Wiki Posts
Search

Flew in F on AS today..hated it

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I just think that you should call things what they are, when there is some significance with regard to the name.
But what is the significance? That some lawmaker said "this is a protected name?" I think it leads to obfuscation, particularly in the wine world, and the DOC/AOC rules prevent more information being conveyed to the consumer, rather than less.

At any rate, I think we are pretty far from the topic of this thread. To which I'll add: I don't get the fuss over AS. I've flown them in F and Y and thought them okay, but inferior to DL in terms of in-flight product.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
I have flown about 40,000 miles in DL first on A/P fares the past 12 months and as an AS flyer thought I would share my thoughts on DL if anyone cares.

DL does do a good job of the PDB. Almost always get it unless a delay is involved and even then sometimes get one. Has always baffled me why AS doesn't do it.

I have been on several very tired looking DL aircraft (757, A320 and A319) with no power either. A 5 hour flight from ATL-PDX late last year had nothing once (737-800). No power, internet or programming. If you were on AS 737-700 or 737-400 yes they are tired aircraft.

Overall the service has been solid and no complaints on any flight that I can remember.

Meal wise there is a chicken salad that has been offered more often than not that is nothing to write home about (way too much blue cheese). Had a couple of decent burgers recently and like the fresh fruit. I agree with the OP that AS catering in general is nothing to write home about though and is pretty weak overall. I like the snack basket DL offers and should be standard on all airlines.

I think DL does a good job but in no way do I think they are head and shoulders above any other carrier I have flown in F.

Not sure this seat flight on an A320 or 757 (think it was SLC-PDX and was mid 2013) is the best that DL has to offer. Edges were really sharp.

Not even gogo? Was it broken?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Passover is officially OVER in a few hours! I see bread, pasta and bacon in my future.
That is why I believe in God -he gave us Bacon. ^
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:42 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
That is why I believe in God -he gave us Bacon. ^
Well, if you say so. I don't personally believe in God; or anything else such as this.

I'm culturally Jewish; I do a "lot" of things to make my wife happy. But, I also do things to connect me to my identity, and keep traditions going. (the traditions, the past, it's all related; and very important to not forget...) I'm not anti-religion, I just don't get very caught up in the "God-belief" mechanisms.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CDKing
Here is an old post on the AS side explaining why AS cannot have water bottles. I'm sure the little water bottle pocket on DL seat back has somethng to do with why DL has the bottles.

Here is an old post on the AS side explaining why AS cannot have water bottles. I'm sure the little water bottle pocket on DL seat back has somethng to do with why DL has the bottles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AS Flyer View Post

Actually, at least one FAA inspector has decided to enforce a decades old FAA regulation. That regulation says that ALL onboard service items must be collected or stowed in an approved stowage location prior to take-off/landing. The seat pocket is only approved for soft items (magazine, newspapers, basically paper items). SO, the water bottles can not go in the seat pocket and you can not hold them for take-off/landing. Strangely enough, you can hold a water bottle YOU brought on but not the one we gave you. When another airline does a full pre-departure beverage service they generally always pick up the cups, empty or not, before sitting down. Anyway - this Flight Attendant seems to have taken it up on herself to interpret this rule on her own. The company has only asked that we pick up all water bottles prior to being seated before take-off. They (being management) NEVER told us not to pass the water out prior to take-off. The funny thing is, this has been the rule all along. The company reposted it and let us know that the FAA is, apparently, vigirously enforcing it. Odd that ANY Flight Attendant would pretend they didn't know this before.
And I've run across a couple of DL flights where they collected the water bottles prior to departure to comply with the regulations.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
While all airlines are supposed to collect cups and bottles before departure. Some FAs are more lenient about it, just someone at AS was a bit more literal with the rules. Many of the DL connection carriers like Compass that lay the water in the cup holders just ensure that it's secured prior to take off.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; IHG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz Five*; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I am also not impressed by AS first class. The ugly carpeting on the bulkhead feels so outdated and nasty. Also, I have found the service to be a bit too casual. For example, the official policy is that the F lav is open to use by Y pax except on international flights (so flights to Canada). Also, on more than one flight on AS I have noticed an obviously dirty cabin upon boarding....food on the floor, etc.
Your comment about their "official policy" is completely false. Where did you find this official policy? Every AS flight I'm on includes at least one, sometimes two, announcements that the front lavatory is designated for first class cabin and lines shouldn't be formed at either lavatory. I don't expect a flight attendant to tackle someone who makes a run from row 10 to the front.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:51 pm

Here's the real question, what's the adult beverage selection like on AS?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Cute: Support the local industry.

BTW, what are these locally made liquors? Cognac from California?
Anchor Distilling (sister company to Anchor Brewing of Anchor Steam fame) has been making Rye Whiskey (Old Potrero) for years and now does some other spirits (Hophead Vodka, Junipero Gin and others)

Actually, a lot of brewers have been moving into craft spirits. With all the breweries in Oregon and Washington and I'm there are many up there as well.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I am also not impressed by AS first class. The ugly carpeting on the bulkhead feels so outdated and nasty. Also, I have found the service to be a bit too casual. For example, the official policy is that the F lav is open to use by Y pax except on international flights (so flights to Canada). Also, on more than one flight on AS I have noticed an obviously dirty cabin upon boarding....food on the floor, etc.
Agreed.

AS minuses:
No PDB
I think the plastic cup of water quickly offered then taken away is tacky
No IFE
Few seats with AC power, even USB
Skimpy F meals and snacks

AS plusses:
Better NW regional wines and spirits
BoardRoom's and amenities
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by klsteph
Your comment about their "official policy" is completely false. Where did you find this official policy? Every AS flight I'm on includes at least one, sometimes two, announcements that the front lavatory is designated for first class cabin and lines shouldn't be formed at either lavatory. I don't expect a flight attendant to tackle someone who makes a run from row 10 to the front.
They come through just as often on Delta as well
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by motytrah
Here's the real question, what's the adult beverage selection like on AS?
Wine
A rotating selection of reds and whites. This month:
House Wine Chardonnay (Washington)
Perimeter Merlot (Washington)

Beer
Alaskan Amber, Budweiser, Miller Lite and, on Mexico Flights, Corona

Liquor
Sun Liquor Gin, Sun Liquor Rum, Sun Liquor Vodka, Crater Lake Hazelnut Espresso Vodka, Courvoisier Cognac, Sauza Tequila, Dewar's White Label Scotch, Jack Daniel's Black Label, Seagram's Crown Royal, Bailey's Irish Cream

On Horizon, local microbrews and wine (changes monthly).

btw, the Crater Lake Vodka is distilled ~10 miles from my home and I visit the tasting room regularly

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.