Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Certain look required for first class?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
Decline the upgrade and take the exit row. Still get good leg room and the odds of sitting next to the opposite gender increase dramatically.

You can double your odds by taking the middle seat of the exit row.
Too true. However, by not taking an exit row might actually increase your chances...(since most probably aren't elite)
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Plat, Starwood Plat, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Very appropos of this thread, I guess we're lucky no one has yet encountered this on DL / NWA, or at least reported it here:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/man-...-united-110309

I've never worn a track suit but I've done shorts and t-shirt in FC.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by DLBosPvdFF
Very appropos of this thread, I guess we're lucky no one has yet encountered this on DL / NWA, or at least reported it here:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/man-...-united-110309

I've never worn a track suit but I've done shorts and t-shirt in FC.
I wear a track suit all of the time on TATL and TPAC flights and I almost always fly BE. For domestic, it's jeans and a nice shirt... I've never been denied boarding in first or BE.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by BOS2DCA
I'm in my 40s. I was going to SFO last Friday and I was the youngest person in F. There were a bunch of retirees in golf shirts and well-coiffed ladies my mother's age. That's more like a Florida FC experience. Most of the time I'm the only woman in F or one of the few women.
A lot of the time I'm the only woman in F, but have increasingly seen more of us especially coming out of Tampa. So the "Florida FC experience" may be more of working women than retirees. BTW... I'm 60, travel a lot for business, and have almost 150K miles so far this year.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by raehl311
Decline the upgrade and take the exit row. Still get good leg room and the odds of sitting next to the opposite gender increase dramatically.

You can double your odds by taking the middle seat of the exit row.
I like the previous idea better. Upgrade the ladies. I'd generally rather buy F than sit in a middle seat, exit or not.

Originally Posted by Compfreak
Too true. However, by not taking an exit row might actually increase your chances...(since most probably aren't elite)
bite your tongue.

On second thought, I hate talking to people on planes so strike the whole thing and keep the scheme as it is.

Last edited by El Boocho; Nov 4, 2009 at 9:10 am
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
So I was speaking with my friend who is Plat on Delta and Executive Plat on American.

I was telling her about what happened, as she had seen me in what I was wearing. I was asking her if I looked bummy and she said no I looked good. She was excited she thought I wanted to ask her to go shopping with me but anyway.

After I told her my story she told me in 2k6 she was flying Delta and her flight was canceled due to some mechanical issue.

They were putting passengers in a Hotel.

The Delta Agent doing the Hotel Voucher tells her and another Latina that since they are both Latinas they can share a hotel room and insisted on it. While everyone else was able to get their own room with out having to share.

Delta eventaully gave her a huge voucher she said, after she complained.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Compfreak
In my anecdotal personal experience, I end up with more women than men in the exit row. But even if the odds were better in a non-exit row, no girl is worth the leg room!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:57 am

So ironic I read this thread. Coming home from a meeting this week and in line at First/Med to drop a bag behind a very agitated man wearing casual business attire. After a few more minutes of the line not moving, he grabs his bags and races through the lobby to the lobby agent and demands she goes through the F/M line as "there is no way some of them are in the right line - you can tell by the way they are dressed!" I watch the interaction and he proceeds to get mad at the lobby agent telling her the line is supposed to be F/M only and she's not doing her job. The agent tells him she cannot discriminate against someone based on what they are wearing and says " you'd be surprised Sir". As medallions we enjoy the exclusivity of our own lines etc but then get snippy when asked by agents if belong there, I see it all the time.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: DL SM, AMEX Gold
Originally Posted by Moebius01
Personally, I've only been questioned once (the 6'7" part might have something to do with that ) which was by a passenger, and I happened to be on a paid F ticket that time to boot. Guy in line behind me muttered something about only first class boarding and hating people who try to board when it's not their time. I ignored him the first two times, then as I got to the GA he asked the GA "Didn't you say ONLY first class was boarding?". The GA already had my boarding pass in hand and politely told him that I was traveling in first. I turned around and told him he might want to allow his brain to work a bit before opening the lips, smiled and boarded.
i just don't understand why people get involved at all who is boarding when. If I am lucky to get an upgrade, I don't really care if somebody boards for coach. Enforcing the proper zone boarding is the GA job, not other PAX. It's not like the guy will steal your seat anyway.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:51 am
Original Poster

@female_flyer I don't mind being asked if I belong. But there is a way to ask.

GA TA FA PA MA (I added more A's in there than there actually are) shouldn't assume I don't belong or anyone else doesn't belong because of what I or they look like or something. Don't imediately tell me "The Regular People line" is on the other side.

If you are worried that I am blind and can't read the sign that says "First class and Medallion" then make a general annoucement and say its a first class medallion line only. Don't make it obvious that you are just directing the message to one person either.

When I was young and worked in Retail and hell if you ever watch that hooker show on HBO with the bunny ranch. My old boss when I worked Retail and the Hookers from that show all say the ones that typically dress the nicest are the ones that typically can't afford, and the cheap ones tend to be the rich ones.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: AA - PP
Originally Posted by xraybeachy
i just don't understand why people get involved at all who is boarding when. If I am lucky to get an upgrade, I don't really care if somebody boards for coach. Enforcing the proper zone boarding is the GA job, not other PAX. It's not like the guy will steal your seat anyway.
For the most part, I tend to agree. About the only time I'd say otherwise is when I'm in coach on a full flight where the overhead bins are going to be totally full. Times like that, I get upset when someone jumps in when they're not supposed to and the GA just doesn't care. Especially when said someone has a giant roller they have no business carrying on anyway.

That said, one thing I have noticed since the 4 zone process is that the GAs seem to be better about enforcing it. Not 100% of the time, but definitely better than they once were.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
My old boss when I worked Retail and the Hookers from that show all say the ones that typically dress the nicest are the ones that typically can't afford, and the cheap ones tend to be the rich ones.
Well shoot. If the hooker show says that than it must be true.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Ok that ws a bad example but that one one of the two places I heard that. lol
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Unless I'm flying out in the afternoon after working or in the morning and have to go directly to work, ignore my cargo shorts, flip flops and parrothead t-shirt! I can't say I always look like I 'belong' in first, but then again, what's first, other than a bigger seat.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Am I supposed to look old and white to fly first?
Funny, just read the entire thread, and it seems most of the posters thought it was about dress. Seems to me that the GA was making assumptions based on the combination of age and race, which is flat out wrong and should be a terminatable offense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.