Wiki Posts
Search

Status / Diamond on Dollars Alone ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK; DL PM; UA GS; HH DI; MR TTM; AVIS CC

Apologies if this has been covered, tried to search with no luck.

I buy almost all my travel very last minute on very high cost (often short distance) routes. As a result, I am in the situation now where I have only 37k MQMs and 17 segments, but my MQDs are well past the Diamond mark at over $15k MQD spend (Moved this year, so only started flying Delta in June).

Seems to me I am the ideal patron for them to give Diamond to, I incur the least cost for them (they use up very little inventory on me) yet generate high revenue. My cost per mile dwarfs most fliers I know.

However, since it is a Miles/Segments AND Dollars, I am hosed. My 2015 status is Silver.

Anyone know if Delta ever waivers and gives out higher status based on spend ?

Appreciate the insight, as I am new to Delta - primarily flew American until late this year. AA handled the issue by giving me Concierge Key, but haven't read of any similar Delta programs.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Wait a couple years and DL will probably be awarding status only on MQDs. Until then, $100k at DPJ will get you DM.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If your MQDs were ten times what they are, there might be a chance of something special IMO, but I would guess that most DMs spend more on DL tickets than you have. The minimum is likely to be binding only for people who tend to look very hard for cheap destinations and fares. Most business travelers don't have much flexibility and spend far more than ten cents per mile on average.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Delta has a CK-like program, Delta 360, but no, Delta won't give a Silver Diamond status based on spend alone.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Unfortunately, no. But if you will get the 30K MQM from AMEX spending, you will at least bump up to Gold.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by axe1982

I buy almost all my travel very last minute on very high cost (often short distance) routes. As a result, I am in the situation now where I have only 37k MQMs and 17 segments, but my MQDs are well past the Diamond mark at over $15k MQD spend (Moved this year, so only started flying Delta in June).
Not going to happen. Plus, I hate to say it, but many people will spend more on one ticket than your spend so far this year.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Seems to me I am the ideal patron for them to give Diamond to, I incur the least cost for them (they use up very little inventory on me) yet generate high revenue. My cost per mile dwarfs most fliers I know.
Just to be clear, the MQD system isn't to reward you, it's to get you to spend more. You can either spend more (to up your MQM total) or you can call it quits at Silver. Exactly as designed.

Amusingly, I'm in a similar camp this year (but without quite the discrepancy). I could meet DM MQD, but will only be at ~95 MQM (and even then only thanks to ~20k rollover). My solution? Drop to PM starting March and shop around more for the best flights to match my needs.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Not going to happen. Plus, I hate to say it, but many people will spend more on one ticket than your spend so far this year.
How many people buy a single, non-discounted DL ticket at $17k or higher?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
This is why DL came up with the Miles/Segments AND MQD. $15K or $30K would be nowhere near what they want to give Diamond away for.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bennos
How many people buy a single, non-discounted DL ticket at $17k or higher?
Not that unusual. I have seen it many times on Delta. Know someone that just
spend $35,000.00 on tickets first class to Male (not on Delta). And he bought three of them. Far more common than you might think.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite

However, since it is a Miles/Segments AND Dollars, I am hosed. My 2015 status is Silver.

Anyone know if Delta ever waivers and gives out higher status based on spend ?

Appreciate the insight, as I am new to Delta - primarily flew American until late this year. AA handled the issue by giving me Concierge Key, but haven't read of any similar Delta programs.
I am in a similar boat as you with some differences. First, I usually by tickets at 21 days out . I am at $12,148 but after my MSP-LAX and back next week it will jump to $13,478. I am at 35,562 MQM and 46 MQS.

Today I called Delta to inquire about an upgrade to FC Monday on my MSP-LAX flight. To my surprise was offered a 12,500 miles usage to move or have my ticket fare class change to result in non refundable restriction and pay $6 to move into FC on Outbound and Return Flight.

During the conversation of a really nice agent noticed my MQD and suggested the AMEX to achieve gold. I dont want another CC so I passed. He did tell me to email Delta and explain my Status and MQD's and request a Medallion status change. He said when people clear MQD;s of DM they have bumped people to the next level when they are close to that status.

I dont think on spend alone should get a person move from FO to DM but gaining another level would be nice. As everyone knows things change a fair amount as GM vs FO.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
I am in a similar boat as you with some differences. First, I usually by tickets at 21 days out . I am at $12,148 but after my MSP-LAX and back next week it will jump to $13,478. I am at 35,562 MQM and 46 MQS.

Today I called Delta to inquire about an upgrade to FC Monday on my MSP-LAX flight. To my surprise was offered a 12,500 miles usage to move or have my ticket fare class change to result in non refundable restriction and pay $6 to move into FC on Outbound and Return Flight.

During the conversation of a really nice agent noticed my MQD and suggested the AMEX to achieve gold. I dont want another CC so I passed. He did tell me to email Delta and explain my Status and MQD's and request a Medallion status change. He said when people clear MQD;s of DM they have bumped people to the next level when they are close to that status.

I dont think on spend alone should get a person move from FO to DM but gaining another level would be nice. As everyone knows things change a fair amount as GM vs FO.
Just to clarify for others, you are saying that because your MQD's exceed that of a DM, they may bump someone up from FO to GM.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by orca15
(Un) fortunately, no. But if you will get the 30K MQM from AMEX spending, you will at least bump up to Gold.
Fixed it for ya...
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Not that unusual. I have seen it many times on Delta. Know someone that just
spend $35,000.00 on tickets first class to Male (not on Delta). And he bought three of them. Far more common than you might think.
Whoever did this was an idiot. Private or shopping around is much cheaper...

TFD
Old Dec 12, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
Whoever did this was an idiot. Private or shopping around is much cheaper...

TFD
One can spend $35K to fly private from Boston to Wichita. It's not going to get anybody from the USA to Male.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.