Wiki Posts
Search

Flew in F on AS today..hated it

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Flew in F on AS today..hated it

What can I say? I guess DL has spoiled me.

1) No power ports so I had to use that silly "e-tablet" or whatever to charge my iPad. My iPad killed its battery and only went up to about 60 percent from 20. LOL

2) No choice for a meal. They only had meatball subs. Really? Yuck. Skipped it.

3) Plane was old and tired looking...I remember flying AS in the early 00s and everything seemed new/fresh/nice.

4) No PDB. None. Not even water offered.

5) Baggage limitations are such that you can only bring two 50-lb bags. No 3x70 for free which hurt because I have to take equipment for the course I deliver. Bag fees totaled almost 100 bucks today.

bottom line. I just relocated back to PDX (Mods, can I change my user name to JulienPDX? ) and I will sometimes have to take AS to get to Anchorage especially since DL wants to fly me through SLC and make it take all day...but if this is what I can expect for service..it might be worth the extra 4 hours of my time.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:14 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by JulienMSP

...5) Baggage limitations are such that you can only bring two 50-lb bags. No 3x70 for free which hurt because I have to take equipment for the course I deliver. Bag fees totaled almost 100 bucks today.

...bottom line. I just relocated back to PDX (Mods, can I change my user name to JulienPDX? )
Ouch...I think the baggage fee would be the only thing I would be upset over, personally. That DOES suck!

Ahh...I miss Portland...lived there my whole life until 2011. I have the ability to transfer back home at anytime, but man....I LOVE living in Arizona....
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
AS F used to be one of the finest in the sky. Then, they made it upgrade class. The rest is history.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
just manage your expectations ... you said it yourself ... "DL has spoiled me"
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

who knew DL had done that though? i guess I didn't.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Mods, can I change my user name to JulienPDX?
Moderators have no control over the changing of user names on FlyerTalk; and I believe you are allowed only one name change — so be absolutely sure as to what FlyerTalk name you want to change it.

I will have alerted SanDiego1k — who is the community director of FlyerTalk — by the time you read this and can assist with your request.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
just manage your expectations ... you said it yourself ... "DL has spoiled me"
Exactly - though I did enjoy AS F personally myself. Not DL but it was at least F.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
AS and DD are different airlines with different F products. There are some areas where AS excels and some areas where DL excels.

1. In-seat power is coming to most AS aircraft. Not all F seats on DL have in-seat power either.

2. Passengers seated in F on AS can get the hot meal served in Y or the Y cheese plate for free if any are left after Y is served.

3. It depends on the aircraft. AS is retiring the 734s and 73Gs within the next couple of years as more 73Hs and 739ERs enter the fleet.

4. AS FAs will often serve cups of water before departure. It's been mentioned that AS is prohibited from leaving DL-style mini water bottles on seats by its FAA regulators. In addition, the mini water bottles cost a lot more than cups of water.

5. Other airlines have similar policies. However you can check a case of wine for free when leaving Oregon starting this May as well as selected airports in WA and CA.

AS has a great selection of locally made liquors and unlike DL, recycles plastic, glass, and aluminum on all of its flights unless the waste from the flight is required by law to be incinerated.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

I will say this; the board room is the awesome. I'm sad that we will most likely lose access to it this year since Delta is still throwing its hissy fit in Seattle.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
5. Other airlines have similar policies. However you can check a case of wine for free when leaving Oregon starting this May as well as selected airports in WA and CA.

AS has a great selection of locally made liquors
Cute: Support the local industry.

BTW, what are these locally made liquors? Cognac from California?

