Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status / Diamond on Dollars Alone ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Yes and there has been an occasional report on this forum about DL reaching out and giving higher statuses based on spend alone, but this was in the $50K+ range. OP is nowhere near the kind of spend to qualify.
I know someone who was lucky enough to have this happen last year. Their spend significantly outpaced miles. I believe they were in the $75K range for only about half a year. It didn't really matter to them though because they were already buying fully refundable F or J, so about the only benefit of status to them was CS for irrops and making changes to their itinerary.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:55 am

Does purchasing the DPJ 100K card put you into Delta 360 as well as the comp Diamond ?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Does purchasing the DPJ 100K card put you into Delta 360 as well as the comp Diamond ?
What does it matter? You have DM and have plunked down $100k to buy whatever you need on DL.

I would hope that someone who can place that sort of deposit on plane tickets is also able to arrange their own rides to the airport, etc.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 2:39 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by smithsonga
I wish.

I fly 6/year business international at 10-15k each. With some domestic flights I hit 117k this year but had 10k rollover so I'll be diamond again. But my dollars are in the $80k range. They should have a 75k mqd diamond here's hold IMO.
If you're spending that much on Delta flights every year, you should probably be using a Delta Private Jets card. Spend $100K on the card, get $100K in credit that you can use for DPJ or regular Delta flights within 2 years...and get instant complimentary Diamond Medallion. No worries about MQMs/MQSs that way.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by axe1982
Apologies if this has been covered, tried to search with no luck.

I buy almost all my travel very last minute on very high cost (often short distance) routes. As a result, I am in the situation now where I have only 37k MQMs and 17 segments, but my MQDs are well past the Diamond mark at over $15k MQD spend (Moved this year, so only started flying Delta in June).

Seems to me I am the ideal patron for them to give Diamond to, I incur the least cost for them (they use up very little inventory on me) yet generate high revenue. My cost per mile dwarfs most fliers I know.

However, since it is a Miles/Segments AND Dollars, I am hosed. My 2015 status is Silver.

Anyone know if Delta ever waivers and gives out higher status based on spend ?

Appreciate the insight, as I am new to Delta - primarily flew American until late this year. AA handled the issue by giving me Concierge Key, but haven't read of any similar Delta programs.

preaching to the choir here. I was silver with $20k spend at one point this year due to always having to buy very last minute refundable fc fares. Would love to see a way to qualify just on dollars.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 5:55 pm

One million miler ++ here. Been Diamond for 5+ years. Started working local contract soon to be back on the road. Was $30.00 short of Platinum with 175MQM's and have a $500.00 ticket credit from back in Feb of this year. Delta would NOT apply the $30.00 Why wouldn't you put some unpublished wiggle room to take care of your top tear FF'ers? Thank me for my business? I don't think so. Actions speak louder than words Delta!
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
But how would you get home?

US to Male is about 9000 miles
That is about 15 hours flying time

A private jet with a range of 5-6000 miles (so one technical fuel stop) would cost about $10,000 an hour including fuel, international fees, repositioning of pilots etc

So a round trip would be $300,000 or thereabouts
I inquired and the ONE-WAY costs depending on the type of jet (light jet which would then require multiple fuel stops, upto a 767) would run anywhere from 150k to 1.1m. Each way, from MSP-MLE, so round trip your right on the dot, 300k would be on the lower end but doable
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by smithsonga
They should have a 75k mqd diamond here's hold IMO.
What does that mean exactly?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK; DL PM; UA GS; HH DI; MR TTM; AVIS CC
Realized I never closed the loop on this, since I was the one who opened the thread in the first place.

Late Jan of this year I got a "In recognition of your revenue commitment to Delta..." note and Platinum Medallion.

To some of the conversation that started here, we can argue all day long if $100k vs. $30k is big spend. What I can't get the argument about at all is why high miles = status at all in a non-regulated world.

Airline shareholders want the most spend (revenue) for the fewest miles (cost), the program should be tuned to reward that behavior.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Realized I never closed the loop on this, since I was the one who opened the thread in the first place.

Late Jan of this year I got a "In recognition of your revenue commitment to Delta..." note and Platinum Medallion.

To some of the conversation that started here, we can argue all day long if $100k vs. $30k is big spend. What I can't get the argument about at all is why high miles = status at all in a non-regulated world.

Airline shareholders want the most spend (revenue) for the fewest miles (cost), the program should be tuned to reward that behavior.
So you would give top tier status to someone who purchases one ticket on DL annually, but it's FULL F for a flight under 500 miles?

Note that high revenue or high revenue per mile flown is not the same as profit.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So you would give top tier status to someone who purchases one ticket on DL annually, but it's FULL F for a flight under 500 miles?

Note that high revenue or high revenue per mile flown is not the same as profit.
For clarity, I should have stated "explicitly" that total revenue is a component along with how the revenue comes in. I assumed that the readers would get that in a discussion of maximizing profit, there would be some sort of minimum revenue criteria for status. My bad in presuming understanding by the reader that by definition status would come with tiers, regardless of what the criteria (revenue vs. miles vs. whatever).

Doesn't change the crux of the argument. All things being equal an airline would rather fly me 1,000 miles for $1,000 than they would like to fly me 8,000 miles for the same $1,000. You are correct that revenue does not equal profit, never said it does. What I implied is that higher revenue per mile is an extremely important factor that airlines want and as such should orientate their programs that way (which by the way, they are starting to, as my original post and resulting action from Delta prove).
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Care to disclose what your final MQM, MQD, and MQS were at the end of 2014? And perhaps your location?

If you are NYC or SEA based, getting a status bump doesn't exactly make you a special snowflake.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
Care to disclose what your final MQM, MQD, and MQS were at the end of 2014? And perhaps your location?

If you are NYC or SEA based, getting a status bump doesn't exactly make you a special snowflake.
Just relocated to NYC, so Platinum is far far far from making me a special snowflake here, I am just a step ahead of "would you mind holding this box of cargo on your lap for the duration of the flight sir" level... but I take what I can get.

As to final status, sure. Reminder that I moved mid year, so 90% of the below activity happened over the last 3 months of the year.

Final MQM: 37,406
Final Actual Miles Flown: 23,792
Final MQD: 18,688
Spend per Mile Flown: $0.785

I am assuming it was the high spend per mile combined with the short period of time it was spent over that triggered the bump, but who knows.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
Just relocated to NYC, so Platinum is far far far from making me a special snowflake here, I am just a step ahead of "would you mind holding this box of cargo on your lap for the duration of the flight sir" level... but I take what I can get.
Our Southern equivalent of your description would be "lower than pond scum"

That's what my current status is . . . for now.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014
Our Southern equivalent of your description would be "lower than pond scum"

That's what my current status is . . . for now.
It's "pond scum, sir."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.