Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I got Silver Medallion, what does it really mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

I got silver medallion status through the AMEX-Delta transfer and read what it says a SM gets, but would like to know real world. I have quite a few Delta flights upcoming and would like to make sure I take advantage of what I can.
I dont really ever check bags so thats not a real benefit, from what I have read on here I am not really expecting upgrades from it. What do I do to even try and get one? I get priority boarding correct, and get to beat the cattle rush? And what does preferred seats mean? I have 2 legs this weekend and next where I cant choose seats that are shoing available and was told its held for Medallion members (it wasnt showing on my Skymiles acct at the time) but it still wont let me choose seats even though I am now. How do I go about trying to get to pick a seat - Is there a time line to do this? They are both connecting flights, so I wont be there very early at all...
Sorry to sound ignorant, just never had airline status before, only hotel...
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
This should help you....

All the answers to your questions are on the website. Just remember to click on the links to get more info and read the fine print/footnotes.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Back in the day, to get your new medallion status to show up on previously purchased itins (so you can get ug's, preferred seats and such) you need to call and have PSS 're-insert' your SM # into the res. This opens up the preferred seating and puts you on the ug list. I'm not sure if this is still the case as it's been years since I had to go through that process. It's not painful, just a quick phonecall.

You can already see the preferred seats, you just can't select them. Other than exit rows, they're no different than any other coach seat. You will get to board in zone 2, before the unwashed masses that you have just emerged from. It's a big deal as you are now all but guaranteed overhead space right at your seat.

As for upgrades, well, unless you can choose your travel and select times when no one normal wants to travel, don't count on one. In fact, hold very little hope and rejoice when you do get one. That's not to say it won't happen. I was 90% last year as FO (silver). As I travel for (mostly) pleasure, I carefully select my flights so I have the best chances.

Other than that, not much different. Shorter wait times on the phone, slightly better treatment during irrops, 25% bonus on SM accrual, basically stuff from the list Crackerpup links to.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
You get to go " DON'T YOU KNOW I AM A SILVER MEDALLION" when you board through the general boarding lane.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Let's see, once you learn the secret handshake, FO entitles you to a luggage tag, unlimited guaranteed upgrades on all CRJ200s (where available), unlimited use of the general population security lines, unlimited SkyClub access (requires separate SC membership), unlimited Zone 4 boarding, and you will not be bothered by the FA thanking you like they do the GM, PM, DM, general member, and non-member passengers on your flight.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
If you have flexibility and upgrades are important you should have good success.

I started flying Delta December 2nd this past year. I don't even know how many flights I took, but while Silver on my way to Gold I got upgraded 100% of my flights. I did pick and choose which flights I wanted to be on and used expertflyer to research which flights I would most likely get upgraded on. I did fly to Central America twice and RDU-SEA during that time and those were very welcome upgrades. I also did travel twice thru ATL although a few flights it wasn't until the gate that I knew I had them.

Before this I traveled on AA and always had good luck with them too but unless you are explat you PAY for the upgrades... LOL

Even if you don't get upgrades, having first choice of seats (exit row is my normal preference) can be very nice!

I also had several times when I had IRROPS and having Status (and maybe being in the skyclub?) seemed to help me get preferential treatment.

I haven't flown on Delta nearly as much as most people here, but so far I really like Delta and having status on them.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Coming from the unwashed masses, lots of little things that make life more bearable. I wasn't silver for very long, but did get a few upgrades out of it. They're not unknown - just don't count on them.

Zone 2 boarding is a big deal if you're traveling with a carry-on (since you're not checking, I imagine you are.) So is preferred seating (exit rows and the front of the plane). As silver and above I have not gotten stuck with a middle seat. As a general member it can happen. I get the feeling that preferred seating in particular gets underplayed by those not accustomed to the alternative. This is normally automatic.

Better IROPS handling, access to medallion line. Skyclub helps for IROPS as well - don't deal with the poor overloaded rep handling rebooking - call delta or go to the skyclub and use an agent there, if you have access (amex plat?).

Overall just a bit better and more pleasant than general member.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Let's see, once you learn the secret handshake, FO entitles you to a luggage tag, unlimited guaranteed upgrades on all CRJ200s (where available), unlimited use of the general population security lines, unlimited SkyClub access (requires separate SC membership), unlimited Zone 4 boarding, and you will not be bothered by the FA thanking you like they do the GM, PM, DM, general member, and non-member passengers on your flight.
I am looking forward to all of these bennies...
I called and was able to book my seats as someone mentioned, so that helps...
Do I need something to board early, or will it show when they scan my BP? I dont have a luggage tag or know the secret handshake or anything... Can a wife, girlfriend or wife and girlfriend board get priority boarding as well if flying with me? I just like knowing I'll have overhead space...
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
With Privileges come obligations...

