Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status / Diamond on Dollars Alone ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Ledfish
Just to clarify for others, you are saying that because your MQD's exceed that of a DM, they may bump someone up from FO to GM.
According to the Rep I talked to today they have moved some people to GM but not PM or DM.

As a MSP based flier you are penalized by higher fairs and direct flights to smaller airports. I have looked to switch and just arrive 2-3 hours later by taking American or Untied. If I lived in OMA and went to the same places I do now it racks up the MQS.

I am sure in a few years it will go to a sole MQD to miles formula.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Not that unusual. I have seen it many times on Delta. Know someone that just
spend $35,000.00 on tickets first class to Male (not on Delta). And he bought three of them. Far more common than you might think.
But that's F, not J. My question was specifically for a non-discounted, single ticket on DL for greater than $17k (required to get the MQD 15k mentioned upthread). Point being that there simply aren't that many tickets that price out that high, and for the handful that do, I suspect a large portion of buyers are corporate travelers eligible for "big" discounts on full fare tickets.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One can spend $35K to fly private from Boston to Wichita. It's not going to get anybody from the USA to Male.
The traveler spent $105,000 not $35,000. He bought three tickets. Still not enough to fly private but getting closer.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Status / Diamond on Dollars Alone ?

Buying 10k MQMs and a cheap 3k MQM flight will get you Gold.

Diamond will NOT happen unless you put down 100k on DPJ which can be used on regular Delta flights.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:49 pm

I wish.

I fly 6/year business international at 10-15k each. With some domestic flights I hit 117k this year but had 10k rollover so I'll be diamond again. But my dollars are in the $80k range. They should have a 75k mqd diamond here's hold IMO.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I am kind of with the OP. I am still trying to figure out why they care at all about MQMs and MQDs.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by smithsonga
I wish.

I fly 6/year business international at 10-15k each. With some domestic flights I hit 117k this year but had 10k rollover so I'll be diamond again. But my dollars are in the $80k range. They should have a 75k mqd diamond here's hold IMO.
If you have $80,000 MQDs, I'm surprised that you're not suggesting a $79,999 MQD requirement for DM.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by emrdoc
The traveler spent $105,000 not $35,000. He bought three tickets. Still not enough to fly private but getting closer.
I too would have thought that for not a huge amount over $100,000, one could take a private jet to Mali or even the specific island of one's resort hotel. This is a destination which would be awkward for scheduled commercial connections.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I too would have thought that for not a huge amount over $100,000, one could take a private jet to Mali or even the specific island of one's resort hotel. This is a destination which would be awkward for scheduled commercial connections.
You could, just not on Delta Private Jets. As one could imagine, their hourly operating charges are a little on the high end.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:56 am

One could also try to fly commercial nonstop to some convenient "nearby" airport like SIN and pick up the private jet to Mali there.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Ledfish
You could, just not on Delta Private Jets. As one could imagine, their hourly operating charges are a little on the high end.
But how would you get home?

US to Male is about 9000 miles
That is about 15 hours flying time

A private jet with a range of 5-6000 miles (so one technical fuel stop) would cost about $10,000 an hour including fuel, international fees, repositioning of pilots etc

So a round trip would be $300,000 or thereabouts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackplum
Buying 10k MQMs and a cheap 3k MQM flight will get you Gold.

Diamond will NOT happen unless you put down 100k on DPJ which can be used on regular Delta flights.
I'm pretty sure that Delta 360 membership grants Diamond status (even if you haven't met the miles/segments requirements). There are a few posts from people who gotten the DL 360 invite with less than $100K of spend.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by LBJ
I'm pretty sure that Delta 360 membership grants Diamond status (even if you haven't met the miles/segments requirements). There are a few posts from people who gotten the DL 360 invite with less than $100K of spend.
Yes and there has been an occasional report on this forum about DL reaching out and giving higher statuses based on spend alone, but this was in the $50K+ range. OP is nowhere near the kind of spend to qualify.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by indufan
I am kind of with the OP. I am still trying to figure out why they care at all about MQMs and MQDs.
I'm trying to understand why they care about anything other than MQDs. If you meant to say MQMs and MQSs, then I believe we're in agreement.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Yes and there has been an occasional report on this forum about DL reaching out and giving higher statuses based on spend alone, but this was in the $50K+ range. OP is nowhere near the kind of spend to qualify.
This is true

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.