without using a certificate, but if you can avoid connections there, your percentage has a chance at being good as a Diamond.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
6) It's not really unlimited. They come through once or twice with the snack basket and with drinks, at least on domestic flights.
On flights of 80-90 minute duration, like DCA-ATL or ATL-PBI, they make one watering run. Thus, in C+, I order two beers. You get 0.5 ounces of peanuts in C+, unless someone is allergic to peanut dust, when you get 0.5 ounces of mini pretzels.

On flights of 3+ hours, you might get two watering runs, but only one chance at the snack basket.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
On flights of 80-90 minute duration, like DCA-ATL or ATL-PBI, they make one watering run. Thus, in C+, I order two beers. You get 0.5 ounces of peanuts in C+, unless someone is allergic to peanut dust, when you get 0.5 ounces of mini pretzels.

On flights of 3+ hours, you might get two watering runs, but only one chance at the snack basket.
On flights with the snack-basket, it totally depends on the crew. Some don't pass it around it all, others only once, some twice.

One of the most maddening things about the C+ experience is the inconsistency. Sometimes you get the same exact service as coach, other times, it feels like an elevated experience. On a recent flight, the FA even gave out hot towels to C+ passengers, and took drink orders down as would be done in FC.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by WWads
On flights with the snack-basket, it totally depends on the crew. Some don't pass it around it all, others only once, some twice.

One of the most maddening things about the C+ experience is the inconsistency. Sometimes you get the same exact service as coach, other times, it feels like an elevated experience. On a recent flight, the FA even gave out hot towels to C+ passengers, and took drink orders down as would be done in FC.
Sitting in C+ Yesterday, the guy and wife next to me wiped out the snack basket on the first run. It wasn't replenished. It was like the bread aisle at Public before a hurricane! Some people have no class.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by WWads
As my signature shows, I've been pretty lucky with domestic upgrades. The only two I've missed this year have been DCA-ATL, and vice versa.

I've used one of my regional upgrade certificates so far this year, to snag the last seat on ATL-PDX.

If you generally fly on Monday mornings or Friday evenings, your chances are going to be lower, but that's true of all the airlines. I'm flexible enough to be able to maximize my chances by picking the right times, routes, and days (flying on Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays). I admit that my total is padded somewhat by easier short-hauls on the East Coast. Most longer routes out of ATL are tough without using a certificate, but if you can avoid connections there, your percentage has a chance at being good as a Diamond.
Time and route dependent for sure and with FCM less upgrades occur all the time.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by yngdiego

yngdiego

As an FYI, DL is not going to status match or offer a challenge when you're a MM/2MM/3MM and are and FO or GM.

If you're thinking of getting into the program do it now. Also with RUC/GUC its different. You don't earn 2016 and 2017 PM/DM benefits like it used to - you now only earn 2017 when you flip into PM/DM as your benefits last until the end of 2017 - so if you wait til next year to start earning then your benefits are 2017/2018 and next time to earn is 2019.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Sitting in C+ Yesterday, the guy and wife next to me wiped out the snack basket on the first run. It wasn't replenished. It was like the bread aisle at Public before a hurricane! Some people have no class.
I would have said something to them, as the FA should have done.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
yngdiego

As an FYI, DL is not going to status match or offer a challenge when you're a MM/2MM/3MM and are and FO or GM.

If you're thinking of getting into the program do it now. Also with RUC/GUC its different. You don't earn 2016 and 2017 PM/DM benefits like it used to - you now only earn 2017 when you flip into PM/DM as your benefits last until the end of 2017 - so if you wait til next year to start earning then your benefits are 2017/2018 and next time to earn is 2019.
Well as a MM if DL won't challenge me to Plat with my AA EXEC status, then I probably won't switch to DL. DL Silver is worthless and I don't want to suffer on DL for 75K+ miles with useless status. If DL wants me back, they should allow a challenge for Plat.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baccarat0809
yngdiego

And as I read it, we should wait until July 1 or after to challenge/match as the status would be good through the end of next year once we match?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.