Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certain look required for first class?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hooverer
Had one pursor who gave me some real attitude about being upgraded into WBC on an AMS-MSP flight that I should be back with the other tourists (I had been confirmed upgraded on miles, no opup, then due to double booking, had to give up seat for what turned out to be a no show).

Later in the flight I mentioned to the pursor that it was not an issue for me that I was that last one to be asked what I wanted for dinner after others were taken care of as I knew they were busy and that on other WBC flights I had my share of being asked first for selection.

He asked what I meant and I explained my other travels and then he asked about my status and I shared with him, he disappeared, saw him looking at spil, then came back and was my new friend. Saw him on a different flight and he remembered me, needless to say I was not the last to be served .

However more often than not, if not in all situations once they look at spill/manifest or I show/tell them my status, travel habits their attitude changes 180 degrees. Especialy if Im polite too them while they are terse or unfriendly with me, at some point they thaw out which is probally a good case for having status info including MM on the manifests.

-H
I'm glad the problem purser finally started to treat you well. There's one (and only one) problem guy that I've encountered several times on MSP-AMS-MSP who seems to think that he should unilaterally decide who can ride in WBC. (How about non-revs?) He's crabby, grumpy, and doesn't want to bother to do his job beyond the bare minimum, all while exhibiting attitude toward some paying passengers like me. You'd think he would at least pay attention to status (I don't think the manifest shows who is traveling on an ungraded or free--not me--ticket) before deciding to insult me and treat me badly based on whatever he decides to assume. The last few times I encountered him, I knew before getting to my seat that it would be a bad flight, and I'm beginning to re-think my favorite seat because it's usually served by the purser. I think he must have enough seniority to always fly as the purser and not sometimes as a regular FA in WBC like most of the purser-qualified crew doing international out of MSP. I suspect we're talking about the same guy, so maybe your most recent experiences should give me some hope.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:57 am

Once upon a time, flying was a treat. I would always wear a jacket and a good shoes. I usually got a hot meal - even in coach.

Now, in 2009, flying is no longer a pleasure and being Platinum on a few airlines, and usually being upgraded, merely makes it tolerable. Gone is the jacket and nice shoes - since I have to take shoes off anyway, sneakers or casual shoes are the order of the day.

Life is too short for rude agents. Get their name and post it and the route here. If the jerk gets mentioned a few times, perhaps Delta will notice.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
I didn't get his name as I was biting my tongue and trying to behave but I am sure delta can figure out what agent checked my bag.

Someone said I may be passing judgement by thinking people should dress nicely when they fly. I don't think I am you can be in shorts and a wife beater and still be dressed nicely. I think getting on a plane is like going to the mall or work on a Friday and it also depends on where your going or what you plan to when you arrive.

Sorry for any errors on my iPhone waiting for my next flight
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by DAYflier
I disagree. In my opinion, saying "folks should dress nicely when they fly" doesn't ipso facto make you a judgmental fashionista. For example, I saw a guy on a flight yesterday wearing jorts and a dirty t-shirt in FC SEA-JFK. Did I look twice? Sure. Does that make me a fashionista? Gosh I hope not; I don't look the part.
I suppose on this front, there's probably a minimum that should be managed, but that really goes for any flier, not just F.

Example, a couple years back I was on a MEM-SFO flight in F. Guy sitting across the aisle from me was wearing sweat pants and a pretty grubby shirt. The look, I didn't care about, but the smell was another story. Not sure if it was laundry day or something, but it pretty much smelled like the guy had either just come from the gym, or had not washed those clothes in a few weeks. I ended up spending most of the flight standing the back galley talking with the crew and the guy sitting next to the "offender". The lead FA was debating on how/what to say to the guy. She made several extra trips through the cabin with coffee to try and cover the smell a bit.

Moral of the story, if you look dirty that's one thing. If you smell the part too.... try to have some consideration for your fellow passengers. After all, we're all confined to the same small space for however long it may be.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Speaking of smells I thought my feet smelled funny on my flight but then I realized it was the dog sitting with the passengers in front of me.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:56 am

Smile

There are very few perks remaining in flying first class. One perk that hasn't disappeared is the hanging of the suitcoat. For this reason I ALWAYS wear suit and tie when travelling.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:07 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Sorry for any errors on my iPhone waiting for my next flight
Your N E X T flight????? How dare you take another Delta flight looking like "THAT!!!" You might get by in ATL. Since NYC is the fashion headquarters of the USA, I don't think ATL has "fashionista police" like NYC does!!

In reference to the post above, I was on a KL flight to AMS once, on the upper deck of a 747 (upgraded, not that it matters), and I really wasn't paying attention til landing. The guy next to me was wearing grey sweat pants as he slept the whole flight, like pajamas. Just before landing, he took the sweats off - YES, IN THE SEAT, displaying his underwear, and changed into business attire!! He must be European, They're soooo much more open and liberal there! It doesn't bother me any. I've seen more skin than that in Europe!!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:11 am

Sorry to hear about the rude service. Your ticket should determine your line and seat not your attire. Though I do believe in dressing for success and that clothes make the man (woman), assumptions should never be made like that.

