Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2013, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
For questions on NEW applications for US Airways cards please use this thread:
USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K Bonus; AF not waived

Official: 10k annual bonus for existing cardholders will continue beyond 2014

Note: All links are expired

Related threads:
US Airways CC / Companion Certificates discussion thread
Barclays Retention Offers
Forced conversion to Aadvantage Mastercard

We will leave this thread open for questions from existing cardholders who applied using offers with the perpetual annual 10k bonus. Otherwise, please post on the ongoing thread on standard offers:
Current Offers: USAirways cards with no annual mileage bonus

Current Links:
30k + 10k anniversary + no annual fee for the first year (now says "Offer expired"); terms and conditions include offer specifics
[NOTE: Barclays is erratically enforcing the restriction "for Preferred members only," especially for those who leave off a membership number on the application. See recent experiences reported in the thread.]

There is a separate thread for a 40k+10k offer with $89 annual fee, no anniversary bonus: USAirways CC special Offer 40K + 10K BT Bonus; AF not waived

Expired Links:
30k at signup, 10k anniversary bonus, 10k with balance transfer, no fee first year - Landing Page (Ended 4/30/14)
Older 35K Link (older link not working)
Newer 35K Link (click on terms and conditions to see 35K bonus after first purchase, first year fee waived, and 10K anniversary bonus)

1) I applied for this card but got the message
We apologize for the inconvenience, but our website is experiencing technical issues.
Please contact us at 1-866-419-6437 or try again later.
What does this mean? What should I do?

Check your application status by visiting http://www.myapplicationstatus.com/

At Barclays, if you already have an online account, the card can also show up there before you get a notification from them. Obviously, that won't work if you don't yet have an online Barclays account from another card. But if it's not your first US card, you presumably do have an online account already.

2) What's the reconsideration line number?

866-408-4064. Only open M>F, 8am>5pm, Eastern.

3) How long after my first purchase does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles for the first-purchase bonus post with the statement showing the initial purchase.

4) For those people who got the targeted offer, how long after spending $750 in each of the 3 months does it take for the bonus miles to post in my account?

Miles posts two months after the end of the promotion period. For example, if your promo was to spend in June, July and August, the 15k bonus would post with October statement.

5) How can I get the anniversary 10K bonus points without paying the annual fee?

The annual bonus posts on the statement date of the month of anniversary. No need to "kick out" a statement. But if you are worried, you can put a few bucks on the card during that cycle thus generate a statement but it is NOT necessary.

AF is billed the last business day of the month of the anniversary (much better than Chase practice which is on the 1st day of the month). You have 60 days to cancel the card for the AF to be reversed. You also can use SM to cancel card and no need to call.

Note: I called to cancel the card (June, 2014), told them it was because the AF was too high, and they waived it. Still got the 10,000 points and the Companion Certs!!
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
but yeah, seems they wont tell ya the cats until you buy something! What a sham, eh?
In the case of a bonus on a Visa card, this will tell you what Visa thinks each merchant's category is: http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...tLoadAction.do

However, the card issuers tend to combine many categories into a bonus theme - lots of different things constitute a "restaurant" for example - so it's not foolproof
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
In the case of a bonus on a Visa card, this will tell you what Visa thinks each merchant's category is: http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...tLoadAction.do

However, the card issuers tend to combine many categories into a bonus theme - lots of different things constitute a "restaurant" for example - so it's not foolproof
thanks!

That seems to work when looking at "department stores" for example...

I think I could possibly find a Visa GC in my local Nordstroms, Kohls, Sears or H&M.

Foe ELECTRONICS it is telling me BestBuy near me IS one and so is RadioShack of course. One or both stores may have GCs too.

I could test this by purchasing a can of coke or something at some of them and then waiting to see what is what.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:59 pm

I wonder if you get twice the annual renewal bonuses...

Originally Posted by finster869
Data point: I have had my 1st World Premium US Air card since July of 2011. Saw the nice offer for preferreds ($89 fee waived 1st year; 30,000 miles, 10,000 anniversary miles, etc.) and decided to apply for a 2nd card. Received the "your application is pending review" screen message. Waited about 3 hours, grew impatient, and called the reconsideration line. I told them that I had applied earlier and received the "pending review" message, and wanted to see if they needed any additional information from me. Customer representative (Vinny), was very nice, asked questions about my income, employment and why I wanted a 2nd of the same card. I gave the stock answer of wanting to better track spending in different categories. He put me on hold to check out my credit, came back and told me I had been approved for the 2nd card. There was no need to modify my current credit line, just gave me a 2nd card with a nice credit line (but less than my 1st card). Both cards are already showing up on the usairwaysmastercard website.

