Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consensus on the Delta 777 business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 5:49 am
Original Poster

OK, just to get it out of the way, I’m very happy to fly in business, and much prefer it over coach. But am I the only one who doesn’t like the arrangement?

First of all, you can’t see out the window very easily (see my previous post for more ranting on this subject.)

But it also makes it difficult to get work done. There’s no under seat storage for the briefcase. There’s minimal space for any work – papers, pads, computer, etc. The table (on which I now type) is nicely positioned. But if you want to type type type, and then pull out some paper to look it, it’s a lot more difficult than the traditional design, where you just reach under your seat and pull out what you need.

This feels like a seat that’s designed to have the passenger watch the video and sleep. And that’s it. That may be great for many, but I really would like to be able to get some work done and look out the window.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:08 am
Suspended

Good Points

Thanks. Some really good points here.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by jojojo
OK, just to get it out of the way, I’m very happy to fly in business, and much prefer it over coach. But am I the only one who doesn’t like the arrangement?

First of all, you can’t see out the window very easily (see my previous post for more ranting on this subject.)

But it also makes it difficult to get work done. There’s no under seat storage for the briefcase. There’s minimal space for any work – papers, pads, computer, etc. The table (on which I now type) is nicely positioned. But if you want to type type type, and then pull out some paper to look it, it’s a lot more difficult than the traditional design, where you just reach under your seat and pull out what you need.

This feels like a seat that’s designed to have the passenger watch the video and sleep. And that’s it. That may be great for many, but I really would like to be able to get some work done and look out the window.

Other than the seats being a little tighter as far as shoulder width goes, and the inability to get the armrest out of the way, I reckon you will not find too many on here that will agree with you that J on the 777 is not that good. How about putting your papers on the footrest part of the seat? FWIW, if you have the chance, try booking your flights on one of the new refurbished 747's, the seats face outwards, they are a little wider, more personal space, the tray tables are bigger, and the arm rest can be put down into the side of the seat so it is out of the way when your sleeping.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:05 am
k2

I'm pretty much with you. The 777 seats are great for sleeping, but average for everything else.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by k2
I'm pretty much with you. The 777 seats are great for sleeping, but average for everything else.
Nicely put.

They're below average for working and doing much else. Would sooner work in an EC seat, assuming the person next to me wasn't elephantine.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta SKYMILES GM 1MM, BRITISH AIRWAYS GOLD, HHONOURS DIAMOND, PRIORITY PASS
Rather give up the view than settle for the old style seats I have to put up with from DUB-JFK/ATL in the 767-300
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
See the 777 section - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-aircraft.html - this topic has been discussed MANY times...
Old Aug 5, 2012, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I like them, but I think I will like the refurbished 74S seats even better when I have the chance to try them.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Having made your point, would you rather fly in the old Business Class Seat on the airbus instead of the 777?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I agree with the OP. There is a lot of wasted space that becomes the space for the seat in front of you to recline. The new 747 seats work things out in a much more friendly manner, large amount of flat space for storage, computers, etc.

Any of the flat seats on any of the planes beats the old BE cradle seat overwhelmingly, but I found the 747 sleeper seat to have much more room, storage slots, table space etc.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
I agree about the window. Also, you're looking into other people's space. I much prefer the 764s.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
I agree about the window. Also, you're looking into other people's space. I much prefer the 764s.
+1 There is really no comparison in how much better the new 747 is vs the 777. I would also choose the 764 (or new 763) anyday over the 777.

The old recliner comments are n/a IMHO as you are comparing a 20 yr old product to a retrofit. The point is the 777 retrofit is now what I would consider a very POOR flat-bed product.

I much prefer a 2-3-2 flat-bed on KE (grabbing the internal aisle), AZ's 777 1-2-1 or the new MU 2-2-2 on the 33E. The DL 777 is just not a good flat-bed product when you factor in you have to:

-stare at the guy across the aisle for the entire flight
-have no real storage
-can't look out a window without straining
-get to have your head fall over the edge if you are over 6'-2".

Its a great domestic upgrade, but if using miles or money unless its much more convenient or there are no other bed competitors I would choose another option.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OLYflyer
+1 There is really no comparison in how much better the new 747 is vs the 777. I would also choose the 764 (or new 763) anyday over the 777.

The old recliner comments are n/a IMHO as you are comparing a 20 yr old product to a retrofit. The point is the 777 retrofit is now what I would consider a very POOR flat-bed product.

I much prefer a 2-3-2 flat-bed on KE (grabbing the internal aisle), AZ's 777 1-2-1 or the new MU 2-2-2 on the 33E. The DL 777 is just not a good flat-bed product when you factor in you have to:

-stare at the guy across the aisle for the entire flight
-have no real storage
-can't look out a window without straining
-get to have your head fall over the edge if you are over 6'-2".

Its a great domestic upgrade, but if using miles or money unless its much more convenient or there are no other bed competitors I would choose another option.
So would you vote in this order?

747 (refurbed of course)
777?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

who in their right mind wants to work anyway on a long haul flight. drop the PC and pick up a drink, a pair of Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones and enjoy the ride. ^
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
I also am not that crazy about the 777 BE seat. But will always take it over EC.

I have only flown CO, DL & UA in C. If I had to rank those three...

1. CO ( I realize it is UA now, but the CO 777 config is my favorite)
2. DL
3. UA ( IMHO, by far the worst of the three.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.