Although I will say you are lucky. I take the red-eye to LAX-JFK a lot in a suit as I have to hit the ground running as soon as I get off the plane. A few years back, they were building out the new AA terminal at JFK and I got a lot of guff from the union laborers working at the site. Talk about rude, you would have thought I was Madoff. I caught a lot of smack talk and rude behavior just for being in a suit and walking past these guys working or “on break” or getting a coffee.

At least you have an airline to complain to, I cannot imagine a letter or phone call to the Teamsters local would have done much good.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
I wear a biz suit to work on a regular basis, but fly a lot for a different gig - and always travel in jeans, t-shirt, fleece (in winter). One time I was in FC, got up to use the restroom, and got accosted by the FA hanging by the galley, as I was entering...
"You really should use the restroom assigned to your cabin of service, sir"
"Um, excuse me?"
"This restroom is for FC passengers only"
"Um, I'm in 2D"
"May I see your boarding pass?"
"Are you kidding? You served me a Coke Zero before takeoff - but here it is...."
"Oh! I'm so sorry!" 5 minute apology....another one halfway across the US, and then one as I departed the plane. I forgave her after the first apology, but it was nice to (1) have her protecting the FC restroom and (2) showing some remorse after a blunder. I wonder if my Platinum on my boarding pass had anything to do with that?

I fly into LAX and SD ALOT - and there is absolutley no such thing as a FC dress code! Bling, wife beaters, mohawks, sandals, distasteful t-shirts, heck, I've seen it all up there. No worries, though. I figure everyone up there is there for a reason (the cash to purchase or enough travel to upgrade) and they are some sort of network opportunity. Who knows if that guy in the wife beater will sign up for something I want to sell him, or get me tickets to the Super Bowl. I judged no one....
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I fly in a tshirt, jeans and sandals, all the time, every time. I'm 31, but look early 20's especially if I'm wearing a baseball hat that hides my not-quite-early-20's hairline.

I do occasionally get a little extra scrutiny when entering the First check-in line if there is someone monitoring it, which is always alleviated when I just say 'Yes' to the 'Are you flying F today?' question and do also very occasionally get a look from other F passengers, but that's pretty rare.

I also tend to fly off-peak times, so usually not flying the same time as those running to or coming from business meetings (late-night flights to anywhere, mid-day flights out of the east coast, and red-eyes back from the west coast), so that helps a bit.

That said, I have generally found that the level of service you get from TA's/FA's is inversely proportional to the cost of living in the area of the airport. Small stations? Great service. MSP/DTW? Great service. LAX and JFK? Good luck! I figure that in high-cost-of-living areas, people who are capable of good customer service are in jobs that pay better than the GA/TA gig does, while in lower cost of living areas the GA/TA gig is a pretty good gig that does attract quality employees.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by mudala
There are very few perks remaining in flying first class. One perk that hasn't disappeared is the hanging of the suitcoat. For this reason I ALWAYS wear suit and tie when travelling.
What, you don’t think the FA would hang up your WWE hoodie if you asked them to?

Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
The first time I used the elite/fc line at SLC, there was an agent yelling "First class on the left, International on the right (that's when the International check in was where the elite line is now). I still didn't have my medallion card so I didn't have any way to prove that I was a silver.
"Sir, where are you heading?"
"Seoul"
"I was very clear stating that International Passengers need to go to the right line"
"Thanks for your suggestion" Kept walking towards the FC line and completely ignored her.
5 minutes later, right when I was the next one to check in, and with a bunch of people behind me and looking at the scene, she came with a supervisor. The supervisor stated "Sir, I'm afraid you have to go to the other line, this line is reserved to our frequent flyers, like the agent mentioned to you before".
I responded "Thanks for your continuous support, I'm glad as a silver medallion flying first class today I have a reserved line".
After that, every time I see the agent she nicely ask me where I'm going to and wishes me a good trip.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Am I supposed to look old and white to fly first?
You left one out, male. LOL

I get asked all the time if I'm flying F when I'm in the F/Medallion line and my guess is because I am a woman, not a businessman.

Online check-in and the kiosk are far more gender, age, and colorblind, thank goodness.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Intercontinental Ambassador, HHonors Silver
Longtime FlyerTalk lurker, first time poster....

I'm 27 years old (and look younger, I'm told) and have been GM or PM for the past three years....my employer won't pay for upgrades, but due to my Medallion status I get upgraded frequently on domestic flights. I have on several occasions had disgruntled fellow travelers actually SAY SOMETHING to me when head for the gate after Zone 1 is called....usually it's a harmless "Oh, you know that's only for First, right?", but occasionally it's a more sarcastic "Wow, have fun up front." I usually wear jeans and a graphic tee onboard, but I top it off with a suit jacket so I don't come off as overly sloppy.

I don't remember ever being "profiled" by DL employees, but other flyers are another matter....I've had people glare at me in the security lines at LAX and ATL, and of course the requisite "How did YOU get up here?" looks from Coach passengers filing past the F cabin while boarding....

People still seem to think that everyone flying in F is either a celebrity or a relative of Mr. Burns. Maybe if I had a monocle....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.