Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gya007
Its in these footnotes for a reason - and THAT's exactly my point. Footnotes are meant to be read only by the careful folks...

Also, they've got small ads on thankyou.com, that only talk to about points transfer with ZERO mention of expiry.

Anyway, this expiry is new on transferred points. E.g. :SPG doesn't have this nonsense
I guess it is too hard a requirement for people to read terms and conditions before doing something?

It is not new. The condition has always been there.

This is not a new program, the program has been in place since 2005, and the last major overhaul of the program happened in Mar 2009 - a good 3 years ago.

Marriott also requires you to redeem the transferred points right away. In fact Marriott does NOT even allow transfer UNLESS it is for a redemption. So you can also put Marriott in the same camp as Citi, actually it is even worse because it can only be transferred when there is a SPECIFIC redemption waiting for the points. Otherwise you cannot even be able to.

SPG has been too generous in the past - no wonder now they put in same address rule to at least have some safeguarding and try to prevent trading points which of course is against SPG's T&Cs.

However, based on past reported data, Citi actually is quite customer-friendly when people goofed up with their TYP redemptions. Case in point, when customers purchased more than enough TYPs to redeem an award, and later found out they actually did not need to purchase that many because airfares had dropped - the CSRs were able to immediately process a refund on the extra purchased. Reported multiple times by folks in the very long running TYP thread in the past.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 8, 2012 at 6:37 pm Reason: Added some reference
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Marriott also requires you to redeem the transferred points right away. In fact Marriott does NOT even allow transfer UNLESS it is for a redemption. So you can also put Marriott in the same camp as Citi, actually it is even worse because it can only be transferred when there is a SPECIFIC redemption waiting for the points. Otherwise you cannot even be able to.
Yes, but with Marriott, if the booked award is canceled, the points are credited to the account they were transferred to. Also AFAIK, the expiration policy is the same as the points that were not transferred (unlike Citi TY wherein the transferred points expire in 90 days). Pls let us know if u had a different experience.

Last edited by gv111; Jul 8, 2012 at 8:17 pm
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Happy
However, based on past reported data, Citi actually is quite customer-friendly when people goofed up with their TYP redemptions. Case in point, when customers purchased more than enough TYPs to redeem an award, and later found out they actually did not need to purchase that many because airfares had dropped - the CSRs were able to immediately process a refund on the extra purchased. Reported multiple times by folks in the very long running TYP thread in the past.
Good to know - hopefully that means they will be generous and extend my expiration date.

As to your question of just reading terms, been just a tad busy lately and rushed through it. I haven't been involved in TY points at all until Jan this year, so still a learning process there.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: IHG platinum, Hilton diamond, Hyatt platinum, Marriott gold
What about combine my 2 cards' points (one Visa, one Master)? Is there any expiration day apply?
Also what if I cancel one of the cards?
Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gv111
Yes, but with Marriott, if the booked award is canceled, the points are credited to the account they were transferred to. Also AFAIK, the expiration policy is the same as the points that were not transferred (unlike Citi TY wherein the transferred points expire in 90 days). Pls let us know if u had a different experience.
That is the reason WHY no one should generalize one program to another as far as program rules go.

Just because SPG never expire on the transferred points, or Marriott would refund back the points to the transferred in account if the ressie is canceled, does not mean TYP would have the same practice.

Originally Posted by sjlin0121
What about combine my 2 cards' points (one Visa, one Master)? Is there any expiration day apply?
Also what if I cancel one of the cards?
Thanks.
As long as both cards are open, the points dont expire.

However points from each card is associated with the card even though when redeem, they act like a commingle pool. When you cancel a sponsor card, you have 30 days to use up the points associated with that canceled sponsor card.

Go to your TYP account you can see for yourself that points earned are CLEARLY stated from which card.

TYP dont have expiration date as long as the sponsor card remains open. However though nobody knows for sure, we suspect that at redeem, there is still some sort of order from where the points get pull first - probably the points earned the earliest, got pull first. Those who have made recent redemption should be able to see which layer of points got pulled first and can chime in their experiences.

Last edited by mia; Jul 9, 2012 at 7:21 am
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:47 am

Go to your TYP account you can see for yourself that points earned are CLEARLY stated from which card.
Specifically, while logged into your TYP account,
  • click on your "available points" total at the top of the home page
  • click on "expiring" (on the right-hand side)
  • click "show all"
Or just go to https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx

Last edited by beltway; Jul 9, 2012 at 8:15 am
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Good news - got my points back (or they will be returned at least). Whew!

Thank you for contacting our Customer Service Center.
We have added 31,467 bonus ThankYou® Points from ThankYou Network. You
will see this adjustment on your statement within 2 billing periods. After
that time you may call ThankYou Network at 1-800-THANKYOU (1-800-842-6596),
Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight, ET, and Saturday, 10:00
a.m. - 8:00 p.m., ET, to redeem your ThankYou Points. You can also redeem
online at www.thankyou.com.
We look forward to providing you with the best possible service. If there
is anything we can do to further assist you, please let us know.

TYP dont have expiration date as long as the sponsor card remains open. However though nobody knows for sure, we suspect that at redeem, there is still some sort of order from where the points get pull first - probably the points earned the earliest, got pull first. Those who have made recent redemption should be able to see which layer of points got pulled first and can chime in their experiences.
I can confirm that if you transfer points from someone to yourself, then make a redemption, the points come from the batch of transferred points (with 90 day expiration date) first.

Last edited by mia; Jul 10, 2012 at 8:59 am
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4
I can confirm that if you transfer points from someone to yourself, then make a redemption, the points come from the batch of transferred points (with 90 day expiration date) first.
It depends. A Citi CSR told me (many years ago, to be sure) that the soonest-expiring points are always consumed first when you redeem. If your in-transferred points have the shortest shelf-life, then yes, they're the first to be used up.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Thank You Rewards

Any of you caught with TYRs with the clock running out unintended and no good use for them before they expire? Might have a workaround as I need to burn some STAT before my next batch comes in. This assumes, of course, that you can regift TYRs once gifted, like a Harvest Gold toaster still popping up in the wedding gift pile.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
...This assumes, of course, that you can regift TYRs once gifted, like a Harvest Gold toaster still popping up in the wedding gift pile.
4. The recipient of transferred Points may not transfer the Points received to another ThankYou Member.
We received three, yes three, combination electric-can-opener/ice-crusher/knife-sharpener appliances for our wedding. This exceeded our requirements by three.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by mia
We received three, yes three, combination electric-can-opener/ice-crusher/knife-sharpener appliances for our wedding. This exceeded our requirements by three.
Good 1 I got my laugh for today.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: Several dozen
But were those gems Harvest Gold or Avocado for the full tacky effect?

Thanks for the info about the TYRs - grabbing as many as I can now since using the Airline FF miles on my route for a group takes 40k while TYRs take 18K per seat. This particular airline has a card issued by that Libor rigging bank and I think the corruption rubbed off and they are miles rigging.

Originally Posted by mia
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Any of you caught with TYRs with the clock running out unintended and no good use for them before they expire? Might have a workaround as I need to burn some STAT before my next batch comes in. This assumes, of course, that you can regift TYRs once gifted, like a Harvest Gold toaster still popping up in the wedding gift pile.
There are a couple of existing threads that discuss uses for your TYR points. Let's keep this thread for expiration policies.

Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
There are a couple of existing threads that discuss uses for your TYR points. Let's keep this thread for expiration policies.

Thanks.
Could you please point me to those . Search TYP shows million threads
thanks
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Could you please point...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ent-state.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.