Just as a point of reference, I use my 1st card extensively, but pay off the balance in full each month. I also have excellent credit. I am sure those were things were a factor, but this confirms it remains possible to get a 2nd US Airways World Premium card.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:36 am

how soon after the first purchase will you be credited?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by kr0n0s
I am guessing cuz It's been a while since I got my card but I wanna say once I made any spend it was like 6 weeks or less
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by kr0n0s
Couple of days after your first statement close.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
They are pretty tight on the security measures. They ask a lot more questions than any other credit card companies to verify my identity. Which is reassuring but also annoying. They told me that they feel they are not speaking to me even after all the questions so I have to send in an id, ss, and two statements. Hopefully that'll take care of things.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:29 pm

Just got re-aproved:

Cancelled approx. 2 months ago
Re-applied on September 28
Decision deferred
Nothing in mail for 10 days
Checked application status today: https://www.barclaycardus.com/app/japply/retrieve.do
Indicated not approved (letter coming in mail with reasons)
Called reconsideration: 866-369-1283 and requested application status
Was told they had tried to contact me but were unsuccessful
Then was asked security questions and to verify employer, how long employed, income, etc. and permission to review credit report (not sure if they re-pulled but no biggie since pull is Transunion)
Was asked why I had opened 5 new credit card accounts recently
Told them I was traveling a lot more now so applying for airline cards to get benefits like free bags, etc., and not for the credit line
Approved after agreeing to move credit line from another Barclay's card

In short, don't give up without calling reconsideration.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by HikerT
(not sure if they re-pulled but no biggie since pull is Transunion)
It's possible that second pull is Experian. They did that to me a couple times now after I called in for recon. Just something to keep in mind. I was hoping for a single Transunion hit each time, but ended up getting an Experian one as well.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:55 pm

Yikes, that would definitely stink. Will be interesting to see if it shows up on Experian.

Just checked Transunion (free via creditkarma.com) and no new inquiry shows up.

Edit: just checked Experian too (free every 6 months via quizzle.com) and no new inquiry either.

It would appear they didn't pull anything and just reviewed the Transunion report they had pulled 2 weeks ago.

Last edited by HikerT; Oct 9, 2012 at 9:01 pm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by HikerT
It would appear they didn't pull anything and just reviewed the Transunion report they had pulled 2 weeks ago.
My experience was that they pull a second time only if more than 30 days have passed since the original application.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:18 am

data point

cancelled card 9/29 (right before annual fee hit and right after 10k bonus anniversary miles posted). Applied 3 days later (10/2)....pending, was curious if they would approve me outright so waited (a week) until today (10/10) to call. Income verified no other questions....approved again. Another 50k (40k +10k in 12 months) and one of the few cards with no spend requirements these days. Good stuff.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by recharge2011
data point

cancelled card 9/29 (right before annual fee hit and right after 10k bonus anniversary miles posted). Applied 3 days later (10/2)....pending, was curious if they would approve me outright so waited (a week) until today (10/10) to call. Income verified no other questions....approved again. Another 50k (40k +10k in 12 months) and one of the few cards with no spend requirements these days. Good stuff.
Wow.

While this is another YMMV post, that is pretty good. I'm about a month removed from cancelling my card. I was going to wait 6 months, but might just add it into my December App-o-rama now.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:39 am

Do people recommend canceling the first card before applying for the second? I know people have gotten approved both ways, but just curious.

I applied for this during my April app-o-rama (4/22). My next one was 7/25, and now I'm looking at ~11/1. So it will have been 6+ months since the card, which I literally used once and never again. Under these facts, do people think canceling or keeping open is the better way to go? (Or do you think I should not even apply in Nov. and wait until the next round?)

For an $89 annual fee and 10k points/anniversary, that's essentially 0.89 cpm, which is a great deal anyway, so I don't mind keeping a card open...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:57 pm

IMHO, since Barclays, on a YMMV basis, is allowing 2 cards at once due to whatever accepted explanations (i.e. separate expenses, etc.) that essentially is no different than canceling a card and reapplying shortly thereafter--because it still requires some type of explanation at reconsideration, which some analysts/CSRs accept and others don't. So, I wouldnt spend a lot of time analyzing whether your odds are better canceling and reapplying in a short timeframe or simply applying for a 2nd card without canceling. It's just a matter of whatever [short] explanation you are comfortable giving that [logically] fits your fact pattern. And in my case, since they credited my 10k annual renewal B4 the annual fee hit, it was a no brainer to cancel and immediately re-apply with my [short logical] explanation--though I never needed it bc she didnt even ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.