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 21, 2014 at 8:57 pm
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
AS and DL are different airlines with different F products. There are some areas where AS excels and some areas where DL excels. ...
Passengers seated in F on AS can get the hot meal served in Y or the Y cheese plate ...
I was in BE on DL, SEA-JFK, last week ... requested and received one of the EC Luvo wraps rather than the BE lunch entree

again, it's about managing your expectations
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
I looked at AS FC for a trip to Hawaii this fall. The 36" pitch in FC on AS was the primary deciding factor that drove me toward HA, despite AS being about $200 cheaper per ticket. 36" of pitch in First Class is basically equal to Economy Comfort on DL. No thanks.

bottom line. I just relocated back to PDX (Mods, can I change my user name to JulienPDX? ) and I will sometimes have to take AS to get to Anchorage especially since DL wants to fly me through SLC and make it take all day...but if this is what I can expect for service..it might be worth the extra 4 hours of my time.
Won't help much through most of the summer but DL is starting PDX-SEA in September and will also be running SEA-ANC (not sure if that's going to just be seasonal or year round) so DL will be an option, unless you prefer the nonstop from PDX to SEA.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I have flown about 40,000 miles in DL first on A/P fares the past 12 months and as an AS flyer thought I would share my thoughts on DL if anyone cares.

DL does do a good job of the PDB. Almost always get it unless a delay is involved and even then sometimes get one. Has always baffled me why AS doesn't do it.

I have been on several very tired looking DL aircraft (757, A320 and A319) with no power either. A 5 hour flight from ATL-PDX late last year had nothing once (737-800). No power, internet or programming. If you were on AS 737-700 or 737-400 yes they are tired aircraft.

Overall the service has been solid and no complaints on any flight that I can remember.

Meal wise there is a chicken salad that has been offered more often than not that is nothing to write home about (way too much blue cheese). Had a couple of decent burgers recently and like the fresh fruit. I agree with the OP that AS catering in general is nothing to write home about though and is pretty weak overall. I like the snack basket DL offers and should be standard on all airlines.

I think DL does a good job but in no way do I think they are head and shoulders above any other carrier I have flown in F.

Not sure this seat flight on an A320 or 757 (think it was SLC-PDX and was mid 2013) is the best that DL has to offer. Edges were really sharp.

Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
4. AS FAs will often serve cups of water before departure. It's been mentioned that AS is prohibited from leaving DL-style mini water bottles on seats by its FAA regulators. In addition, the mini water bottles cost a lot more than cups of water.
Why does AS not serve PDB? (excluding cups of water)

AS's FAA regulators prohibit AS from leaving DL-style mini water bottles on seats?? What does this mean? Why does AS have its own FAA regulators? Why would they not belong to the same FAA organization? Why would AS be prohibited and not DL?

AS... unlike DL, recycles plastic, glass, and aluminum on all of its flights unless the waste from the flight is required by law to be incinerated.
DL does not recycle? Really??

What plastic, glass and aluminum needs to be incinerated as required by law?

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
I looked at AS FC for a trip to Hawaii this fall. The 36" pitch in FC on AS was the primary deciding factor that drove me toward HA, despite AS being about $200 cheaper per ticket. 36" of pitch in First Class is basically equal to Economy Comfort on DL. No thanks.
DL offers a whopping 37" pitch in F.

Originally Posted by apodo77
I agree with the OP that AS catering in general is nothing to write home about though and is pretty weak overall.
The plate served on a bare tray table with no placemat drives me nuts. Just doesn't seem clean after seeing people change diapers, cut finger nails, etc on tray tables.

And yes, I'm one of those people who travels with a packet of Clorox disinfecting wipes -- don't touch the remote control in the hotel room without disinfecting it first!

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 21, 2014 at 9:51 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by FitTraveler
DL offers a whopping 37" pitch in F.
But HA offers 45" with better seats on their A330s. I was comparing to HA and saying why I went with HA over AS. Based on the difference in seat pitch between AS and HA and reading a couple reviews about AS First Class Service on here, I'm glad I chose HA over AS, despite AS being cheaper (I checked DL as well, and they were charging 50% more than what HA was charging, for what I already know is a substandard product compared to HA from SEA to HNL on a 757-300).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.