Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
It just cdan't be all that expensive to offer hybrid cards which do not require a whole change in the way American merchants do their business.
It's probably more expensive than you think. Running a separate production line (or contracting with someone to run a production line) for a small amount of cards is not cost-effective.

More and more people are reporting difficulties in using the antiquated US cards even at manned or womanned places (try using a magnetic strip card anywhere within the Netherlands railway system).
You may get that impression here on Flyertalk, but the reality is that a very small percentage of Americans travel abroad, a small percentage of this group goes to countries with Chip and PIN, and an even smaller percentage of this group are credit card aficionados who insist on using their fancy cards everywhere. It is simply not enough customers for the banks to care about. I have a friend in the UK right now who has reported no problems with his mag stripe card, despite the UK being one of the first countries to adopt Chip and PIN. Most staff know how to swipe a card, and if they don't, there is always cash. We may not realize it, but people like us are a small percentage of the population.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
It's probably more expensive than you think. Running a separate production line (or contracting with someone to run a production line) for a small amount of cards is not cost-effective.

You may get that impression here on Flyertalk, but the reality is that a very small percentage of Americans travel abroad, a small percentage of this group goes to countries with Chip and PIN, and an even smaller percentage of this group are credit card aficionados who insist on using their fancy cards everywhere. It is simply not enough customers for the banks to care about. I have a friend in the UK right now who has reported no problems with his mag stripe card, despite the UK being one of the first countries to adopt Chip and PIN. Most staff know how to swipe a card, and if they don't, there is always cash. We may not realize it, but people like us are a small percentage of the population.
Given the size of the population, even a small percentage is a lot of people. Of course the European country most often visited by Americans is the UK and after all the language spoken there is reasonably close to the language spoken by most Americans so there really is not that much of a communication problem in any event and lots and lots of tourists in most areas of the UK. Now try the same thing in France.

And as I said, there is one bank (Capital One) that has built its entire credit card program around foreign travellers!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by pinoymutt
Quick question -- has anyone with a Citi TY Premier card that has successfully requested the card with "Global Chip Capability" actually received one?

I'm on my 4th go around with Citi (supposedly they "overnighted" the card twice) and I haven't seen a thing. Every time call back, no record of the card being processed. On this last go around I got a "the notes say your card is ineligible."

I'm at my end's with Citi and may switch over to Chase. Last ditch effort is I just sent a tweet to @Askciti as was mentioned earlier in the thread -- but I'm not holding my breath.

Just curious I am the only one?
I successfully received both a basic TY card and a TY Preferred card both with "GCC" chips. Found a CSR that knew what she was talking about. At first she didn't think it was available for my cards but found a way. Seems like almost every citi card can be ordered with the chip now (I asked her to read me the list and it was very long). They came within the week in regular mail and included a third-page flyer on chip and signature. The only weird thing is the chips are smaller than my other chipped cards.

I did this more out of curiosity than need as I have a JP Morgan chip/sig and true chip/pin CIBC Infinite and Amex.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: CX GO
Originally Posted by mia
You can read VISA's official explanation in this post, and it has nothing to do with the ability of Americans to remember PINs. This decision may be sound for the introduction of EMV in the domestic USA market, but it's not ideal for those who travel to countries where PIN is the chosen verification method.
The conversation has been (understandably) US-focused, but just to give you some perspective from a place that has been chip + signature for several years now, I have been able to use my Hong Kong issued cards without problem at automated kiosks throughout Europe. I simply use the same PIN as I would for a cash advance (if I were to be so foolish), but the charge is processed as a normal purchase. Interestingly my HSBC issued card does not work - perhaps because HSBC requires a 6-8 digit PIN.

So I guess what I'm saying is that there should be plenty of precedent for card issuers in chip + signature countries to issue cards that function perfectly well in a chip + PIN environment (I'm assuming HK isn't alone in this regard).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by dcrombie
The only weird thing is the chips are smaller than my other chipped cards.
That was the first thing I noticed too when I first received my chipped CitiAAdvantage card. But seems like the size of the chip doesn't matter; didn't have any problems Chip-and-Signing at multiple places in Canada a few weeks ago.

One waiter in Vancouver even commented how small the chip was making it look better than any of his own cards.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: TK Elite+(*G), UA*S, IHG Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by dcrombie
I successfully received both a basic TY card and a TY Preferred card both with "GCC" chips. Found a CSR that knew what she was talking about. At first she didn't think it was available for my cards but found a way. Seems like almost every citi card can be ordered with the chip now (I asked her to read me the list and it was very long). They came within the week in regular mail and included a third-page flyer on chip and signature. The only weird thing is the chips are smaller than my other chipped cards.

I did this more out of curiosity than need as I have a JP Morgan chip/sig and true chip/pin CIBC Infinite and Amex.
You must have hit the jackpot with a CSR that knew the drill. I called yet again and was told this time my card is "not eligible at this time." I've tweeted @AskCiti as well and no one even gives me the time of day.

