FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Status / Diamond on Dollars Alone ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1636719-status-diamond-dollars-alone.html)

axe1982 Dec 12, 2014 11:43 am

Status / Diamond on Dollars Alone ?

Apologies if this has been covered, tried to search with no luck.

I buy almost all my travel very last minute on very high cost (often short distance) routes. As a result, I am in the situation now where I have only 37k MQMs and 17 segments, but my MQDs are well past the Diamond mark at over $15k MQD spend (Moved this year, so only started flying Delta in June).

Seems to me I am the ideal patron for them to give Diamond to, I incur the least cost for them (they use up very little inventory on me) yet generate high revenue. My cost per mile dwarfs most fliers I know.

However, since it is a Miles/Segments AND Dollars, I am hosed. My 2015 status is Silver.

Anyone know if Delta ever waivers and gives out higher status based on spend ?

Appreciate the insight, as I am new to Delta - primarily flew American until late this year. AA handled the issue by giving me Concierge Key, but haven't read of any similar Delta programs.

gooselee Dec 12, 2014 11:49 am

Status / Diamond on Dollars Alone ?

Wait a couple years and DL will probably be awarding status only on MQDs. Until then, $100k at DPJ will get you DM.

MSPeconomist Dec 12, 2014 11:49 am

If your MQDs were ten times what they are, there might be a chance of something special IMO, but I would guess that most DMs spend more on DL tickets than you have. The minimum is likely to be binding only for people who tend to look very hard for cheap destinations and fares. Most business travelers don't have much flexibility and spend far more than ten cents per mile on average.

jspira Dec 12, 2014 11:50 am

Delta has a CK-like program, Delta 360, but no, Delta won't give a Silver Diamond status based on spend alone.

orca15 Dec 12, 2014 11:50 am

Unfortunately, no. But if you will get the 30K MQM from AMEX spending, you will at least bump up to Gold.

Mr. Tickets Dec 12, 2014 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by axe1982 (Post 23986451)

I buy almost all my travel very last minute on very high cost (often short distance) routes. As a result, I am in the situation now where I have only 37k MQMs and 17 segments, but my MQDs are well past the Diamond mark at over $15k MQD spend (Moved this year, so only started flying Delta in June).

Not going to happen. Plus, I hate to say it, but many people will spend more on one ticket than your spend so far this year.

bennos Dec 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Seems to me I am the ideal patron for them to give Diamond to, I incur the least cost for them (they use up very little inventory on me) yet generate high revenue. My cost per mile dwarfs most fliers I know.

Just to be clear, the MQD system isn't to reward you, it's to get you to spend more. You can either spend more (to up your MQM total) or you can call it quits at Silver. Exactly as designed.

Amusingly, I'm in a similar camp this year (but without quite the discrepancy). I could meet DM MQD, but will only be at ~95 MQM (and even then only thanks to ~20k rollover). My solution? Drop to PM starting March and shop around more for the best flights to match my needs.

bennos Dec 12, 2014 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets (Post 23986990)
Not going to happen. Plus, I hate to say it, but many people will spend more on one ticket than your spend so far this year.

How many people buy a single, non-discounted DL ticket at $17k or higher?

CDKing Dec 12, 2014 2:52 pm

This is why DL came up with the Miles/Segments AND MQD. $15K or $30K would be nowhere near what they want to give Diamond away for.

Mr. Tickets Dec 12, 2014 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 23987581)
How many people buy a single, non-discounted DL ticket at $17k or higher?

Not that unusual. I have seen it many times on Delta. Know someone that just
spend $35,000.00 on tickets first class to Male (not on Delta). And he bought three of them. Far more common than you might think.

BigDawg23 Dec 12, 2014 3:56 pm

However, since it is a Miles/Segments AND Dollars, I am hosed. My 2015 status is Silver.

Anyone know if Delta ever waivers and gives out higher status based on spend ?

Appreciate the insight, as I am new to Delta - primarily flew American until late this year. AA handled the issue by giving me Concierge Key, but haven't read of any similar Delta programs.

I am in a similar boat as you with some differences. First, I usually by tickets at 21 days out . I am at $12,148 but after my MSP-LAX and back next week it will jump to $13,478. I am at 35,562 MQM and 46 MQS.

Today I called Delta to inquire about an upgrade to FC Monday on my MSP-LAX flight. To my surprise was offered a 12,500 miles usage to move or have my ticket fare class change to result in non refundable restriction and pay $6 to move into FC on Outbound and Return Flight.

During the conversation of a really nice agent noticed my MQD and suggested the AMEX to achieve gold. I dont want another CC so I passed. He did tell me to email Delta and explain my Status and MQD's and request a Medallion status change. He said when people clear MQD;s of DM they have bumped people to the next level when they are close to that status.

I dont think on spend alone should get a person move from FO to DM but gaining another level would be nice. As everyone knows things change a fair amount as GM vs FO.

Ledfish Dec 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by BigDawg23 (Post 23987894)
I am in a similar boat as you with some differences. First, I usually by tickets at 21 days out . I am at $12,148 but after my MSP-LAX and back next week it will jump to $13,478. I am at 35,562 MQM and 46 MQS.

Today I called Delta to inquire about an upgrade to FC Monday on my MSP-LAX flight. To my surprise was offered a 12,500 miles usage to move or have my ticket fare class change to result in non refundable restriction and pay $6 to move into FC on Outbound and Return Flight.

During the conversation of a really nice agent noticed my MQD and suggested the AMEX to achieve gold. I dont want another CC so I passed. He did tell me to email Delta and explain my Status and MQD's and request a Medallion status change. He said when people clear MQD;s of DM they have bumped people to the next level when they are close to that status.

I dont think on spend alone should get a person move from FO to DM but gaining another level would be nice. As everyone knows things change a fair amount as GM vs FO.

Just to clarify for others, you are saying that because your MQD's exceed that of a DM, they may bump someone up from FO to GM.

Frogbone Dec 12, 2014 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by orca15 (Post 23986487)
(Un) fortunately, no. But if you will get the 30K MQM from AMEX spending, you will at least bump up to Gold.

Fixed it for ya...

Task Force DL Dec 12, 2014 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets (Post 23987709)
Not that unusual. I have seen it many times on Delta. Know someone that just
spend $35,000.00 on tickets first class to Male (not on Delta). And he bought three of them. Far more common than you might think.

Whoever did this was an idiot. Private or shopping around is much cheaper...

TFD

3Cforme Dec 12, 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Task Force DL (Post 23988491)
Whoever did this was an idiot. Private or shopping around is much cheaper...

TFD

One can spend $35K to fly private from Boston to Wichita. It's not going to get anybody from the USA to Male.