Along with these amazing benefits, you are obligated (when upgraded) to offer a foot massage to any and all DM members seated in First Class... but not to worry, this is only a theoretical obligation since you will not wind up being upgraded if there are any DM PM or GM members or companions or second cousins or NRSA ahead of you.

I hope this helps :-)

Last edited by KevinInMN; Feb 2, 2011 at 5:26 pm Reason: to add snappy little emoticon to soften the sarcasm :-)
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by barnburner
I am looking forward to all of these bennies...
I called and was able to book my seats as someone mentioned, so that helps...
Do I need something to board early, or will it show when they scan my BP? I dont have a luggage tag or know the secret handshake or anything... Can a wife, girlfriend or wife and girlfriend board get priority boarding as well if flying with me? I just like knowing I'll have overhead space...
You're not necessarily boarding early, just within the first few zones.

Your BP will say zone 2, unless you score the ug, then it will say Sky Priority and you board first. Or, if you clear the battlefield UG (GIDS says so) and you don't have a new BP, scan your old one and a new ticket will be spit out of the BP scanner.

Companions on the same itinerary can board with you in zone 2.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkey75
You're not necessarily boarding early, just within the first few zones.

Your BP will say zone 2, unless you score the ug, then it will say Sky Priority and you board first. Or, if you clear the battlefield UG (GIDS says so) and you don't have a new BP, scan your old one and a new ticket will be spit out of the BP scanner.

Companions on the same itinerary can board with you in zone 2.
Gotcha. Thanks.
And the possible upgrades? How do you go about that? I usually check in the night before, but I wont know then right? Talk to GA? Does that mean arriving as early as possible, or does that matter? I read somewhere there was a upgrade list you could watch?
Man and thanks for all the help so quickly!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL PM
In addition to what's already been mentioned:

I know you said you don't usually check bags, but if you do, you can check up to 2 bags, which can be overweight (each can weigh up to 70 lbs.) with no additional fees for the bags being heavy
If you need to check in at the airport for whatever reason, some airports have a separate line for Sky Priority (although it isn't always shorter!). Silver isn't Sky Priority, but IIRC, the signs usually say, in small letters, "and Silver Medallion."
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Gotcha. Thanks.
And the possible upgrades? How do you go about that? I usually check in the night before, but I wont know then right? Talk to GA? Does that mean arriving as early as possible, or does that matter? I read somewhere there was a upgrade list you could watch?
upgrades are largely processed automagically and you should automatically get put on the upgrade list. you might get upgraded 24 hours out, which would show online, but otherwise, if there is a screen at the gate, it will have the upgrade list on it that you can watch. you don't need to talk to the ga, and you don't need to check in early.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotcha. Thanks.
Re-look at your itinerary online. There's now a section to the right where it says "Upgrade: Requested". There's a radio button to view the list, but that goes away as the flight gets within a couple hours of departure.

When it clears, that will change to "Cleared" and you will have a new seat assignment. You'll get an e-mail, as well.

The FO window is 24hrs. I've often had them clear even further out than that (36-48hrs) but again, don't count on it.

It's okay to ask the GA where you are on the list if there's no GIDS, but obviously, don't be harassing.

Check-in time has no bearing to where you are on the list. The UG hierarchy is long and complicated and generally doesn't apply to you, since you're at or very near the bottom almost all of the time

Oh yeah, from now on, whenever you buy a flight when logged in with your FO SM#, it automatically assumes you want to request the upgrade and does so unless you tell it not to.

Last edited by tkey75; Feb 2, 2011 at 6:32 pm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ncwillett
If you need to check in at the airport for whatever reason, some airports have a separate line for Sky Priority (although it isn't always shorter!). Silver isn't Sky Priority, but IIRC, the signs usually say, in small letters, "and Silver Medallion."
At smaller outstations, Sky Priority/Sky Team Elite+ and Silver Medallion/Sky Team Elite are indeed combined into a single queue at the ticketing counter. In larger markets, however, these two groups are split into separate lines.

Sometimes at BOS, the Silver line is shorter than the Sky Priority line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.