Very frustrating, and I guess it's time to give Chase another look and probably my business.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is one bank (Capital One) that has built its entire credit card program around foreign travellers!
I don't agree. Just because it's made all its cards friendly to foreign travelers in terms of forex fees, doesn't mean they expect that to be a major part of their business. Just look at their ads. Each ad is set in a separate location, but virtually always a location in the US. Capital One has build their Venture credit card program around travelers in general, but not specifically foreign travelers (just foreign travelers as a natural subset).

Btw, you don't need to be a foreign traveler at all to want to avoid forex fees. You can incur those just by purchasing stuff on websites that happen to be run by an overseas company in some cases (even if what you purchase will not result in travel outside the US)!

But you never (AFAIK) need a chip card for online transactions. So a chip card is somewhat different than a no-forex card, in that it only provides benefit to those who travel outside the country (and then want to use credit cards as much as possible, despite many guidebooks saying you should expect to have to pay cash for lots of things).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't agree. Just because it's made all its cards friendly to foreign travelers in terms of forex fees, doesn't mean they expect that to be a major part of their business. Just look at their ads. Each ad is set in a separate location, but virtually always a location in the US. Capital One has build their Venture credit card program around travelers in general, but not specifically foreign travelers (just foreign travelers as a natural subset).

Btw, you don't need to be a foreign traveler at all to want to avoid forex fees. You can incur those just by purchasing stuff on websites that happen to be run by an overseas company in some cases (even if what you purchase will not result in travel outside the US)!

But you never (AFAIK) need a chip card for online transactions. So a chip card is somewhat different than a no-forex card, in that it only provides benefit to those who travel outside the country (and then want to use credit cards as much as possible, despite many guidebooks saying you should expect to have to pay cash for lots of things).
Obviously, we can't quantify it. Every travel board I've come across goes through this issue and the #1 recommendation for foreign travel is almost always Capital One (although some report some negative comments about their customer service)...they and MBNA were traditionally the good guys with foreign transaction fees...that ended for MBNA DBA FIA when Bank of America bought their credit card portfolio. Since Capital One not only doesxn't add a foreign transaction fee, it eats the visa/mc fee which has to cost them some money. Why haven't they duped this program? The no foreign currency fee is their biggest claim to fame
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by pinoymutt
You must have hit the jackpot with a CSR that knew the drill. I called yet again and was told this time my card is "not eligible at this time." I've tweeted @AskCiti as well and no one even gives me the time of day.

Very frustrating, and I guess it's time to give Chase another look and probably my business.
When asked why you want to cancel your Citi cards, tell the account supervisor that Chase, US Bank and Andrews FCU offers a chip card for international purposes.

In all likelihood, that would end up pushing the right buttons for them to send out your chipped card right away as a form of retention.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: TK Elite+(*G), UA*S, IHG Plat, Avis First
Originally Posted by kebosabi
When asked why you want to cancel your Citi cards, tell the account supervisor that Chase, US Bank and Andrews FCU offers a chip card for international purposes.

In all likelihood, that would end up pushing the right buttons for them to send out your chipped card right away as a form of retention.
Actually tried that (used Chase as an example) and doesn't seem to phase them.

Someone from @Askciti finally responded and asked for my info to see if they can help me, so we'll see if this route works as per what other folks have seemed to have had some success with.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:53 pm

That might work of citi cared but I suspect they do not. And yes, I was very lucky to get a csr who knew what i was asking for but it did take some prodding as she originally said my cards didn't qualify for GCC.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Following VISA and MC, Discover now also joins in the ranks of moving to EMV starting 2013:

Discover Implements EMV Mandate for U.S., Canada and Mexico

Note of interest:

Discover’s approach to EMV is both universal and choice-centric, meaning the company will not restrict any channel, verification process or transaction type. Discover will support:

All card authentication channels – including online and offline
All cardholder verification methods – including both chip & PIN or chip & Signature transactions
All commerce channels – including contact and contactless (which includes mobile)
With 3 out 4 major networks in play, the lone standout is AMEX now.

Last edited by kebosabi; Mar 15, 2012 at 10:12 am
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:13 pm

Best bet is to get the Andrews FCU Globetrek Rewards card via joining the American Consumer Council (no cost) for full Chip-and-PIN. That's pretty much the only card available today that anyone can get without being a millionaire. On the bright side it has no annual fee.
Does it work at European railroad kiosks and other unattended stations?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Following VISA and MC, Discover now also joins in the ranks of moving to EMV starting 2013:

Discover Implements EMV Mandate for U.S., Canada and Mexico

Note of interest:

With 3 out 4 major networks in play, the lone standout is AMEX now.
I think this is a potential point of failure for their international cross-acceptance agreements. Retail card terminals will have to support JCB's and UnionPay's EMV applications on top of Discover's.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 5:17 pm

I just received my Citi AA Executive Mastercard with Chip & Sig card - didn't even ask Citi for it.

We'll see how this thing works in Mexico and Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.