FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I come back?
View Single Post
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyingWithers

Switch?

Originally Posted by Juanefny
Hello! Some of you may remember me from 4 + years ago when I occasionally posted on this board.

So after trying to convince DL to provide upgrade certificates that could be used on any fare to no avail, I switched to AA about four years ago. I have been their top tier and their lowest tier through the years and have been generally OK with AA. However, with the merger and the upcoming changes to the FFP at AA, I'm beginning to wonder if I should come back to DL. I was one of the "charter Diamonds" when the program came out and my upgrades were near 100%.

So I thought I would post some questions I have since it's been so long since I flew DL and I know lots has changed...
1) What are Diamond upgrades like these days?
2) Can you use the 4 global certificates on any fare?
3) While I know "skypesos" have always been hard to use, has any of that changed now that miles are harder to earn?
4) Just want to make sure I read correctly that if you spend over $25k on a DL Amex the min spend is waived. I don't book over $15k/year, so that's why I ask that.
5) How would you say the DL service has changed over the past five years? It seems to have gotten more reliable with fewer cancellations etc.
6) Do you get unlimited food/drinks when in comfort +?

Hope all of you have been well!
All good questions, but my opinion is get with a good carrier--the one with the most flights in and out of your airport--and stick with it. UA, DL, and AA, for example, are--or will soon be the same--regarding flyer programs. AA just became DL-like.

JetBlue and Southwest are good, but they don't go where I often go: SIN, KUL, LHR, AMS, CDG, etc. So, select one and go with it. They will be or are now darn near the same.

Someone once asked Nelson Mandela why he was not more angry. His answer was, “If I thought it would be useful, I would be.”