Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
Actually they just changed the way they expire last weekend. Now if you close your credit card you have 30 days to use them AND they'll be the first to be used. Just wait a few days after closure then you should be ok to redeem.
Any recent experience for how long this lag is? I closed my TYP Premier Visa last weekend, but my points summary still shows no expiring points. Argh.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by beltway
Any recent experience for how long this lag is? I closed my TYP Premier Visa last weekend, but my points summary still shows no expiring points. Argh.
Do you get any grace period for the 33% bonus? I have some points remaining, which I want to use for a mini-vacation over Presidents Day in 2014, but my annual fee will be due 5 days before Presidents Day day tix come online.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Do you get any grace period for the 33% bonus? I have some points remaining, which I want to use for a mini-vacation over Presidents Day in 2014, but my annual fee will be due 5 days before Presidents Day day tix come online.
I don't believe there's any grace period. However, I also have a TY Premier MC, which figures into my plan to redeem the Visa-derived points.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I merged the TYP from my Vusa and MC . Did I make a mistake when I want to
Cancel one or the other. TYP show on both cards online .

FYI Callled retentions on MC 4 months before AF was due and was offered 5k bonus for $1K spend in 3 months . Took it .

Now as to my first question . Any damage ?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:54 pm

I closed my TYP Premier Visa last weekend, but my points summary still shows no expiring points. Argh.
A clarification for anyone who may be unclear (as I was) on how this works:

• Once you close a TYP card, you have 30 days to use the points from that card before they expire.
  • Citi will now -- unlike in the past -- use those points first, except in the rare case where you have other points expiring even sooner.
  • However, the TYP website will not show these soon-to-expire points as expiring, no matter how far down into your TYP points summary you drill.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Usually just a day or two but their expiry seems to be broken. Might want to call and have them note your account with the amount necessary to use from your closed account. Then if they fix the expiry, your closed account point were not used first you have some recourse.

Maybe they'll just give up on expiration altogether. Most of their current products don't.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
their expiry seems to be broken.
I just booked two airline tickets using points, and the deduction came from the points associated with my recently canceled card. So it seems like the system is working, just not clearly displaying which points are expiring.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A clarification for anyone who may be unclear (as I was) on how this works:

• Once you close a TYP card, you have 30 days to use the points from that card before they expire.
  • Citi will now -- unlike in the past -- use those points first, except in the rare case where you have other points expiring even sooner.
  • However, the TYP website will not show these soon-to-expire points as expiring, no matter how far down into your TYP points summary you drill.
I just booked two airline tickets using points, and the deduction came from the points associated with my recently canceled card. So it seems like the system is working, just not clearly displaying which points are expiring.
Thank you very much for posting this valuable information!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Originally Posted by Happy
Thank you very much for posting this valuable information!

can anyone see the points expiration summary on their thankyou accounts any more? I can't seem to find that page on the new website.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1
can anyone see the points expiration summary on their thankyou accounts any more? I can't seem to find that page on the new website.
See post 71
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:39 am

So reading through this thread, am I correct that points do not expire as long as the source they were earned with is still open, and once it's closed, you have a 30 day grace period? Or is that no longer true?

One thing I was not clear on -- if you upgrade or downgrade a card, does that count as closing it for points expiration purposes?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Any one else receive this e-mail? Surprised I have any points expiring since I earn all my points through the premier credit card and that is still open. Thankfully it's a very small number so it doesn't really matter.

"We are writing to notify you of a recent adjustment made to your ThankYou Member Account.

Due to a system error, your online ThankYou Member Account statement did not reflect the correct expiration date for some of your ThankYou Points. In the process of correcting this error, we identified (number deleted) points that should have already expired or are due to expire before April 15, 2013.

As a result, we have adjusted the expiration date of these points to give you until July 15, 2013 to redeem the impacted points. In addition, we have reviewed your online ThankYou Member Account Points Summary to ensure that all of your ThankYou Points are associated with the correct expiration dates, as specified in your sponsor account materials.

To check your point balance and expiration status of all your ThankYou Points, please visit your online account statement at www.thankyou.com."
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:48 pm

Sorry if I missed this upon reading the thread, but I have to cancel my PremierPass tomorrow and the recent 50K+ bonus points/purchase points show up as NA. I have other sponsor accounts as well with all varying TYP expiration dates. Upon my card cancellation tomorrow and after a few business days, the PP bonus points marked NA will show up as expiring within 30 days on the TY website?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:30 pm

Book two nights with points to close out card and purchase a 3rd on same reservation?

I want to use up my TY points before canceling the credit card. Have enough points for two hotel night stays but it will be a three night stay. Is it possible to book two nights with TY points and at the same time pay for a third, all on the same booking?

Not sure which hotel I'll use. But I've found that some properties have you check out of your hotel room, then check back in all over again, if you have one night on points and another paid night (for example, a Priceline bid night). It's a little annoying. So I try to avoid those situations where I can.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I want to use up my TY points before canceling the credit card. Have enough points for two hotel night stays but it will be a three night stay. Is it possible to book two nights with TY points and at the same time pay for a third, all on the same booking?

Not sure which hotel I'll use. But I've found that some properties have you check out of your hotel room, then check back in all over again, if you have one night on points and another paid night (for example, a Priceline bid night). It's a little annoying. So I try to avoid those situations where I can.
Not sure, but I believe when redeeming for airfare it allows you purchase a more expensive ticket and pay for the balance not covered by points. So maybe it works the same for hotel booking?

Otherwise, you could just redeem for a gift card of some sort, couldn't you? I'm not sure how varied the gift card options are though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.